[COM] Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: VIS: Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

#31 Post by fishinajar » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Dvious, do you live in Norwood?

lynettea
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by lynettea » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:13 am

For anyone interested, the petitions to attempt to save the heritage cork tree will be delivered on 11 March to Coles, the NP&SP Council, and the office of local MP Steven Marshall. There is a petition collected on paper, with the handwritten signatures required for tabling in SA State Parliament, with over 1,100 signatures and the printed version of the online petition , currently at 1,243 signatures. Not bad, if you consider Norwood itself had a population of less than six thousand people in the 2011 census (quoted in Wikipedia).
Presentation will start with a meeting at the cork tree at 11 am.
Will Coles potential customers save the tree? People feel powerless in the face of planning processes that disallow submissions from anyone living more than 60 metres from a development.
We may think we live in a democracy, but who really decides what our surroundings will be like?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Vee » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:28 pm

lynettea wrote:For anyone interested, the petitions to attempt to save the heritage cork tree will be delivered on 11 March to Coles, the NP&SP Council, and the office of local MP Steven Marshall. There is a petition collected on paper, with the handwritten signatures required for tabling in SA State Parliament, with over 1,100 signatures and the printed version of the online petition , currently at 1,243 signatures. Not bad, if you consider Norwood itself had a population of less than six thousand people in the 2011 census (quoted in Wikipedia).
Presentation will start with a meeting at the cork tree at 11 am.
Will Coles potential customers save the tree? People feel powerless in the face of planning processes that disallow submissions from anyone living more than 60 metres from a development.
We may think we live in a democracy, but who really decides what our surroundings will be like?
Thanks for this information and welcome to the forum, lynettea.
This is not just ANY tree, as outlined previously in this forum, and via your petition.
Good luck with your petition(s) and presentation.

I hope Coles have a re-think about the fate of this historic Cork tree. Surely this grand and historic tree would add a significant point of attraction and community interest if integrated into the development - in the shopping/hospitality area (or some residential???) adjacent their supermarket?
And avoid a community backlash?

Personally, I find the proposed Coles redevelopment bland and boring, and the failure to add a residential component in the mix was disappointing. Great location to add extra vibe and an opportunity to meet the need for Council residential infill targets.

Vee
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: PRO: Coles Norwood Redevelopment | 8 Lvls

#34 Post by Vee » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:32 am

Latest update on this redevelopment as reported in Messenger News.
Cork tree in Norwood carpark is safe for now after Coles’ $50m redevelopment plan is knocked back.
A RETAIL giant’s plans for a $50 million redevelopment at Norwood will have to go back to the drawing board after failing to be approved last night.

The knock-back also protects a 140-year-old Norwood cork tree — which was at risk of being ripped out to make way for the Coles redevelopment.

... Norwood, Payneham & St Peters Council held an emergency meeting to vote for a 30-day stay on the tree, allowing an investigation into moving the tree 100m to Coke Park.

The cost of relocating the 13m-tall tree to the nearby park was estimated at up to $225,000.
Coles had agreed to pay up to $80,000 for it to be transported, with ratepayers having to pay the remainder of the costs.
The redevelopment plan...
...was knocked back in its current form due to concerns about the tree, lack of parking spaces and amenity issues.
The Messenger report also mentions criticism by the TWU of the truck loading bays in the new design as being unsafe and trucks having to wait/idle in adjacent streets.

Eastern Messenger:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6860109732

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by how good is he » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am

Can someone explain how relocating a 13m tree some 100m could cost up to $225,000? Can we see the itemised quote? ...you would think Coles offer of $80,000 would be enough and it would be case closed?

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#36 Post by victorious80 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 am

The excavation around the root ball of such a significantly sized tree will be very large, not to mention the size of the excavation in the new location. Then there is the cost of disposal of all the fill, cost of clean backfill for the new site, cost of a crane to move the tree, cost of arborist, irrigation, etc. This doesn't sound like much, but it all adds up. These days, $200k doesnt buy that much in the civil game. $80k would barely be enough to dig the thing up!

That is why I was amazed that people were confused and upset at how the annual maintenance of the new footbridge could cost up to $300k per year. That is not a lot of money these days. Yes, it sounds significant, but with the cost of wages, safety, insurance, etc, construction / maintenance activities cost a lot of money.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by how good is he » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 pm

I have tried to break it down and being very generous with figures....bobcat & driver for 3-5 days $10,000, clean back fill soil $10,000, dumping excess soil $10,000, crane and truck for the day $20,000, irrigation $10,000, arborist $10,000...even allowing another $10,000!! for intangibles the total still only comes to $80,000. How the hell they get it to $225,000 is beyond me. What else is there that would add another $150,000??

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#38 Post by victorious80 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:26 am

A bobcat will be required to move dirt, but it wont do the digging. Would need a large excavator, probably 25 tonne to be able to dig to the depth required. They don't come cheap, and you pay for them to sit there on the site whether it is working or not.

Apart from construction costs, there are indirect costs. ie council staff to write business case to get the project up and running, project managers required to manage the job once it is approved, contract administrators, safety supervisors, design engineers to plan the excavation, crane lift and reinstatement, landscape architects to design the look of the new installation (in a nice area like Norwood it wont just be a tree stuck in a hole - might be paving around it, feature stone walls, new pathways, etc), traffic management, drafting costs, quality engineers to prepare handover documents, plus the contractor and subbies all add their profit margin.

The tree is near a road, so roots are likely to be in close vicinity to existing buried services (water, sewer, power, Telstra, etc) so these services may need relocation or reinstatement following excavation.

I would also expect that cost to include ongoing maintenance to keep the tree alive - almost like a warranty period that the contractor will be required to provide.

As concerning as it is, $225k sounds about right these days for a job like this.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:49 pm

People feel powerless in the face of planning processes that disallow submissions from anyone living more than 60 metres from a development.
That's not accurate, lynette. The restrictions on comment depend on the classification of the development application. For example, if it is Category 3, then you could live on the moon and object.

However, I'm in favour of retaining this tree, ideally in situ. Despite the fate of the gum tree at Burnside Village, I agree that many mall developments are cookie cutter designs without much flair. An area open to the sky with the tree as it's focal point could be a real commercial asset to a shopping centre, and could provide a restful, shady little haven for shoppers. Happy shoppers spend more!

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:31 am

A little off topic, but I can't find literally ANYTHING on th redevelopment of Parade Central (where Hoyts lives), Billy Baxters has closed, Subway have relocated to a shop-front on the Parade and a 24/7 gym has opebed at the back of the building. They've replaced the facade of the building on The Parade side, and they look to be enclosing the outdoor area on the corner of George Street and The Parade. Can anyone link me or give some detail on what's actually happening and who might be moving in? Phantom, seeing as you live in Norwood?
I've always hoped a JB Hi-Fi would open in the building to replace The Muses that left some years ago..

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by Phantom » Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:A little off topic, but I can't find literally ANYTHING on th redevelopment of Parade Central (where Hoyts lives), Billy Baxters has closed, Subway have relocated to a shop-front on the Parade and a 24/7 gym has opebed at the back of the building. They've replaced the facade of the building on The Parade side, and they look to be enclosing the outdoor area on the corner of George Street and The Parade. Can anyone link me or give some detail on what's actually happening and who might be moving in? Phantom, seeing as you live in Norwood?
I've always hoped a JB Hi-Fi would open in the building to replace The Muses that left some years ago..
Yay! I feel needed!

I'll go down there tomorrow and see. I'm not actually 100% of what's going on myself. I thought it was just getting a facelift? Shows what I know. :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Phantom » Thu May 15, 2014 1:15 pm

So, an update!

I went past it earlier and it's having concrete placed around where those old planters were. The same colour cladding appears to have been used to spruce the place up a bit and I think they're trying to place a bigger emphasis upon the shops that face The Parade. The four or so shops around the entrance to the cinema are all closed off, so and the only workers I could see were in relatively unsafe areas for a pedestrian to ask questions. :P

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd say it's just getting a facelift. I'd wager a guess at maybe another 6 weeks or so before new tennants could start to move in, but that's just a uninformed guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic however, today as I walked through the shop, there was this Masterchef style thing going on with Nova FM signs up, a loudspeaker and a live radio show coming from there. It got a lot of attention from the over 65 age group.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Patrick_27

#43 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:06 am

Phantom wrote:So, an update!

I went past it earlier and it's having concrete placed around where those old planters were. The same colour cladding appears to have been used to spruce the place up a bit and I think they're trying to place a bigger emphasis upon the shops that face The Parade. The four or so shops around the entrance to the cinema are all closed off, so and the only workers I could see were in relatively unsafe areas for a pedestrian to ask questions. :P

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd say it's just getting a facelift. I'd wager a guess at maybe another 6 weeks or so before new tennants could start to move in, but that's just a uninformed guess.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic however, today as I walked through the shop, there was this Masterchef style thing going on with Nova FM signs up, a loudspeaker and a live radio show coming from there. It got a lot of attention from the over 65 age group.
Cheers for looking into it Phantom! :D

I've done a bit of research, myself. Obviously Subway have moved a couple of doors down to make way for the enclosing of the outdoor area at the entry. Hoyts are promoting through their website that they have upgraded and expanded their complex in the centre (a function area and now seven cinemas? Which is what I though they had before...). Snap Fitness appear to have opened a 24/7 gym at the back of the centre, however the photos I've managed to pull up on this seem to show that they've taken the back entry point to the building? Unless they've just branded the door and the entry is from the main corridor?
Probably the most exciting point I noticed was that Adelaide's very first GRILL'D Fresh Burger restaurant :banana: will be opening there in the coming months (where Billy Baxters was), their application for a liquor license went through the May 5 NP&SP Council Meeting and seemingly was approved, their staff have all been hired and are in training. Amongst the agenda I managed to find a floor-plan for the store, which I'll post with this...

To my surprise, there hasn't been much who-ha about this development on this site or anywhere else, I couldn't even find any DAP or council minutes for Parade Central's upgrade, which is strange. I guess we'll have to wait for the end result...
Attachments
Grilld_Norwood.jpg
Grilld_Norwood.jpg (110.02 KiB) Viewed 9230 times

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by dsriggs » Wed May 28, 2014 1:48 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Probably the most exciting point I noticed was that Adelaide's very first GRILL'D Fresh Burger restaurant :banana:
So what? We have better burgers made by local companies already.

Patrick_27

#45 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 am

dsriggs wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Probably the most exciting point I noticed was that Adelaide's very first GRILL'D Fresh Burger restaurant :banana:
So what? We have better burgers made by local companies already.
Tell that to the masses who are excited about Pie Face and Krispy Kreme's setting up shop here. Grill'd are different, just like Burger Theory and Fancy Burger are different to each-other.