[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

#1 Post by Mants » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm

i dunno if theres a thread on this one...

stage one is already completed, which includes a rear entrance from Sydney Street, and alterations to some of the shops by the new entrance.

Stage 2 is currently underway, part of the shopping centre on the southern side has been demolished to make room for the two level car park, which will add another 130 parks to the complex. this car park will be located on the corner or Portrush Road and Cator Street.

another part of the centre has been partial demolished aswell, and car parks have been constructed there.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] #COM: Burnside Village Redevelopment - $107 million

#2 Post by Will » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

From the Messenger:
$100m expansion for shopping hub

newsBusiness23 Mar 10 @ 07:30am by Adam Todd

THESE are the first public images of the $100 million Burnside Village redevelopment, which is set to kick off in July.

The expanded shopping hub, owned by the Cohen Group, will be built around the centre’s famous 12m tall River Red Gum, which will be covered with a large glass ceiling.

There will be an extra 35 shops, taking the overall total to 120, when the revamp is finished in April 2012.

The centre also will have 1150 car parking spaces, up from 650.

Cohen Group development manager Peter Cohen said about 70 per cent of the new shops had already been let.He would not reveal who had taken up the tenancies until later in the year.

“We’re keeping about 30 per cent, some of the prime sites, for special exclusive tenancies that you won’t find anywhere else in South Australia or even Australia,” he said.

Mr Cohen said the new shops would have a strong fashion and lifestyle focus.

“We’re building a fashion conscious and orientated shopping centre to serve the community, with high-end lifestyle, high-end fashion but for all age groups and budgets.”

The new centre also will have a medical centre and pharmacy.

Mr Cohen said building around the tree would allow for two-storey shops with 6m high shopfronts.

“That’s extraordinarily tall, it will be unique encompassing the existing gum tree.”

The redevelopment will expand the shopping centre north, meaning the demolition of the Pavilion building, which houses Sussan, and the old Glenside Shopping Centre, which includes the bakery, fruit and veg store and Flight Centre. Mr Cohen said those tenants were being relocated.

“Obviously there’s going to be a bit of disruption, because you can’t avoid noise and dust with the cranes, but from a customer perspective, there’ll be no change.”

Mr Cohen said this was Stage 3 in a seven-stage redevelopment process.

He said the next stage would involve an upgrade to the existing centre to the south, which was built 20 years ago.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: #PRO - Burnside Village Redevelopment - $100 million

#3 Post by crawf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Looks impressive, interesting to see which stores will open up there.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:55 pm

Building a roof over a tree.... hrmmmz. Has it stopped growing?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Vee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 pm

monotonehell wrote:Building a roof over a tree.... hrmmmz. Has it stopped growing?
And it's a River Red gum - aren't they renowned for dropping limbs?
Roof over a tree does not appeal. It's more like an oxymoron.
However, a large glass covered area should be very welcome during the cold and windy weather.

I would like to see a more lively precinct, extending beyond usual shopping hours, incorporating more cafes with an outdoor component. Burnside has an excellent reputation for fashion so keen to see how they will cater for 'more ... lifestyle' and 'for all age groups and budgets'.

Burnside SC wavers between extremes of really busy and really dead. This 7 phase redevelopment should breathe new life into the jaded sections and, hopefully, extend its appeal and custom with a lively after hours cafe precinct.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Splashmo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 pm

I can't believe they're spending $100m on something like Burnside Village... then I think about it and I guess that makes sense. Burnside Village is our local so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Mpol » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 pm

All these revdeleopments happening in the burbs. Fantastic to see.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by yousername » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:35 am

Splashmo wrote:I can't believe they're spending $100m on something like Burnside Village... then I think about it and I guess that makes sense. Burnside Village is our local so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
Last time I was there, looked as nice as always. Needs 100m? Me no think so
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by bm7500 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 am

Burnside just keeps growing and growing :shock: (thats a good thing btw)

Maybe Westfield and Centro can learn a thing or two on how to progress their expansions :P
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Prince George » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 pm

There will be an extra 35 shops, taking the overall total to 120, when the revamp is finished in April 2012.

Hmm, 40% more shops, 75% more parking spaces.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by skyliner » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 pm

veemur wrote:
monotonehell wrote:Building a roof over a tree.... hrmmmz. Has it stopped growing?
And it's a River Red gum - aren't they renowned for dropping limbs?
Along the river Murray they call them ''widow makers' due to unexpected loss of limbs. No warnings. Can happen anytime. The fact that this is a river red gum (in the centre of the shoppping centre/) begs the question as to safety. Age seems to increase risk as well.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#12 Post by Omicron » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am

For all Burnside Village's lah-di-dah reputation, I've always thought of it as a bit of a hole with a worrying case of the late '80s. Good news on the renovations, then, but as others have said, I'm not so sure about the gum tree inside?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Pistol » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:11 pm

Prince George wrote:

Hmm, 40% more shops, 75% more parking spaces.
Well 4WDs do take up two carparks - especially at Burnside.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by JamesXander » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 pm

I have heard that some of their tenants pay nearly $500,000 a year. So no wonder they are proceeding with an expansion.

Westfield's rarely get tenants paying that much in standard sized shop.

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#15 Post by Burger » Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 pm

I found it interesting that Peter Cohen said they expect to have "high-end lifestyle, high-end fashion but for all age groups and budgets". Did anyone else spot the contradiction...?

Also, have a look at their website to see the latest plans for this stage (http://www.burnsidevillage.com.au/devel ... ouncement/). Good luck getting into/out of the Centre when they close the Portrush Rd entry to build the underground carpark!