[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: COM: Burnside Village Redevelopment | $107m

#196 Post by pushbutton » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm

build 'em smarter wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I saw this in the Advertiser, but can't see what the fuss is about. It's just a tree for goodness sake! If it's dead, get rid of it and put a new one in (preferably one that looks good) or else use the space for something other than a tree.
The fact that the tree was there first, and has been around longer than settlement in not only the Burnside area, but Adelaide in-general. Typical view of shoppers at an upper class shopping precinct; its just a tree, it's not as important as our shopping mall.
Sorry, but thats a very weak argument, im sure you have been in a building that at one stage had a tree on its site that had to be cut down..... unless you have never been near a city, or a suburb for that matter.

It has nothing to do with class or demographics and is little of you to try and play that card. Im sure there were trees on the site of marion or ttp shopping centres but amazingly they were built, even though the tree would have been there first.

To be honest, i dont think it was ever a particularly nice tree anyway.
I couldn't agree more!

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#197 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:10 pm

I cant believe we are still talking about a fucking tree.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#198 Post by RayRichards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:I cant believe we are still talking about a fucking tree.
It's not just a tree. What about the nature that lives within, the wonders it creates. :D

I would rather one F^&%ing tree than piles of concrete and steel that you seem to get your jollies by. :roll:

There is more to life than that. Typical aspie behaviour.

Ray.

claybro

#199 Post by claybro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:48 pm

RayRichards wrote:
It's not just a tree. What about the nature that lives within, the wonders it creates. :D

I would rather one F^&%ing tree than piles of concrete and steel that you seem to get your jollies by. :roll:

Ray.
Presume you live in the country and provide for all your needs from the land and dont drive a vehicle or wear manufactured clothing, watch television have electricity or mains water then Ray? If you do, then more power to you, if not, then please understand that trees are not always well placed in the modern built environment.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#200 Post by RayRichards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm

claybro wrote:
RayRichards wrote:

Ray.
Presume you live in the country and provide for all your needs from the land and dont drive a vehicle or wear manufactured clothing, watch television have electricity or mains water then Ray? If you do, then more power to you, if not, then please understand that trees are not always well placed in the modern built environment.
Didn't understand what you wrote mate. But yes we live in the country running our business/s. Lived in metro Adelaide for 30 years working in road building. I know how things work out. There is more to life than concrete and steel. Do you know about the ecosystem. (and that tree at the 'hip and trendy' Burnside Village is part of it) regardless if it interferes with your Sim City desires or not.

The tree at least would be a symbol at least that the local community and the owners of burnside village were fair dinkum in trying to save the tree and be part of their new development.

I personally think that the tree should be left completely alone without any harassment with the building around it and pretty much over it, but that's my opinion. And like arseholes, we all have them. :)

Ray.

claybro

#201 Post by claybro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm

RayRichards wrote:The tree at least would be a symbol at least that the local community and the owners of burnside village were fair dinkum in trying to save the tree and be part of their new development.
Unfortunately Ray, probably 90% of Burnside shoppers couldnt care less about the tree, and are alarmed at the amount spent trying to save it. They only care that the pesky tree is not harbouring birds that crap on their BMW's. If they want to see gum trees they simply drive 5 minutes up the road and see acres of them in the appropriatly placed nature reserves. Each to their own Ray and the city is as important to modern society as the farm that feeds us and the ecosystem that supports us all. Everything in its place.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#202 Post by mattwinter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:23 am

Apparently staff at Burnside have been told the tree is going this weekend...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#203 Post by Ben » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am

Burnside Village's dead gumtree to be chopped down and removed as early as tomorrow

by: Emma Altschwager •From: Eastern Courier Messenger •August 02, 2013

Speaking on ABC 891 radio this morning, Pat Cohen, head of The Cohen Group which owns Burnside Village, confirmed the ailing 100-year-old river red gum could not be saved.

"According to our experts, it is beyond [repair]," she told 891.

"It will not survive. We have made the decision to remove it straight away.

"It is as good as dead."

She added: "Had we removed it we would have been breaking the law. We were damned if we did and damned if we didn't.

"I think the law was silly in that respect."

A spokesman for The Cohen Group told the Eastern Courier Messenger arborists had advised the tree was beyond saving.

"It will be removed over the next couple of nights," the spokesman said.

"The tree is beyond saving.

"The arborists have advised it can not be saved so the owners have made the decision to remove it."

The health of the tree has been in the spotlight since the redevelopment of Burnside Village in 2011 saw it enclosed under a glass ceiling.

Tree experts - commissioned by the The Cohen Group - concluded a lack of light, humidity and airconditioning were largely responsible for the tree's decline.

Burnside Village ruled out removing or replacing the roof above the 100-year-old river red gum and instead installed a misting system and UV lighting.

The Cohen Group also flew in tree experts from Perth and have arranged for the gum to receive regular nutrient injections.

The Scooter Guy

#204 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Ben wrote:
Burnside Village's dead gumtree to be chopped down and removed as early as tomorrow

by: Emma Altschwager •From: Eastern Courier Messenger •August 02, 2013

Speaking on ABC 891 radio this morning, Pat Cohen, head of The Cohen Group which owns Burnside Village, confirmed the ailing 100-year-old river red gum could not be saved.

"According to our experts, it is beyond [repair]," she told 891.

"It will not survive. We have made the decision to remove it straight away.

"It is as good as dead."

She added: "Had we removed it we would have been breaking the law. We were damned if we did and damned if we didn't.

"I think the law was silly in that respect."

A spokesman for The Cohen Group told the Eastern Courier Messenger arborists had advised the tree was beyond saving.

"It will be removed over the next couple of nights," the spokesman said.

"The tree is beyond saving.

"The arborists have advised it can not be saved so the owners have made the decision to remove it."

The health of the tree has been in the spotlight since the redevelopment of Burnside Village in 2011 saw it enclosed under a glass ceiling.

Tree experts - commissioned by the The Cohen Group - concluded a lack of light, humidity and airconditioning were largely responsible for the tree's decline.

Burnside Village ruled out removing or replacing the roof above the 100-year-old river red gum and instead installed a misting system and UV lighting.

The Cohen Group also flew in tree experts from Perth and have arranged for the gum to receive regular nutrient injections.
...but what if there was an adequate irrigation system for the tree? All tree & plants need watering, otherwise they'll die of thirst!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#205 Post by pushbutton » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:47 pm

There's plenty of other trees around Adelaide. Why this one made the news is beyond me!

claybro

#206 Post by claybro » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:28 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:...but what if there was an adequate irrigation system for the tree? All tree & plants need watering, otherwise they'll die of thirst!
Do you mean like the system they put in under the tree to supply water and nutrients? Or the system they put in above the tree to produce a rain like "mist" in the canopy? Coupled with special lighting to simulate ultra violet light, and the special canopy to allow air flow under the roof, the centre has spent in total probably around $5million dollars incorporating this tree into the centre. It is environmental correctness gone mad. Just imagine how many thousands of trees this money could have planted in more appropriate locations, like the park just up the road from this centre. :shock:

Aidan

#207 Post by Aidan » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 pm

claybro wrote:...Coupled with special lighting to simulate ultra violet light,
Sorry to be pedantic, but you don't simulate ultra violet light - either the UV light is real or absent.

What puzzles me is why would they wanted UV light there at all. Trees don't use it for photosynthesis, so what function does it fulfil?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#208 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:43 am

http://www.insideretail.com.au/2013/11/ ... ng-centre/
Google maps inside shopping centre
By author on November 7, 2013

Burnside Village has become the first shopping centre in South Australia and the first major shopping centre in Australia, to showcase the inside of the centre using Indoor Google Street View.

Burnside Village now features in Google Maps using indoor Street View technology through the Google Business Photos initiative.The 360 degree navigation technology works like Street View so viewers can virtually window shop more than 100 shops, cafes and restaurants in the Village.

Burnside Village’s Virtual Tour uses 960 HDR (High Dynamic Range) images linked together into 80 panoramic photos to cover the entire interior of the centre.

The photo shoot took six hours to complete and was undertaken by Carlos and Viviana Zuluaga – two of Google’s approved photographers.

Burnside Village centre manager, Ric Walker, said he was delighted to be able to showcase Burnside Village to shoppers and prospective tenants using Google Street View technology and Google Business Photos.

“Vacant space at Burnside Village is rare and hotly contested but when vacancies occur it will now be easier for prospective tenants to get a feel for the Village, particularly where leasing decisions are being made interstate or internationally,” said Walker.

“The technology will also allow shoppers to virtually walk through the entire shopping centre.”

The use of Indoor Street View forms part of the Village’s Digital Strategy, which also includes social media, digital newsletters, video and a new interactive website to launch next month.

The Indoor Street View tour of the Village is displayed in Google Maps, Google Search and Google Places. Burnside Village also plans to integrate Indoor Street View into its social media channels and website.

A link to Burnside Village in Google Maps can be found here http://goo.gl/maps/p5XT8

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#209 Post by Phantom » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm

That's awesome! Does anyone know if this is planned at any other major shopping centres around Adelaide?

I wonder how often they'll take new images for it, aswell?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]

#210 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:48 pm

That's fair nifty stuff.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.