COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: APPROVED: $60m State Swimming Centre

#61 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:58 am

Difference is that Marion has a train line and the shopping centre will be much bigger and better once this is complete.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 am

crawf wrote:Difference is that Marion has a train line and the shopping centre will be much bigger and better once this is complete.
Well, West Lakes already has a shopping mall too. If a rail line is added, will the location suddenly become acceptable to everyone?
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:46 am

A swimming center does not equal an AFL stadium.

rhino

#64 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:57 am

I was commenting on the suburban location. Fair call though - it's an international competition standard venue, and there are far less international swimming comps to be held in Adelaide each year than AFL games. :)
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#65 Post by Cruise » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:06 am

My point still stands.

It's a suburban location nonetheless

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Brando » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 pm

^^^ I hear you Cruise. I too live in the 'North', i hate the location of AAMI and this swimming site. Place them both in or near the CBD and i would be more inclined to use these facilities. That why they have 'C' in CBD-Central.

Omicron

#67 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:07 am

Going past the vacant land quite regularly, I still cannot see how on earth a swimming centre the size of the Adelaide Aquatic Centre or larger (it wouldn't seem logical for a smaller facility to replace the existing one) is going to fit in there, especially with the need to provide adequate carparking for the swimming centre, for Marion staff, and for overflow parking at Christmas time.

Also, I notice there is a sign advertising some kind of medical centre to be located next to the existing Domain Medical Centre, which will take up even more of the remaining land. That's only adding to my confusion.

On a side note, thank goodness the brilliant Marion Cultural Centre was built more or less as planned. It still looks different and interesting, and makes a nice change from the yellow box of Solver Paints, the white box of Bridgestone, and the vast green box of Bunnings.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#68 Post by pushbutton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm

I think the more things they build on this land the better. No need to worry about there not being enough space for a swimming centre, as they're never really going to build one there anyway. It's just a sign, not a real project!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:51 am

Well ive seen on the Marion council website somewhere that renders should be out sometime in February. So if no renders come out by March then we can have second thoughts about this project.

urban
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by urban » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:53 am

Marion Council have been working on getting this swimming pool for many years. This project will happen.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#71 Post by Cruise » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:44 pm

While we are building a swimming centre in Marion i think a replacement for Football park should be built in Elizabeth West. It would have a train line right next to it and a big shopping centre nearby. Everything Marion has and just as inconveinient.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Cruise, there is a big difference between the number of people going to a Swimming Event than to a AFL match.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#73 Post by rogue » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Norman wrote:Cruise, there is a big difference between the number of people going to a Swimming Event than to a AFL match.
What about the thousands that use it daily for swimming / water polo / diving etc training or for recreational use?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:41 pm

rogue wrote:
Norman wrote:Cruise, there is a big difference between the number of people going to a Swimming Event than to a AFL match.
What about the thousands that use it daily for swimming / water polo / diving etc training or for recreational use?
There's a difference as there might be 1000 over one single day, however, the AFL game would have 60,000 people coming and going within 2 or 3 hours of the game.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#75 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Norman wrote:
rogue wrote:
There's a difference as there might be 1000 over one single day, however, the AFL game would have 60,000 people coming and going within 2 or 3 hours of the game.
Maximising convenience (or least minimising inconvenience) should always be the name of the game. Being situated at Marion fails the test....i'm sure we all agree a "STATE Swimming Centre" should have been situated next to the CBD as a part of a large architecturally planned sporting precinct - another opportunity lost in my opinion :|
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.