U/C: [Adelaide Entertainment Centre] Carpark | $11m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #COM : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#301 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 am

What's wrong with them playing at the Festival Centre? It's a good venue.
Yes it's a good venue, but it's acoustics are terrible and dry for orchestral gigs. They actually installed a special amplification system to attempt to overcome this in the late 90s. It has the biggest stage in Australia (hence all that Wagner crap a whiles back) but is not really suitable for things outside of theatre/opera. The recent Mahler show could have been done there more successfully, but it was already occupied by another headline Festival act, and there's the rub. They could have done three performances with a concert hall in place and would have got full houses for each. Guaranteed.

My concern is the same as Paul Grabowsky's. The jewel in Adelaide's (and Australia's) cultural crown, the Festival, has become a slept-on laurel. Every Australian city has its festival now and Melbourne's is fast catching up as equally as good as Adelaide's, simply because it has more venues, all of them high quality. Adels needs a lot of investment in this area. The Art Gallery is struggling as you may recall from a recent outburst from its new director... fair enough. It is definitely one of the top three cities in the country as cultural hubs (with Sydney [by default] and Melbourne). But Melbourne isn't a "festival city" in the real sense. Adelaide remains the best in this respect, but must develop this from the 90s Barry Kosky vision it clings to. Things have changed.

Culture and the arts are one of Adelaide's great strengths. Never forget there are three recognised great arts festivals in the world: Edinburgh, Avignon and Adelaide. It won't stay like this forever without nurturing (which DOESN'T mean it should go annual) and to lose this would be for me (even from afar) the worst thing ever.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#302 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:24 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
What's wrong with them playing at the Festival Centre? It's a good venue.
Yes it's a good venue, but it's acoustics are terrible and dry for orchestral gigs. They actually installed a special amplification system to attempt to overcome this in the late 90s. It has the biggest stage in Australia (hence all that Wagner crap a whiles back) but is not really suitable for things outside of theatre/opera.
Surely you aren't referring to The Ring Cycle as crap?? :o

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#303 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Any vids of the orb lately?
Maybe one day I'll construct a scale model of it... :P
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Matt
Legendary Member!

#304 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah, if someone could do a quick vid of the dome for us ex pats, I'd be very appreciative

Xaragmata

#305 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:27 am

Matt wrote:Yeah, if someone could do a quick vid of the dome for us ex pats, I'd be very appreciative
Taken early in March, not the best quality, but you will get the idea:

The Scooter Guy

#306 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Looks wonderful! Maybe one day I'll take a better video of it!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#307 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Thanks for the vid. Looks fabulous!
Surely you aren't referring to The Ring Cycle as crap??
Yep. Needs heavy, editing. :wink:

Outstanding production by State Opera though, I will say.

Nort

#308 Post by Nort » Tue May 04, 2010 11:02 pm

Just a bump because I had a demonstration of how the upgraded Entertainment Centre is quite a good landmark. A couple of nights ago I was eating dinner at the Mt Lofty restaurant and while glancing out the window noticed a strange twinkling light. A closer inspection revealed it was the new dome shifting colours and generally looking stunning.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#309 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 pm

I caught the tram to the Champion's League match the other week and as the tram made its way towards the Entertainment Centre, I did notice the amount of people looking up in shock and surprise at the lit up dome.

I have also been to two shows at the redone Centre. One in the main venue and one in the new venue. The new venue is soulless and probably should only be used for rockier acts (I'd rather see sit down shows at Thebby, unfortunately Regina Spektor used the new venue). I must admit the entrance makes it feel a lot more modern and even inside seemed less tired (perhaps I was blinded by the dome bling). Overall I actually don't mind it and those who were criticising location are sorely misplaced as it barely felt like I had left the CBD, which in essence, is true.

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#310 Post by mokeystyley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 am

https://www.tenders.sa.gov.au/tenders/t ... er-details

New Multi Storey Carpark for the Entertainment Centre??

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#311 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05 am

It will be interesting to see if the AEC carpark is still popular if full charges are introduced for the tram service in the future?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#EOI: Adelaide Entertainment Centre Mk II

#312 Post by AG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Looks like the AEC is at it again with another planned upgrade. They are currently in the stage of looking for bids and proposals with the aim of creating a multistorey carpark as well as potentially creating some commercial and retail space.
Car park touted for Enetertainment Centre

by: Chief business reporter Cameron England
December 13, 2011 12:00AM

A FOUR-level car park creating another 550 spaces is among plans for the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

Mixed-use developments, including retail, restaurants or other uses will also be considered.

The AEC has called for tenders from the private sector to build a new multi-level car park at the site on the corner of Port Rd and Adam St, Hindmarsh.

The State Government-owned centre has space for 850 cars and is open for commuters on non-event days, and serves as a Park and Ride station for city commuters. It costs $2 and trams to the city are free.

AEC chief executive Anthony Kirchner said yesterday there were three options being considered.

These were:

FOR a company to lease, construct and operate a new car park.

FOR a company to design and construct a multi-deck car park at the AEC's cost, with the AEC to own and operate it, and

FOR a company to design and construct a larger mixed-use development at its own cost with the AEC to own and operate a minimum of 750 new car park spaces.

This third proposal would involve the AEC operating and owning the car park at no cost, while the bidder would lease and operate all other facets of the mixed-use development.

This option could also involve the bidder owning and operating the car park.

Mr Kirchner said the final shape of the development would depend on the bids submitted, but it was likely to be at least four levels high.

"We're inviting expressions of interest which includes the option of putting forward a mixed-use development but it's really going to be subject to what developers come back to us with and what they think they can make commercially viable," he said.

Mr Kirchner said it was yet to be determined whether there would be any changes to the cost of commuter parking at the site following the development.

"But we're absolutely committed to ensuring that it remains affordable," he said.

"That's critical to the success of the project as far as we're concerned."

Mr Kirchner said it was too early to estimate the cost of the project. The call for tenders for the new car park closes on December 21.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #RFP: Adelaide Entertainment Centre Mk II

#313 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:59 pm

What is RFP?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #RFP: Adelaide Entertainment Centre Mk II

#314 Post by AG » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Ben wrote:What is RFP?
RFP stands for "request for proposal". Simply explained, this is initiated by the client - in this case the AEC, or SA Government - in the process of outlining the scope of a project with calls for offers of bids and proposals/services from potential developers.

EDIT: This is more of an EOI rather than RFP due to the scope of the project still bring determined.

arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: #EOI: Adelaide Entertainment Centre Mk II

#315 Post by arki » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Wouldn't PRO have sufficed? Not to mention the title goes against the Guide to navigating the development fourm. Lame.