North Adelaide | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Troy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

North Adelaide | Developments & News

#1 Post by Troy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Brown Falconer have just had the upcoming renovation of The Lion Hotel approved at DAP. The new development will see the relocation of the gaming room with the primary objective being an enlarged beer garden with pod spaces defining informal function experiences.
Attachments
Lion Hotel - Dusk View .jpg
Lion Hotel - New Beer Garden
Lion Hotel - Dusk View .jpg (196.46 KiB) Viewed 5617 times

metro
Legendary Member!

Re: The Lion Hotel, North Adelaide

#2 Post by metro » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:05 pm

I really hate seeing our old hotels being destroyed by tacking on modern additions, and it's all funded by pokie money too which I think just makes it look even worse. It doesnt fit the character of Melbourne street or the heritage hotel builidng and will generate too much noise within a residential area.

Wow i sound like Anne Moran.. How could the ACC have possibly approved this?? :o

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

The Lion Hotel, North Adelaide

#3 Post by Howie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Actually i think it's good to have a delineation between old and new. Theres been a number of decent pub redevelopments in Adelaide that stand out, The Brompton immediately comes to mind for me. Anyhow i'd be keen to see this go ahead given it is a major improvement on what is currently there.

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4 Post by mrblackrooster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:04 pm

by Howie » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Actually i think it's good to have a delineation between old and new.

+1

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 pm

+2

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 am

I like it

what is Melbourne Street? sort of North Adelaides version of King William Road? without the shops?

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#7 Post by Burger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 am

+3

By clearly defining the boundary between old and new each era is more pronounced and, provided the integration is sympathetic, can actually make the heritage aspects standout more. Looking just at the render, I'm not a fan of the new canopy over the heritage facade but the rest seems 'okay'.

[Shuz]

#8 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:35 am

+4
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by ml69 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Looks fantastic. Reminds me of a row of beer tap fonts.

I think renovations of historic buildings look best when there is a contrast between old and new (with a sensitive high quality new addition of course). This gives integrity to the historic building and the new extension has integrity too because its 'of its age'.

norwood
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by norwood » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Great use of steel.... looking good!!!

Much needed facelift of a street with so much appeal yet always underdone...

PeFe

North Adelaide - Developments & News

#11 Post by PeFe » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:38 am

Melbourne St vision
UNIQUE PUSH: Kate Pattarapongkasame, owner of UR Caffe, wants to make Melbourne St stand out from other strips to help attract people to the precinct.

DEVELOPING Melbourne St into a speciality coffee hub with widened footpaths for more outdoor dining are among traders’ ideas to liven up the strip.

Some would also like to see more events and better carparking.

The City North Messenger last week spoke to traders about their vision for Melbourne St, following news the City Council would review its development plan for the strip.

Melbourne Street Traders Association secretary Jen Kog said businesses wanted the council to create a pedestrian-friendly boulevard by widening footpaths.

“Traders have been speaking about developing Melbourne St into a coffee district with specialty coffee shops,” Ms Kog said.

“It would give it (Melbourne St) a unique feel and make it different from anywhere else.”

She said it would help create a brand for the street and set it apart from other strips.

UR Caffe owner Kate Pattarapongkasame said key shops, such as banks and a supermarket, were needed to draw in customers.

“A lot of cars drive past the shop but don’t stop here,” Ms Pattarapongkasame said.

“We need more shops here to make it more interesting and to bring people back.”

She said more carparks was crucial to increasing trade.

Adelaide MP Rachel Sanderson, who owns Rachel’s Model Management and Training on Melbourne St, said she would like to see more events on the strip.

North Adelaide Society president Ed Briedis said he hoped the City Council would not increase height limits along Melbourne St.

“We deliberately resist the notion that you have to build high in the sky,” Mr Briedis said.

“We think it (Melbourne St) is so good that it should be kept how it is.”

The City North Messenger reported last month the State Government had announced that building height limits along part of O’Connell St would double to six storeys.

City Council staff are now looking at what changes are needed for Melbourne St.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said any changes would need to complement North Adelaide’s heritage buildings and improve the “cafe culture” of the street.

But he said it was too early to announce concrete details of the plan.

Community consultation on any changes will be held once the new plan is released within the next 12 months.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6331502932

[Shuz]

Re: Melbourne St. Development

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 am

I go past Melbourne Street nearly everyday on the bus, and I've noticed lots of small office developments underway along the street, only about three levels, but some of them are of quite good architectural quality.

The Lion is also undergoing a bit of an extensive refurbishment, with the construction of a new beer garden.

It's quite a nice 'high street' of sorts. I can definetly see this coffee hub proposal comin to fruition an adding to the atmosphere of the precinct.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

metro
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by metro » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:31 am

First step in this should be to take all the heavy car traffic off of the narrow Melbourne street and onto the Wider and tree-lined Stanley Street. From what i've been told the main traffic used to go through Stanley street, I cant understand why they changed it :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:09 pm

North Adelaide Society president Ed Briedis said he hoped the City Council would not increase height limits along Melbourne St.

“We deliberately resist the notion that you have to build high in the sky,” Mr Briedis said.

“We think it (Melbourne St) is so good that it should be kept how it is.”
God these lot get tiresome, I seriously believe they have some mindset that live in some quint little village in the Adelaide Hills and not a busy inner city suburb. Building high in the sky, is more like 5 levels to them lot :roll:

Both Melbourne and O'Connell Streets should be allowed to have buildings up to the 10 level mark. Melbourne Street would thrive from having more residents living along the strip aswell as a tram connection to the city.
metro wrote:First step in this should be to take all the heavy car traffic off of the narrow Melbourne street and onto the Wider and tree-lined Stanley Street. From what i've been told the main traffic used to go through Stanley street, I cant understand why they changed it :roll:
Could you imagine the war this would create considering Stanley Street is home to some very wealthy residents. I say leave as it is, it's not like that many motorists use Melbourne Street anyway.

[Shuz]

#15 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:16 pm

metro wrote:First step in this should be to take all the heavy car traffic off of the narrow Melbourne street and onto the Wider and tree-lined Stanley Street. From what i've been told the main traffic used to go through Stanley street, I cant understand why they changed it :roll:
Could you imagine the war this would create considering Stanley Street is home to some very wealthy residents. I say leave as it is, it's not like that many motorists use Melbourne Street anyway.[/quote]

I agree with Metro; they should divert the traffic back onto Stanley Street and pedestrianise Melbourne Street a lot more - heck, even convert it into a PT/pedestrian only mall. Tramline and buses can run down the middle 1x1 configuration, and the footpaths widened exponentially.