COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #COM: | Bay Junction | $60m | 3lvls | Retail | Glenelg

#211 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:51 pm

From AdelaideNow
Work to begin on Glenelg's former Wallis Cinema site

A ROOFTOP carpark has been added to plans for the redevelopment of the former Wallis cinema site at Glenelg, with work to start as soon as next month.

Shoppers would access the carpark, on top of the two-storey, $15 million retail and office building, from the upper carpark of the adjoining Bayside Village.

The plan will come before the Holdfast Bay development assessment panel on Wednesday, August 22.

Wallis spokesman Philip Roberts said if the 34-space carpark was approved, work could start within a month and be finished this time next year.

Mr Roberts said the carpark addition was the reason the project had been delayed after the historic Art Deco cinema was razed last August.

It required "a significant engineering change" to the plans, including stronger foundations for the build-ing, and the consent of Bayside Village owner the Taplin Group.

"It provides more parking in the area, which is a good thing," Mr Roberts said.

"In terms of overall appearance, the building remains exactly the same."

The building would have five ground floor tenancies of up to 220sq m and an upstairs office space of more than 800sq m, which could be split into smaller tenancies.

Mr Roberts said there had been "lots of positive interest" in the development but no tenants had been secured.

"We're not worried about that at all," he said, adding that he expected interested businesses to commit to leases once the plans were approved and a firm completion date set.

Bayside Village owner Andrew Taplin said he had agreed to give Wallis access rights from his shopping centre to the proposed carpark, which Wallis would control.

"I think it would be good to create more carparks at that end of the street," he said. Glenelg Pet Centre owner Sue Perdikis said the new shops and extra carparking would "help pick up business, especially on the weekends".

"As long as it encourages people to this end of the street, that's good," she said. Ms Perdikis said a gourmet grocer or "old-fashioned deli-snack bar" would be welcome additions to the area.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#212 Post by omada » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 pm

I can't get over my bitterness that they demolished the art deco cinema, so I hope the development fails and taplin go out of business. Maybe I should go to a support group or something and move on.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#213 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:20 pm

omada wrote:I can't get over my bitterness that they demolished the art deco cinema, so I hope the development fails and taplin go out of business. Maybe I should go to a support group or something and move on.
Why Taplin? Didn't they try and reach a deal to take over the cinema, but Wallis refused?

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#214 Post by Goya's Line » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:09 am

Wayno wrote:From AdelaideNow
Work to begin on Glenelg's former Wallis Cinema site
"I think it would be good to create more carparks at that end of the street," he said. Glenelg Pet Centre owner Sue Perdikis said the new shops and extra carparking would "help pick up business, especially on the weekends".
Woolies already offer free 3-hour parking next-door and I've never seen it full; if businesses aren't coping near Brighton Rd. I doubt parking is the problem.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#215 Post by baytram366 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:35 pm

From what I know, Taplin did try to get Wallis to hand over the cinema but weither or not he tried hard enough is another question. I still haven't been down Jetty Road since the cinema was demolished and I hope Wallis really now regret what they did. Looks like the Chelsea cinema is doing well without Wallis BTW :P
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#216 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Andrew Taplin's Glenelg cinema project gets community support

A PROPOSED seven-screen cinema complex at Glenelg has received overwhelming community support.

During public consultation last month, more than 400 people backed Holdfast Bay Council's move to revoke the community land status of the Cowper St carpark, necessary for the project to proceed.

There were 422 positive responses, 76 negative and 39 neutral.

more

Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: COM: [Glenelg] Bay Junction Shopping Centre | $60m

#217 Post by Maximus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:54 am

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I've just realised that this new cinema (i.e. Port Adelaide Fan above) and the new development at the old cinema site (i.e. the subject of this thread) are in fact two separate developments in different locations. The site of the proposed new cinema appears to be here. So this thread should probably be split, or at least the new cinema stuff could go in the general Glenelg developments thread.

Anyway, for what it's worth, latest news (on the new cinema) is as follows:
Developer confident Glenelg cinema will be open by summer, 2015
Heather Kennett
Guardian Messenger
January 10, 201312:11PM

A PROPOSED seven-screen cinema complex at Glenelg is still more than two years away.

Developer Andrew Taplin wants to build a $17 million cinema at Jetty Rd but is waiting for the State Government to revoke community land status for the site before work can begin.

Mr Taplin said he had hoped Local Government Minister Russell Wortley would have approved the change of status before the Christmas break, but was confident it would occur in the coming weeks.

continues...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#218 Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Work to start on the former Wallis site in late March.
Work on $15 million development at former Glenelg Cinema site to start in two months
Heather Kennett
Guardian Messenger
January 31, 2013 12:55PM

WORK on a $15 million two-storey retail and office complex at the former Wallis cinema site on Jetty Rd will start in two months.

Wallis spokesman Philip Roberts said today he expected work on the development would start by the end of March.

"We're very keen to get on with it and we are anxious to have it completed by late in the year or early next year," he said.

The prominent site has remained vacant since August 2011, when the landmark 1937 Art Deco Glenelg Cinema was demolished.

continues...
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#219 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:46 am

I thought the shopping centre where Wallis used to be would never happen, but I went past on Sunday and was surprised to see it is nearly complete structurally. I am interested to see what types of business occupy the shop fronts, seeing as so much of Jetty Road is empty. It's a shame they didn't incorporate residential into this development to provide a bit of life to the area.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#220 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 am

In other developments...
Council workshop to reveal first details of Glenelg cinema deal
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6679678866
HEATHER KENNETT GUARDIAN MESSENGER JULY 16, 2013 9:03AM

THE conditions underpinning a contentious plan to build a $17 million cinema in Glenelg will be made public for the first time tonight.

Holdfast Bay Council's elected members will receive a briefing on the plan at a workshop, which will be open to the public, at the Brighton Civic Centre, between 6.30-8.30pm.

Holdfast Bay chief executive Justin Lynch said the workshop would provide councillors with the terms of the deal between developer Andrew Taplin and the council, to build an eight-screen cinema above a council-owned carpark on Cowper St.

Mr Taplin has been in talks with the council to build a separate single deck carpark, worth more than $5?million, just east of Partridge St, next to the proposed cinema.

Under the plan, the council would provide $2.5?million towards the carpark's cost and retain ownership of it.

Mr Lynch said the briefing would pave the way for elected members to revoke the site's community land status, allowing Mr Taplin to lodge a planning application.

The workshop will be held at Kingston Room, Brighton Civic Centre, Jetty Rd, Brighton, tonight.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#221 Post by omada » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 am

I love how you can see the carpark from the road and all that wonderful concrete, a real gem of a building!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#222 Post by Ben » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 am

omada wrote:I love how you can see the carpark from the road and all that wonderful concrete, a real gem of a building!
Agreed should be atleast street frontage retail/cafes

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:17 pm

Do we really need yet more cinemas? Why can't developers use a bit of imagination and be a bit adventurous. There are many other entertainment options which Adelaide does not currently have and which could be hugely popular.

A cinema complex in Glenelg may struggle to compete with the nearby Marion and West Lakes cinemas. This was already demonstrated by the fact Wallis closed the old Glenelg cinemas not that long ago.

Nice looking design though, apart from the lack of street frontage at ground level.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Shithouse.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by baytram366 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:38 am

They already had a gorgeous, one of a kind, art deco theatre down there and now they want to replace it with this piece of crap a little further down the road? They had their chance to create a modern cinema with the existing facade allowing something different and unique but they blew it. I assume the former cinema site is still empty?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections