COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

#226 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 pm

baytram366 wrote:They already had a gorgeous, one of a kind, art deco theatre down there and now they want to replace it with this piece of crap a little further down the road? They had their chance to create a modern cinema with the existing facade allowing something different and unique but they blew it. I assume the former cinema site is still empty?
I thought Taplin initially offered to buy the old cinema, but Wallis weren't interested.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#227 Post by Vee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 pm

baytram366 wrote:They already had a gorgeous, one of a kind, art deco theatre down there and now they want to replace it with this piece of crap a little further down the road? They had their chance to create a modern cinema with the existing facade allowing something different and unique but they blew it. I assume the former cinema site is still empty?
It still makes me see red every time I hear mention of the unique, beautiful art deco theatre in Jetty Road that was demolished and for what? This was a gem that was not appreciated by the owners/developers.

It's up there with other travesties such as demolition of:
- the old and iconic South Australian Hotel on North Terrace (where the Beatles stayed and made that famous appearance on the hotel balcony)
http://www.salife7.com.au/adelaide/plac ... lian-hotel
- replaced by an ugly hotel.

- and the classic Foy and Gibson store on the prominent Pulteney St/Rundle St corner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tuckwelldk/8182560389/
- replaced by an ugly carpark.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#228 Post by omada » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 am

Yes in absolute agreeance Vee. I wonder what happened to all the demolition rubble from the old cinema? Perhaps they should be made to reconstruct the facade of the old cinema at least. Then behind that they can commit as many concrete atrocity's as they like.