COM: SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre | $100m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C: $100m State Swimming Centre

#376 Post by Pikey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 am

The whole complex has turned out brilliantly. Even though I am paying for it through elevated rates, I am more than happy to have this facility in my neighbourhood.

Can't wait for it to open and hopefully join up a family membership.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#377 Post by mattblack » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:15 am

SRW wrote:
Ben wrote:
Wayno wrote:Those blank walls at the corner of Diagonal Rd & Morphett Rd are just asking to be tagged.
Yeh I must admit i'm disappointed with the massive high fencing around the entire centre. Is it a prison or a leisure centre?
Likewise. They kind of ruin the public realm.
Probably to stop dirty old men from looking at the kiddies

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#378 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Wow I'm impressed!. Turned out much better than I thought it would.

Though I'm not sure if I like the fencing, some trees and shrubs might help.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#379 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:24 am

Admittedly, the fence wasn't painted when I saw it. That's helped a lot.

And I think I noticed some young jacarandas planted on the Diagonal Road side of the facility... or I'm just imagining that I did.
Keep Adelaide Weird

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#380 Post by fabricator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:12 am

Apparently the opening has been delayed, due to someone not taking into account the time it takes to treat the water and get the chemicals stable. :roll:
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#381 Post by Professor » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Does anyone know the opening date?

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#382 Post by fabricator » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:36 pm

http://sa.ymca.org.au/news/Pages/defaul ... tem_id=416
YMCA is preferred operator of State Aquatic Centre
Article Date: Tuesday, 15 March 2011

The South Australian Government has announced the YMCA as the preferred operator of the state’s new $100 million aquatic and leisure centre.

The announcement comes as the final touches are being made to the aquatic facilities, in preparation for the centre hosting its first event, the Australian 2011 Age Championships in April.

The new centre, named SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre, is designed to host both national and international aquatic events, bringing elite sport back to the state of South Australia.

Peter Schwarz, YMCA of Sout Australia's, Chief Executive Officer, said the Y was honoured to be partnering with the South Australian Government and was looking forward to building relationships with both state and community organisations interested in using the centre’s facilities.

“SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre is here for everyone, from recreational and community users to the elite. We’re really excited about the prospect of having both our current and future champions of swimming, diving and water polo, training and performing at the centre,” he said.

“We’re now very focused on getting everything in place to open the doors of the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre to the community and the world.”

SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre has already been announced as the host for six sporting events, showcasing the centre to both Australian and international athletes.

The FINA compliant centre will be included in Swimming South Australia’s bid to host the 2012 Olympic swimming trials, which would bring Australia’s swimming stars back to the state for the first time in almost 15 years.

The $100 million facility includes a 52 metre swimming pool, 55 metre water polo and diving pool, fixed and springboard diving platforms, two thermal hydro spas, one polar chilled hydro spa as well as two giant waterslides and a well-equipped health club and group fitness studio.

“We’ll introduce a number of programs at the centre to cater for people of all ages and abilities, helping to realise the shared vision of the South Australian Government and the YMCA to build a healthier, stronger and happier community,” said Mr Schwarz.

The project is funded by the South Australian Government in association with the City of Marion and the Australian Government.
So guess we'll get an announcement from the YMCA in the local paper when its ready to open.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#383 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:46 pm

It was opened this morning by Rann.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#384 Post by Ben » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30 pm

crawf wrote:It was opened this morning by Rann.
Matthew mitcham too.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#385 Post by pushbutton » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:27 pm

So it's "SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre" then. Well that's certainly better than "State Aquatic Centre". Not brilliant, but better.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#386 Post by crawf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Who cares! :P

Footage of inside the complex looked very nice and modern on Seven News tonight, massive difference compared to the hideous thing in North Adelaide.

All up this has turned out much better than the renders.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#387 Post by pushbutton » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:56 am

I'm very pleased to hear that and look forward to seeing it for myself in the near future.

King
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#388 Post by King » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 am

I for one will definitely be going to watch a few swimming meets. :D

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#389 Post by skyliner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Full report on it in Bris. news (TV) this morning. Could not believe it! Heavy hype as to how good it is and how much Adelaide will gain from it.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#390 Post by fabricator » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 pm

http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.co ... ig-splash/
HUNDREDS of local swimmers will be among the first to take the plunge at the new State Aquatic and Leisure Centre this weekend.

SwimmingSA athletes will be out to test the water at the $80 million Oaklands Park centre at two trial events on Saturday, April 9, and Sunday, April 10.

Short-course events of 25m will be held on Saturday while 50m long-course events and relays will be held on Sunday.

Work on the FINA-compliant centre was finished in February after 16 months of construction.

Not-for-profit community organisation YMCA was last month appointed as the centre’s operator.

The trials are being held ahead of the centre’s first major event, the Australian Age Championships from April 18 to 23.

The championships are the highest level of national youth competition and will showcase emerging Olympic talent.

Other major events scheduled to be held at the new aquatic centre include the Australian Short Course Championships (July 1-3), the Australian Masters Games (October 7-16, 2011), the FINA World Diving Championships (October 9-13, 2012), the World Life Saving Championships (November 7-18, 2012) and the Australian University Games (2012 and 2018).

The centre will be open to the public after the Australian Age Championships.

The test events are free for swimmers and spectators.

SwimmingSA general manager Craig Hobart would not comment on the centre until it was officially opened, expected to be this weekend.
So to clarify will be open to the public from April 24.