[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF] Re: #ONH: AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | (60,000+) | West Lakes

#511 Post by Paulns » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Will wrote:Adam73873, you have written the same thing for all 33 pages of this thread. We do not need to read the same arguement over and over again. I support a city stadium as much as you do, however can you please refrain from posting this same arguement over and over again.
I agree with Adam73873 regardless.. My thoughts exactly!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#512 Post by Cruise » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:29 pm

I like the assoicated buildings around it, but not the fact they are keeping the ugly southern stand coporate boxes.

Anyway, go watch is:

http://www.sanfl.com.au/getthefacts/virtual_tour.html

I lol'ed at the boundary line in the video, it makes it look like VFL park's!!!

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#513 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm

What are all those buildings near football park for?

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#514 Post by ricecrackers » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:What are all those buildings near football park for?
to make it look like its actually near something
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#515 Post by Cruise » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:09 pm

I believe one on one side you have a community centre and the other new SANFL admin faclities

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#516 Post by Cruise » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:12 pm

ricecrackers wrote:
In case you never relised, there is a 750,000 square foot shopping centre across the road :wank:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#517 Post by rev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Oh, is that what that is? :lol:

But seriously, Westfield WL is hardly an attraction. It's just another suburban shopping center.
Now, a stadium around the corner from Rundle Mall, Rundle Street, Hindley Street, Gouger Street, and not to far from The Parade and O Connel st...mmhhmm.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#518 Post by ghs » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Those buildings in the virtual tour seemed strange to me as well. They are clearly out of
place. In the future there's likely to be more apartment building go up near the lake,
but I can't see any going up right next to the stadium !

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#519 Post by rev » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:42 pm

Perhaps a hotel, similar in idea to the stadium/hotel suggestion by Adelaide United?
Or perhaps commercial property? Maybe the SANFL plan on paying for the upgrade partly through leasing office space?

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#520 Post by ricecrackers » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Cruise wrote:
ricecrackers wrote:
In case you never relised, there is a 750,000 square foot shopping centre across the road :wank:
great, i cant wait to go there someday :wank:
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#521 Post by adam73837 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:49 pm

At least the SANFL's proposals look decent (compared with what we have now, it is clearly an improvement) however seriously, HOW is all this going to be done within a budget of around $100m?
AAMI_Vision_6.jpg
AAMI_Vision_6.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
It has also been noted several times that NOTHING can change its absolutely embrassingly RIDICULOUS location (yes I KNOW I've said it before.)
I mean really, if the seating reconfigurations and revamp of most of the surrounding infrastructure is going to cost around $100m (according to the SANFL), what's the hold-up in building an entirely new stadium in the city for both football and soccer?! According to the SANFL's prices structure, it shouldn't cost any more than around $500m to build a new multi-purpose stadium in the city! Don't ANYONE tell me that there isn't any fear within the SANFL regarding soccer. (If its not because of that reason, it is because they are being outright selfish and stubborn.)
While the new design will offer very good views for the people in the eastern and western grandstands and the corporate boxes, the people in the current Northern Grandstand and lower level of seating will have the same ridiculous view (which show no signs of being redeveloped -not that I was expecting them to do so within the next few years, but seriously, if they want AAMI to be a world-class stadium, all or most of the viewers should have brilliant views and it seems to me that the lower level and Northern Grandstand make up a significantly larger number of seating compared to that of the Eastern and Western Grandstands -I stand to be corrected.)
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#522 Post by Cruise » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 am

The reason the SANFL is being stubborn is because every dime they collect in revenue goes to them.

But seeing as you find that hard to understand i think you are being the stubborn one, not the SANFL.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#523 Post by Matt » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:54 pm

The whole 'stadium debate' is a load of bollocks and I'm over it.
The SANFL aren't going to budge on their position and risk losing control of their major cash-cow, the AFC are already investing in new facilities there (that are under construction), the AFL have insisted that football is staying at AAMI, and the State Government are refusing to even (publicly) investigate the possibility of a new stadium, despite the overwhelming public interest.

If they want to throw more money at Jurassic Park - go right ahead - but I've ditched my Crows membership and will use the money saved on a couple of Melbourne trips instead where I can actually enjoy the experience rather than dread it.

The Melbourne football public enjoy:
- great public transport
- great atmosphere
- great facilities (MCG, Telstra Dome)
- the opportunity to have a meal or drinks before and after the game with endless choices of venue
- the sense of 'event' and the excitement of being in a city awash with supporters on match day

The Adelaide football public has NONE of these.

The Crows consistently sell out matches - AAMI holds just over 50,000, yet crowd figures are usually less than 40,000 - so who and where are the other 10-15k who don't rock up, despite having paid for their tickets?

I'd bet that a fair proportion would be season-ticket holders like myself, that often cannot be bothered with the ordeals associated with that arsehole of a venue.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#524 Post by adam73837 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Here's an article by Lainie Anderson from yesterday's Sunday Mail regarding Media Mike's comments in... Saturday's paper I believe it was.
Just ask us if we want a stadium

PREMIER Mike Rann wants a referendum on the Upper House to coincide with the March 2010 state poll.

I want a referendum on an inner-city stadium. Mr Rann says he won't divert money from water, hospitals and policing to pay for a stadium.
I say adequate water, hospitals and policing are essential services that should be the absolute minimum provided by any government.

Mr Rann says he's not opposed to a stadium and would say, "You beauty" if a private investor stumped up the cash.

I say it's time, then, for Mr Rann to act like Mr T in those Snickers ads and "get some nuts".

Of course water, health, education and policing are key issues for any government. What we need above and beyond those things is visionary leadership – investment in projects that will grow the economy and boost the state's psyche.

I hate to keep harping on about Jeff Kennett and Victoria, but the bloke invested billions in sporting and arts infrastructure back in the 1990s – and look at Melbourne now. Last year it was named a UNESCO City of Literature.

If we can't afford a multi-sports stadium today, let's have a mature debate about how we make it happen tomorrow.

Let's look at how other cities have raised capital for projects, and consider ideas like special state-run lotteries or mass small investment by individuals, families and private enterprise.

And how about demolishing some of our many smaller stadiums to raise additional capital from land sales, with the aim of creating a single, profitable home for our teams in national competitions for sports, including netball, basketball, soccer and the AFL?

Add to that $100 million Kevin Foley has promised in future budgets for AAMI Stadium, plus the extra tens of millions we'd save in axing the proposed tram line out to West Lakes, and we're well on the way to finding the funds.

And here's another thing. Work on the new Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital should not begin until after the election. We did not vote to raze the Royal Adelaide Hospital in the last state poll, nor did we vote for a huge swath of precious inner-city real estate to be eaten up by a new hospital with a silly name. (I notice Mr Rann has been calling it our big, new "Central Hospital" in his recent mini-budget ads.)

Imagine the boost to Adelaide if a state-of-the-art stadium was built on that site, with an entertainment precinct overlooking the Torrens and trams and walkways linking sports fans to the city's restaurant and nightclub precincts.

Mr Rann wants to grow SA's population by tens of thousands in coming years. Most of those new South Aussies – potential new paid-up members for the Power, the Crows, Adelaide United, the 36ers, Adelaide Lightning and the Thunderbirds – will not be concentrated in the western suburbs.

They'll be located to the north and south of the city, and increasingly in the Adelaide Hills.

A central stadium, one that can be accessed with a single journey on public transport from anywhere in the city, is what we need as the population increases.

Don't get me wrong. On many fronts I think Mr Rann is a good premier. He has his finger very firmly on the public pulse and knows that water and health will be two election deciders.

But parklands development and the revitalisation of inner Adelaide are major sources of frustration for just about every person I know.

They will undoubtedly be sleeper issues in this poll, and right now they are Mr Rann's Achilles heel.

The debate should not be about hospitals OR a stadium – especially as Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith has pledged to rebuild the Royal Adelaide Hospital at its current site and instead develop "City West" as an entertainment and cultural precinct that might include a world-class sporting venue.

In fact, most people I know would go further than demanding a referendum on a stadium. Most would like to vote on curtailing the powers of Adelaide City Council so the entire state can have a say in developing inner-Adelaide as a vibrant 21st-century city.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#525 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:14 pm

adam73837 wrote:Here's an article by Lainie Anderson from yesterday's Sunday Mail regarding Media Mike's comments in... Saturday's paper I believe it was.
Just ask us if we want a stadium

PREMIER Mike Rann wants a referendum on the Upper House to coincide with the March 2010 state poll.

In fact, most people I know would go further than demanding a referendum on a stadium. Most would like to vote on curtailing the powers of Adelaide City Council so the entire state can have a say in developing inner-Adelaide as a vibrant 21st-century city.
I read that in the Sunday Mail and had an overwhelming feeling that Lainie hadn't done much research other than summarising the main points of the our posts on the subject. :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.