[ONH] News & Developments: Parafield Airport Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[ONH] Re: Proposed: Indoor adventure park near Parafield Airport

#46 Post by crawf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Not when it's part of the whole development. Costco hasn't even been confirmed yet, it's just rumours at the moment.

Plus I already posted that article in that thread....

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by ghs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

Sorry to say this but I am not so optimistic about this proposal.....

From what I've seen I don't think these Flow-riders are very good, also
how does indoor sky diving work ?

metro
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by metro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

ghs wrote:also how does indoor sky diving work ?
if you've ever seen that coke ad with the kids flying out the top of a giant coke bottle and into the water, it's a bit like that:

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

[ONH] Re: Parafield Airport | Developments & News

#49 Post by relapse » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Just saw on Adelaide Now that this has been approved, the rumours are that it's going to be DFO branded complex does anyone know if there's any truth to this or not ?

PeFe

#50 Post by PeFe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm

Proposal to increase number of flights at Parafield. The locals reaction really does sum up Adelaide..............NIMBYVILLE.

From The Messenger
Parafield Airport draft master plan could add 750 more jobs but locals angry at extra noise

UP to 750 jobs are ready for take-off at Parafield Airport if plans for a massive increase in flights are approved.

But locals are objecting in force, saying the extra noise will cause them to pack up and leave the neighbourhood.

This follows the release — for community feedback — of Parafield Airport Limited’s draft master plan.

The plan, described as a “vision” rather than a fully costed project, provides a framework for ongoing development at the airport across the next 20 years.

The number of Parafield flights would increase to 345,000 a year by 2037 — a 61 per cent increase on the 214,000 logged in 2016.

An enterprise precinct — housing a range of commercial, industrial and aviation industries — would also be established.

It is envisaged that this precinct would provide 600 of the predicted 750 ongoing on-site jobs.

READ THE FULL PRELIMINARY REPORT

Parafield Airport managing director Mark Young said the development of commercial opportunities would help support the general economy.

“This continued growth is providing local job opportunities and a significant contribution to the northern Adelaide region,” Mr Young said.

But the increase in local flights has left its neighbours frustrated.

One resident, who did not want to be identified, said she had lived near the airport for almost 40 years — and found a traffic increase “disturbing”.

“We used to have aircraft flying overhead every 20-30 seconds for several hours,” she said.

“I developed hypertension after stress from years of high noise exposure.

“Many family and friends have moved away due to the aircraft noise and in reality that is the only option that most people have if the aircraft noise affects them.”

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 5fa72872d9

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by eKwatee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:00 pm

My understanding is not with air traffic just the extremely noisy planes. From what I was told from someone in the know that approximately 4 years ago a certain flight school had purchased some inexpensive very noisy light aircraft that were also extremely uneconomical, hence cheap.

The older much quieter aircraft were and still are barely noticeable as these older aircraft are still being used today, and you can barely even notice they are flying around. But in the recent years with the purchase of these noisy, cheap and nasty aircraft, I suspect are the culprits to upsetting the neighbours.

I think they've, as the call it "S#%t in their own bed", they should've spent a little more and purchased the quieter aircraft.

SBD

#52 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 pm

PeFe wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm
Proposal to increase number of flights at Parafield. The locals reaction really does sum up Adelaide..............NIMBYVILLE.

From The Messenger
Parafield Airport draft master plan could add 750 more jobs but locals angry at extra noise

UP to 750 jobs are ready for take-off at Parafield Airport if plans for a massive increase in flights are approved.

But locals are objecting in force, saying the extra noise will cause them to pack up and leave the neighbourhood.

I guess for the ones who leave the neighbourhood, it won't be in their backyards any more.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:23 am

The runway extension looks like it's going to end pretty close to Elder Smith Drive!

Also, anyone know what's happening with the outlet mall that's supposedly meant to be open by the end of the year? The signs are up but looks like no actual work's been done on the outlet mall.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:23 am
The runway extension looks like it's going to end pretty close to Elder Smith Drive!

Also, anyone know what's happening with the outlet mall that's supposedly meant to be open by the end of the year? The signs are up but looks like no actual work's been done on the outlet mall.
The District Outlet at Parafield still claims on its billboards to be opening late 2017. That's looking increasingly unlikely considering we're in August and they haven't even broken ground yet.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#55 Post by relapse » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Here we are at the end of 2018 and still no sign of The District being built anytime soon.

Last I heard there was a legal battle as there were also potential plans to build an outlet centre next to the homemaker centre at Gepps Cross so the developers for The District were trying to stop the other one from being built.

I don't care which one gets built, but just hope that one of them actually goes ahead.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Bit of a sorry state of affairs that part of the Parafield Airport precinct - with the abandoned Masters site, and The District not even looking like getting underway anytime soon.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#57 Post by relapse » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Apparently construction will start on The District in October working towards a Q1 2021 opening.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

relapse wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Apparently construction will start on The District in October working towards a Q1 2021 opening.
I'll believe that when I see it - given it was meant to be opened in late 2017

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by eKwatee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Classic Jets Fighter Museum at Parafield Airport looks like it's set to close, with all the lots being auctioned off individually.

https://www.mgs.net.au/auction/viewauction.html?a=8357

Nort

#60 Post by Nort » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:08 pm

eKwatee wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm
Classic Jets Fighter Museum at Parafield Airport looks like it's set to close, with all the lots being auctioned off individually.

https://www.mgs.net.au/auction/viewauction.html?a=8357
That's really sad! Been in there a couple of times and shame more people didn't seem to know about it.