Aldi Distribution Centre | Regency Park $70 Million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Aldi Distribution Centre | Regency Park $70 Million

#46 Post by Waewick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:53 pm

blanchtown woukd be a strange spot for a distribution centre

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:55 am

Waewick wrote:blanchtown woukd be a strange spot for a distribution centre
Why? It's fairly central to that region and on the Sturt Highway.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#48 Post by Waewick » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:22 am

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:blanchtown woukd be a strange spot for a distribution centre
Why? It's fairly central to that region and on the Sturt Highway.
central geographically, but why wouldn't you just put it in Nuriootpa or Waikeire/Berri.

all bigger towns with infrastructure and people. 25mins difference either way (well Berri more like an hr)

metro
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by metro » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:20 pm

First Aldi stores opened today, I drove past Parafield Gardens hoping to pick up a few blocks of chocolate, and while stuck in traffic I saw a massive line out the door and down the street.. forget that. MIght go back another day.

Some people actually camped out overnight to be first, and Jay Weatherill took time out of his busy schedule to say a few words.. it's just a supermarket ffs :shock:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by neoballmon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:26 pm

I had a stop past the Woodcroft store on my way past at about midday and while the line outside was pretty small, inside was just a constant line up all through the store down every aisle, amd I heard from someone that it took people about half an hour to get down the first aisle.

The surrounding roads were also reduced to 25 with traffic controllers, although at that point it seemed a bit unnecessary as the carpark was relatively calm. I'm sure it was needed in the early morning though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Meh it's like anything new - was always going to get the big crowds to start off with (same as Ikea, Krispy Kremes, hell even the airport open day had shuttle buses).

I'll head along on the weekend, which is when I was going to do my food shopping anyway. If the prices are like the prices in their Victorian stores, could be looking at around a 50-60% saving on my shopping bill.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by pushbutton » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:19 am

The range is very poor, and apart from a few exceptions the prices don't seem noticeably cheaper to me.

It's also just not a very pleasant store to shop in.

Great to see the competition though as it does force the others to drop their prices!

Patrick_27

#53 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 pm

pushbutton wrote:The range is very poor, and apart from a few exceptions the prices don't seem noticeably cheaper to me.

Great to see the competition though as it does force the others to drop their prices!
I've been telling to people I know since they first announced their intention to open in SA. Just go to any Aldi interstate and you'll discover that the same lacking range exists there also.

Trying my best not to sound elitist but seemingly the only people who are excited about their presence in Adelaide are the same kinds of people who were queuing for days to get doughnuts from Krispy Kremes.

Having said all of that, though. I have noticed that both Coles and Woolies have dropped their prices considerably on a heap of products in the last couple of days.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:. Trying my best not to sound elitist but seemingly the only people who are excited about their presence in Adelaide are the same kinds of people who were queuing for days to get doughnuts from Krispy Kremes.
I think you're being way too presumptuous here. I am excited about Aldi entering our market, and I never lined up for Krispy Kremes. The great thing about Aldi is not just the prices, a lot of the products are also of higher quality than some of their counterparts, especially chocolate.

RustyCage
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#55 Post by RustyCage » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Aldi to open a store at Ingle Farm shopping centre.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#56 Post by Goodsy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:38 pm

RustyCage wrote:Aldi to open a store at Ingle Farm shopping centre.
did coles finally sell one of their stores?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:59 pm

RustyCage wrote:Aldi to open a store at Ingle Farm shopping centre.
Sadly Ingle Farm management have evicted GameRoom Essentials for Aldi.

Ingle Farm management getting absolutely hammered on Facebook over the decision - not so much with Aldi moving in, but the alleged deceptive nature that Ingle Farm used to lure GameRoom Essentials to the old Bowland site (where Aldi will go), with the belief GameRoom were there for at least the medium term.

As for the site itself, it's somewhat gone full circle, as before Bowland the site was the original Bi-Lo site at Ingle Farm.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:10 pm

pushbutton wrote:The range is very poor, and apart from a few exceptions the prices don't seem noticeably cheaper to me.

Anyone that's done one iota of research on Aldi know that one way they keep their prices down is their extremely limited range - often the choice of 2. Coles and Woolies are heading towards that anyway - well 1 brand and 4-5 private labels.

Their prices, especially their private label stuff, is a hell of a lot cheaper than other stores. I managed to do a very reasonable shop for about $45 on Thursday (which would've cost me about $85-$90 elsewhere). You might need to look a little harder next time to see the real savings - where else are you going to get 2L of liquid washing powder for $1.29 (for that price, it's worth giving a whirl, if it's an epic fail, I haven't lost much).

As for the pleasantness of the store, I can't disagree with you more. The SA Aldi stores are excellent. They look nice and modern, and while they're no Chapley Foodland, they are a hell of a lot nicer than most Coles/Woolies.

Also enjoy the checkout experience - having the operator scan the items and packing them myself I found quite efficient.

All up I think Aldi are great, and I'll definitely be doing the bulk of my shopping there in future.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by Wayno » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm

just plonking here as it's presumably Aldi related.

Driving past today i noticed the Kingswood Medical Clinic and adjacent gym (176-200 Belair Rd Hawthorn) is about to be demolished. Fencing all around and salvage company signs posted. I believe this is an Aldi in the making? If so it'll be a traffic nightmare on that corner.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Patrick_27

#60 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Wayno wrote:just plonking here as it's presumably Aldi related.

Driving past today i noticed the Kingswood Medical Clinic and adjacent gym (176-200 Belair Rd Hawthorn) is about to be demolished. Fencing all around and salvage company signs posted. I believe this is an Aldi in the making? If so it'll be a traffic nightmare on that corner.
You're correct, an Aldi in the making. What a difference a few days can make, there were still people using that building late last week. Dare I say it, Aldi's aim with this store's location is to shake up Foodland in Mitcham Shopping Centre, perhaps even put them in a position where they can nab the floor space that Woodland currently have within the centre. Personally, I can't wait to watch the inner-south locals reject Aldi and it's offerings. :wink: