COM: Adelaide Showgrounds Redevelopment | $35m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: $35m for exhibition hall

#91 Post by Wayno » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:07 pm

pushbutton wrote:Well I went to the show today and had my first look at the Goyder Pavillion. I have to say it is everything I was expecting from reading this thread, and so much more!
great post pushbutton, you summed up many things very well :-) I was also thinking about the massive water tank under Goyder pavilion on sunday afternoon whilst at the show. My daughter and myself were outside in a protected area while the rain pelted down for about 30mins - very good news that 1000s of litres would have been retained and not simply washed out to sea. The Agricultural Society are to be commended for their water saving efforts!
Last edited by Wayno on Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info on the upcoming developments!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#93 Post by jk1237 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 pm

I havent been to the show for a 4-5 years, but what I was disappointed last time, compared to when I was little, was the lack of density and excitement, and the feeling it was now a country town show, caus a lot of structures have been demolished. What I mean was the area that the old chairlift used to go through, used to have big old pavillions close to each other, and even part of the old sideshow alley which used to have a 2 storey structure was demolished and replaced with gravel.

I may have to have a quick peek this week to see if its got better

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:17 pm

jk1237 I too wish they still had the chairlifts, but honestly you should take a look at the show before it closes this Saturday if you can, because it is absolutely brilliant.

It is very very different than it used to be, in terms of the style and number of buildings, but honestly it's far far nicer and there is at least as much, most likely more to see and do as there ever was.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Although I thought the new Goya (yes yes that's my name for it!) building was fabtastic in both scale and design, I lamented the outdoor parts so far. I'm hoping that they do a lot of landscaping as it's all so ... baron. Needs some trees or something. The entire area between the front gate and the secretary's office building is just one big wasteland. So much so that the whole sideshow area seems so temporary in the bad sense (I know the irony there, but it feels so transient).

My experience (and I haven't been in YEARS) was that it's missing something. Something that gave it soul.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by pushbutton » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 pm

If you haven't been in years, I suggest you go, and then decide if it's still missing something. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I went again today and it's got plenty of soul.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#97 Post by monotonehell » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:26 pm

pushbutton wrote:If you haven't been in years, I suggest you go, and then decide if it's still missing something. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I went again today and it's got plenty of soul.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - I went monday after several years' absence. No soul. All the functional elements were there, but there was next to no whimsy, decoration, aesthetic fun. Nor any trees. I think that was what was missing.

Everything (except the new building) was plain, functional, utilitarian, temporary. Needs more ... fairy dust! ;)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#98 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:02 am

monotonehell wrote:
pushbutton wrote:If you haven't been in years, I suggest you go, and then decide if it's still missing something. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I went again today and it's got plenty of soul.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear - I went monday after several years' absence. No soul. All the functional elements were there, but there was next to no whimsy, decoration, aesthetic fun. Nor any trees. I think that was what was missing.

Everything (except the new building) was plain, functional, utilitarian, temporary. Needs more ... fairy dust! ;)
I go every year, with or without the kids, and love it. Some greenery around the new pavilion would be great (who would have thought the agricultural society would skimp on that front?), but i truly love the rest of the show. People who go along for the euphoric "pazazz" are the ones who get disappointed - surely not you mono?

It's really a family/country/rustic event held in the city! Get away from the sideshows & rides and you are at the REAL show. Stroll through the horse stables chatting to some of the riders, checkout the pet pavilion (love the whacky dog breeds), watch the wood cutting (truly amazing), pig racing, grab some food & beer - sit on the lawn and people watch, maybe do a couple of sideshows and rides...then the fireworks, and finally grab a couple of crappy showbags on the way out so you can OD on sugar.

When i'm there i also daydream about ways to make better use of the grounds - and yes agree a chairlift would be cool. It would make the show more "3D" :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:04 am

Wayno wrote:I go every year, with or without the kids, and love it. Some greenery around the new pavilion would be great (who would have thought the agricultural society would skimp on that front?), but i truly love the rest of the show. People who go along for the euphoric "pazazz" are the ones who get disappointed - surely not you mono?
No, not I. What I meant by fairy dust is a bit more visual interest in the temporary structures. Contrast the old permanent structures (the oval, the livestock halls etc) with the temporary areas - the old buildings have some soul, where as the side show and everything from the Secretary's building to the front gate was more like a building site.

In Shows past there used to be a bit more variety to the temporary structures and a lot more 'window dressing' of them to give them some visual appeal. This year everything was tarps, ropes and scafolding. There was no obvious entries to any of the rides. Nor places where you could watch people riding them. I had to walk around the new roller coasters a couple of times before I could actually see them.

I don't go for the side show, never have. I go for the exhibits and etc.

YES! This is MY show...
Wayno wrote:It's really a family/country/rustic event held in the city! Get away from the sideshows & rides and you are at the REAL show. Stroll through the horse stables chatting to some of the riders, checkout the pet pavilion (love the whacky dog breeds), watch the wood cutting (truly amazing), pig racing, grab some food & beer - sit on the lawn and people watch, maybe do a couple of sideshows and rides...then the fireworks, and finally grab a couple of crappy showbags on the way out so you can OD on sugar...
You forgot the mandatory dagwood dog and nut sundae from the dairy pavilion. (Which I had both!)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#100 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Would you prefer to swim with a whale? :wink:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#101 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Norman wrote:Would you prefer to swim with a whale? :wink:
Norm, we're trying SO hard to keep the kids off of drugs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#102 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:07 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Norman wrote:Would you prefer to swim with a whale? :wink:
Norm, we're trying SO hard to keep the kids off of drugs.
Well, just make sure your dual-location watch doesn't drop into the whale tank ;)

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#103 Post by Pants » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Here's a link to a newsletter with info about recent and upcoming development of the show ground.

Looks pretty good.

http://www.adelaideshowground.com.au/pu ... sp?id=2289

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Pants wrote:Here's a link to a newsletter with info about recent and upcoming development of the show ground.

Looks pretty good.

http://www.adelaideshowground.com.au/pu ... sp?id=2289
membership of the agricultural society appears quite good value. 2 annual passes cost something like $120, or life membership is ~$1200. You get free entry to the Royal Show as many times as you like, and get 1/2 price to all other events + other benefits too.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#105 Post by mattblack » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Old investergator science centre is now gone (edge church). Anybody know whats going to go up in its place?