U/C: [Adelaide Entertainment Centre] Carpark | $11m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: #U/C : Ent. Centre Upgrade | $50m | (2,500) | Hindmarsh

#181 Post by Shuz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:41 am

Port Road is sufficiently wide enough; to quote your words AtD - widening a road is like curing obesity by buying a bigger belt.

What the Government has effectively done is simply put a tramline down (what is believed to be the 2nd busiest stretch of road in Adelaide) and not only just that, but seem at odds with their public transport agenda, by again widening the road to maintain it's capacity (consequently subjecting it to further induced demand) rather than decrease it.

Usually, I'd trumpet the pro-PT bandwagon on the Government's behalf for taking such a positive initiative to encourage people to take alternative forms of transport, but in this instance where public transport had an opportunity to capitalize on maximizing patronage; it should have not been at the expense of parklands, but at the expense of the private vehicle commuter whose unhealthy mentality that "car is king" continues to dominate transport politics.

I hope I'm proven dead wrong, and that the patronage numbers meet, better yet, exceed expectations. I am very doubtful that it will. Especially considering that it fails to integrate with the urban fabric, running adjacent it, rather than penetrate within it. The draw of commuters, and therefore economical return also - would have been far higher if the tramline had been extended elsewhere (North Adelaide, Norwood, etc.) where its potential could have been realized far more effectively, than this misguided piecemeal approach to planning.

My case in point; This correlation with the Entertainment Centre project, is we have been given a tramline extension to an inadequate facility which shouldn't be located where it is in the first place. Building a dome, or a grey concrete monolith has done very little to improve the amenities of the existing centre, which is where the money should have been directed to at least. A serious lack of consideration for alternative options at our taxpayer's expense of $150m (for this and the tramline projects combined) highlights this projects disgrace. We had an opportunity to get things right, and got it wrong again instead.

The desperation must be rife in the air if the Rann Government is choosing to spend $150m trying to buy votes from 64,500 voters which drive past the area every day - very conveniently enough to be completed just weeks before the State Election. My skepticism of this Government increases with each passing day.

Unfortunately, I vouch the Liberals wouldn't do better either. The circus that the political arena has come, to decide between a bag of shit, and another bag of shit.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#182 Post by ChrisRT » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 am

Shuz wrote:Port Road is sufficiently wide enough; to quote your words AtD - widening a road is like curing obesity by buying a bigger belt.
I've seen that quote repeated many times around the Internets. I think it's a good one, but I don't know where it originally comes from. Sorry AtD, but I doubt you were the first to say it.
Shuz wrote: What the Government has effectively done is simply put a tramline down (what is believed to be the 2nd busiest stretch of road in Adelaide) and not only just that, but seem at odds with their public transport agenda, by again widening the road to maintain it's capacity (consequently subjecting it to further induced demand) rather than decrease it.
You must remember they are planning to put a gargantuan hospital in that part of town so maintaining the existing road capacity is probably important for access reasons. I suspect this was also to neutralize the inevitable attacks of causing gridlock and creating traffic madness. Given the popularity of the first extension, the opposition doesn't seem interested in attacking this plan and the road-widenings and park'n'ride should keep the car lovers appeased (if not happy).
Shuz wrote:The draw of commuters, and therefore economical return also - would have been far higher if the tramline had been extended elsewhere (North Adelaide, Norwood, etc.) where its potential could have been realized far more effectively, than this misguided piecemeal approach to planning.
In the short-run, maybe, but highly doubtful over the long-run. You have to remember the power of PT to shape land use patterns. North Adelaide and Norwood are highly established suburbs with limited redevelopment opportunity and strong local opposition to any significant development proposals (examples - Victoria park race course and O'Bahn originally planned as tram but converted to 'bus-on-rails' following local opposition).

The Port Road 'transport corridor' has much bigger redevelopment potential, on the other hand (example - Nexus Centre). Cynically, voters in West Adelaide are probably less influential than those who reside in the inner-North and East too.
Last edited by ChrisRT on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#183 Post by rev » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:01 am

Weren't you for this part of the tram extension at one stage shuz?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#184 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:40 pm

rev wrote:Weren't you for this part of the tram extension at one stage shuz?
Initially, yes. But as time has gone by, I have drawn to appropriate conclusion that the extension should not have been warranted. Now I understand the reason why Governments need to conduct studies before they commence projects; at first, the idea when put down on a map and whatnot - all the colours made it look pretty and we were dazzled with the idea that we'd have more trams seems all great at first. But over time, as you look into the details, the pros and cons, my opinion has changed.

I have however, always not been in support of the new developments at the Entertainment Centre.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#185 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:03 pm

I guess the aim of the govt is to stay in power and the labour voters are who gets them in. Call it pork barrelling but what/where do you think they should have spent the money instead - in areas/projects where they are unlikely to win votes on? I mean in there position you would do the same....

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#186 Post by Hooligan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Why does every thread turn into a tram wankfest?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#187 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Some pics from Friday:

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#188 Post by Songsting » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks very much for the latest pics, looks like work is progressing well. Any news on an expected completion date? Do they ever offer 'tours' of completed works such as this?

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#189 Post by waz94 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Drove past last night after the cricket and saw the dome lit up. Looks brilliant and will definately transfer the area once completed. I just hope that the dome is lit up all year and not just during Ent Cent events.

skyliner

#190 Post by skyliner » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the lit up dome.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#191 Post by Splashmo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 pm

waz94 wrote:Drove past last night after the cricket and saw the dome lit up. Looks brilliant and will definately transfer the area once completed. I just hope that the dome is lit up all year and not just during Ent Cent events.
Hopefully because it looks like something fairly cheap during the day.

rhino

#192 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:03 am

waz94 wrote: Looks brilliant and will definately transfer the area once completed.
Transfer it to what/where?

Oh ... transform ... :P
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#193 Post by skyliner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:14 pm

Now, now Rhino!

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#194 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 am

Mike Rann will be officially opening the Ent Centre on March 3rd.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ghs

#195 Post by ghs » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 am

Do they have any events lined up ?