#COM: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SCF
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: APP: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

#46 Post by SCF » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 am

Adeguy72 wrote:I remember Target Supermarkets though - there was even one at Marion.

From memory, they were sold off when Myer ran into financial difficulties in the 80's (before they merged with Coles) and the SA stores (I think there were 6?) were bought by Independent Grocers & rebranded Arrow.

Not sure what happened to the interstate ones.
Yes, I distinctly remember the supermarket next to the Target at Fulham Gardens being branded Target, then changing to Arrow. It would have been in the early 80's.

Indeed, I believe you are correct - see this link http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 35,4905936

It appears Myer sold most of them to Coles, but in SA sold them Independent Grocers.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#47 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Interesting article - thanks!

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#48 Post by advantix » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm

The first Big W.... Tamworth in the late 1970s. Shows how little the Cumberland Park store has changed since 1977.
Attachments
Big W Tamworth.jpg
Big W Tamworth.jpg (99.05 KiB) Viewed 6152 times

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by neoballmon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 pm

To be honest when I first saw that, I thought that WAS Cumberland Park with just a modified carpark over the 35 years...
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by Adeguy72 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

I visited Tamworth over 10 years ago and went shopping at Big W - there's a mall in front of ot now so doesn't look anything like it does in the photo.
Cumberland park must be 15 years or so behind Tamworth. Scary thought!

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#51 Post by fkj » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:18 pm

advantix wrote:The first Big W.... Tamworth in the late 1970s. Shows how little the Cumberland Park store has changed since 1977.
Wow, absolute spitting image.

Having lived 500 metres from this store since I was 5 years old it is kind of sad to see it go.
Working there (up until last year) you got to see all the little quirks of the 70's building. For example the fridge and freezer control panel was the same one from when it was built, which always confused the fridge technicians when they had to come in and fix stuff as they're all used to lcd screens, not a big bulky panel with a few led lights :p.

As much as I look forward to seeing how it turns out I will miss the old store. The black and white flooring was always a favourite with every kid that walked through the door using it to play games with their siblings/friends; "you have to stay on the black and I have to stay on the white".

Here's a photo I got of the pit for the underground carpark, looking somewhat like a suburban quarry :P
IMG_6075.jpg
IMG_6075.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
I'll be posting more pictures from now as progress continues.
Cherrs, Jake :cheers:

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by advantix » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:47 pm

A couple pics from today. Apparently they are a week ahead of schedule.
Attachments
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG (208.26 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG (208.43 KiB) Viewed 5901 times

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#53 Post by Adeguy72 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks for the photos.
I visited the site today - it is all progressing on nicely.
Has anyone seen a floor plan? I am guessing it will be a L shape design, with Big W possibly at the southern end - above the underground car park?
If so, looks like the shops at that end will have a wall in front of them?
Anyone know wehn the existing Big W will close for demolition?

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#54 Post by advantix » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Big W will not be closing or demolished. The facade will be updated with an airlock and glass frontage and a refit of the interior. Work on Big W will commence with the backdock and office areas from around April. The refit of the shop floor of Big W should be sometime around July.

Woolies will be situated adjacent to Big W like it was prior to demolition. It will have an increased floor area and extended out to the side street (Little Street), covering the old side carpark to become a mid-sized Woolworths.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

Re: U/C: Cumberland Park Shopping Centre Redevelopment

#55 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the update.
Are there going to be any specialty shops and a mall added?

advantix
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#56 Post by advantix » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:08 am

There will be no mall or new specialty shops. I wonder if the owners of the surrounding existing shops will get a makeover once Woolies/ Big W is finished???

Had the GFC not occurred, the redevelopment would have probably been done a couple years back and also look very different to what is actually happening. I have always thought that Woolworths should of bought all the small shops surrounding the property, bulldozed the lot and then built a development similar to Centro Kurralta where the specialty shops are along the frontage with Kmart and Coles behind.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#57 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm

I am a bit disappointed there won't be a mall and some specilaty shops.
Seems like lots of expense and effort just to get an enlarged Woolworth supermarket.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#58 Post by claybro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:26 pm

This is a VERY busy corner and should have been more. The comparison with Centro Kurralta is good, because it is a similar site. Also similar is Pasadena Green which has been a great improvement and asset to that area. This developement is really dissapointing.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 pm

$21m Cumberland Park Shopping Centre upgrade to finish by end of year

by:
Jessica Haynes

The Messenger

March 12, 2013

WORK on the $21 million Cumberland Park Shopping Centre upgrade will be complete by the end of the year.

The redevelopment will include a new Woolworths, twice the size as the current one, an underground carpark and a refurbished Big W.
A Woolworths spokeswoman told the Mitcham & Hills Messenger works on the site would be finished in the second half of the year.
She said the Big W store would continue to trade through its refurbishment.

Mitcham Council rejected Woolworths' original proposal for the site in May 2011, as it would have reduced the number of carparks by 16.
The revised plan includes a basement carpark, raising the number of spaces from 460 to 554.

The plan does not allow access to the shopping centre, occupied by Woolworths and Big W since 1977, from Cross Rd.
Shoppers will be able to access the underground carpark from Little St.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#60 Post by fkj » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Why on earth would the plan leave no access from Cross Road.