Islington | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Islington | Developments & News

#106 Post by PeFe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

I thought Costco were looking at Salisbury for the location of their first SA store? Like most of the forumers above I too believed that Islington was suited to some sort of TOD development involving apartments/shops/cafes etc. Costco is really a supermarket that is aimed at suburbanites that want to all their cheap groceries in bulk ie 128 toilet rolls, slabs of coca cola, 20 packets of cheap pasta.
No locals will be walking there to do their grocery shopping. And by the way how much is Costco membership now $60,$80?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by neoballmon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 pm

PeFe wrote: No locals will be walking there to do their grocery shopping. And by the way how much is Costco membership now $60,$80?
I only know of the Melbourne Docklands store, but that is extremely busy and I'm pretty sure there are no houses within a kilometer radius of the store. I may be wrong though. It's more of a store that people from a 10km radius will all visit maybe more.

Pretty sure it's still $60.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

[Shuz]

#108 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:05 pm

neoballmon wrote:
PeFe wrote: No locals will be walking there to do their grocery shopping. And by the way how much is Costco membership now $60,$80?
I only know of the Melbourne Docklands store, but that is extremely busy and I'm pretty sure there are no houses within a kilometer radius of the store. I may be wrong though. It's more of a store that people from a 10km radius will all visit maybe more.

Pretty sure it's still $60.
There might not be any houses as such within a 1km radius of Costco Docklands but there sure as hell are thousands of apartments within walking distance. They literally have about 4000 residents at their doorstep.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#109 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm

PeFe wrote:I thought Costco were looking at Salisbury for the location of their first SA store? Like most of the forumers above I too believed that Islington was suited to some sort of TOD development involving apartments/shops/cafes etc. Costco is really a supermarket that is aimed at suburbanites that want to all their cheap groceries in bulk ie 128 toilet rolls, slabs of coca cola, 20 packets of cheap pasta.
No locals will be walking there to do their grocery shopping. And by the way how much is Costco membership now $60,$80?
There is still room for a TOD on the otherside of Regency Road.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#110 Post by Mr Smith » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:24 pm

crawf wrote:
PeFe wrote:I thought Costco were looking at Salisbury for the location of their first SA store? Like most of the forumers above I too believed that Islington was suited to some sort of TOD development involving apartments/shops/cafes etc. Costco is really a supermarket that is aimed at suburbanites that want to all their cheap groceries in bulk ie 128 toilet rolls, slabs of coca cola, 20 packets of cheap pasta.
There is still room for a TOD on the otherside of Regency Road.

Viz Costco membership - Very droll

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#111 Post by rev » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:22 pm

The proposed Costco isn't going in at the Islington development, which has been dormant and is a large empty block of land.
It is going across the road at another development, called the Churchill Centre.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#112 Post by MessiahAndrw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Is anyone else worried about the effect of opening up a big box store to the local economy?

After living in the United States I have seen many neighbourhoods drained of their business vibrancy due to WalMart, Sams Club, Target Superstores, etv.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev

#113 Post by rev » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:39 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:Is anyone else worried about the effect of opening up a big box store to the local economy?

After living in the United States I have seen many neighbourhoods drained of their business vibrancy due to WalMart, Sams Club, Target Superstores, etv.
It's a little late now.
Besides there's not many small stores around the area.

The Scooter Guy

#114 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:55 pm

rev wrote:
The proposed Costco isn't going in at the Islington development, which has been dormant and is a large empty block of land.
It is going across the road at another development, called the Churchill Centre.
Will the Costco be built next to Bunnings by any chance?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#115 Post by neoballmon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Will the Costco be built next to Bunnings by any chance?
I'd imagine so. The Coles Superstore/K-Mart complex seems to take up the rest of the room, only leaving between Coles and Bunnings.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#116 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Is the Coles/Kmart actually going to be built. Besides the fading signage there appears to have been no progress made on the site.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#117 Post by neoballmon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am

Brucetiki wrote:Is the Coles/Kmart actually going to be built. Besides the fading signage there appears to have been no progress made on the site.
I was taking to a Coles DC driver this morning and he seems to think this store is still going ahead. Also says a bit of a slab had been laid in the area, not sure if for the Centre or not though. I didn't see it last time I went past though.

rev

#118 Post by rev » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Is the Coles/Kmart actually going to be built. Besides the fading signage there appears to have been no progress made on the site.
I was taking to a Coles DC driver this morning and he seems to think this store is still going ahead. Also says a bit of a slab had been laid in the area, not sure if for the Centre or not though. I didn't see it last time I went past though.
Last time I drove past a couple weeks ago I think, there seemed to be some sort of activity on site which from the looks of it looked like it was related to cleaning up the junk from the site.

rev

#119 Post by rev » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Site works are well and truly under way on this one I'd say.

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#120 Post by Brazer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Anyone got any news on the progression of this site?