North Adelaide | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

Re: Melbourne St. Development

#16 Post by AdelaideAlive » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:40 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
metro wrote:First step in this should be to take all the heavy car traffic off of the narrow Melbourne street and onto the Wider and tree-lined Stanley Street. From what i've been told the main traffic used to go through Stanley street, I cant understand why they changed it :roll:
Could you imagine the war this would create considering Stanley Street is home to some very wealthy residents. I say leave as it is, it's not like that many motorists use Melbourne Street anyway.
I agree with Metro; they should divert the traffic back onto Stanley Street and pedestrianise Melbourne Street a lot more - heck, even convert it into a PT/pedestrian only mall. Tramline and buses can run down the middle 1x1 configuration, and the footpaths widened exponentially.[/quote]

I say leave as it is, it's not like that many motorists use Melbourne Street anyway.[/quote] :shock:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 pm

:?:
[Shuz] wrote:
metro wrote:First step in this should be to take all the heavy car traffic off of the narrow Melbourne street and onto the Wider and tree-lined Stanley Street. From what i've been told the main traffic used to go through Stanley street, I cant understand why they changed it :roll:
I agree with Metro; they should divert the traffic back onto Stanley Street and pedestrianise Melbourne Street a lot more - heck, even convert it into a PT/pedestrian only mall. Tramline and buses can run down the middle 1x1 configuration, and the footpaths widened exponentially.
Have a look at the fuss over the closure of Barton Terrace West, could you imagine what would happen if a wealthy street like Stanley Street was turned into a highway?. WW3 anyone?

Melbourne Street would turn more into a ghost town if that happened.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by rhino » Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a lot of the North East Road traffic ended up on Melbourne Street, then Sir Edwin Smith Ave and on to King William St to reach the city? The road signs seem to direct it that way.
cheers,
Rhino