[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF] AAMI Stadium Upgrade | $100m | 52,000

#1 Post by crawf » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 am

$70m footy boost
Michael McGuire
September 17, 2006 12:15am

AAMI Stadium will receive a $70 million facelift over the next five years in one of the biggest redevelopments of the arena since it opened in 1974

A range of player, spectator and corporate facilities are set for improvement under the plan drawn up by SANFL Executive Commissioner Leigh Whicker.
Preliminary talks have also begun with the State Government about building a rail or light rail link to AAMI to improve public access to thestadium, even though Premier Mike Rann said this week building a rail spur to the venue was "not on the Government's agenda".

The redevelopment comes as some South Australian identities privately question AAMI Stadium's future, even though they refuse to air their views publicly.

They believe the only long-term viable option for SA is to build a multi-purpose, state-of-the-art stadium, which could cost about $400 million, close to the CBD.

Mr Whicker acknowledged there were deficiencies at AAMI, but said the $70 million in improvements was aimed at taking the venue to the "next level".

He also agreed AAMI would need to be improved if Adelaide was to host games in the event of soccer's World Cup coming to Australia, potentially in 2018 – a concept backed by Mr Rann.

'"We have been here for 30 years - it's the home of football and more recently the home of the Crows and the Power - and let there be no mistake we'll be here for the next 30 years," Mr Whicker said.

He dismissed calls for a to build a new "superstadium" in South Australia and said the spectator experience at AAMI was the best in Australia.

"We are here to take on board customers comments, our stakeholder comments, we don't fear constructive criticism at all, in fact we welcome it," he said.

"There's no venue in Australia whether it be Subiaco, the Gabba or wherever where thousands of families gather for the event with their picnics, their shelters and their BBQs and the carnival atmosphere.

"There's no venue in Australia that holds 4000 people (such as at the Crows shed) that can rub shoulders with their heroes after a game.

"This is a unique experience here."

Former AFL chief executive Wayne Jackson welcomed the news and said remaining at AAMI was the best option for football in South Australia.

"It (AAMI) does require some investment to take it closer to other stadiums in Australia," Mr Jackson said.

"It's easy to say that we need a new stadium but if it's not economically viable then it would be a disaster."

Mr Jackson pointed to the financial difficulties faced by Telstra Stadium in Sydney and Telstra Dome in Melbourne "with three to five times the population of Adelaide" as reasons why a new stadium may be a risky proposition.

Telstra Stadium was built for the 2000 Olympics in Sydney at a cost of $650 million, while Melbourne's Telstra Dome cost $480 million.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou also backed AAMI this week and said the SANFL would have access to a portion of the $28 million the governing body had set aside for facilty improvement.

Mr Demetrous said this would help build "a first-class arena giving 50,000 South Australians the chance to enjoy facilities equal to those at the MCG and Telstra Dome".

Mr Whicker acknowledged that improved public access to the stadium was an important issue and conceded that parts of the transportation system were "archaic".

Around 10,000 supporters travel by bus to AAMI and Mr Whicker said that system was already working at capacity and there were plans to extend the existing bus terminal.

Preliminary talks have already been held with Transport SA and the Department of Premier and Cabinet about a potential rail or light rail link to AAMI.

"It's on our agenda to have some discussions with the Government about light rail - that would be an absolute bonus for this venue, for the (adjacent West Lakes) shopping centre and to link up with Grange and Port Adelaide," Mr Whicker said.

A rail link to AAMI Stadium has been proposed previously, with former Premier John Olsen promising to build a spur off the Grange line at the Albert Park station before the 1997 State election.

However Mr Rann hosed down talk that the long awaited rail link might finally be delivered.

"This would have to cost tens of millions of dollars, perhaps much more," he said.

"And of course would have to be geared to handle large football crowds once a week during winter, rather than daily year round commuters. It is not on the Government's agenda."

Mr Whicker said the $70 million capital investment program would be funded from a variety of sources including additional borrowings, the State Government, the Federal Government, corporate sponsors and partners and the AFL.

He said the $22 million that will be spent over the next two years was already in place and that further talks would be held soon with potential funding sources.

The State Government has already committed $4 million to fund a security upgrade.

"We want to talk to the Federal Government as they have been supportive of new developments at Whitten Oval, Skilled Stadium and at Blacktown in Sydney."

Mr Whicker said a Medallion Club based on the successful concept developed at Telstra Dome would also be built on the roof of the eastern grandstand.

As many as 2000 seats would be available, with the SANFL looking to bring in a technology partner to instal personal televisions in all seats.

Mr Whicker said research was still being conducted on how much the seats would cost but original membership of Melbourne's Medallion club set spectators back an initial $5000 plus $500 a month for five years.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#2 Post by Pants » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:41 am

I might have to re-read it, but did they actually say what they're going to do?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF] Re: AAMI Stadium to recieve a $70million facelift

#3 Post by AtD » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:03 am

crawf wrote:Preliminary talks have already been held with Transport SA and the Department of Premier and Cabinet about a potential rail or light rail link to AAMI.
As the old AFL ad says, "I'd like to see that!"

Mants
Legendary Member!

[DEF]

#4 Post by Mants » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:27 pm

Pants wrote:I might have to re-read it, but did they actually say what they're going to do?
yes, in the article there was an artist's impression with captions explaining each. these included new members'facilities, new hall of fame and SANFL offices, increased seating and raised grandstand roof of the members grandstand, new superscreen, new public address system, improved lighting, new food kiosks and a madallion club.

there were also 4 proposals for new stadiums:

on the block next to AAMI, on the Adelaide Oval site, on Victoria Racecourse and the most popular (and expensive)- over the railyards

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#5 Post by Will » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:09 pm

To be honest I think that instead of spending the $70 million on the current AAMI stadium, I think the state government and the SANFL should focus on preparing a solution for the future. Having a new multi-purpose stadium in the city would be a blessing to the CBD. It would attract thousands of people into the CBD, people that will after the game not join massive traffic jams exiting West Lakes, but instead join the other thousands of people in Rundle Street and Hindley Street. Although it is more expensive, the positive benefits created by a new stadium over the rail-lines is the best option for the state.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

[DEF]

#6 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:18 am

Will wrote:Having a new multi-purpose stadium in the city would be a blessing to the CBD.
Should happen but never will. That would be the best solution for the greater good of the state. But the SANFL will act in short term self interest and won't ever consider it.

At least The Advertiser, amongst others, are pushing the barrow for a centrally located stadium. That's got to be the first step. These things don't come from left field. There needs to be years of lobbying and public pressure. But I fear the more money that is spent at AAMI, the less likely they'll ever be to move away.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#7 Post by Pants » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:28 am

Can someone please scan the Sunday Mail article in?

I'll love you for it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#8 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:40 pm

Its very easy for people to say we should build a $400m Multi-purpuse stadium, but logically money like that is better spent on our alying health system, public transport, roads, education, law and order. tho saying all that I would love to see a multi-purpuse stadium being built over the railway yards but in the future, not now.

so at the moment I would rather a rail link being built to AAMI Stadium.
Mants wrote:yes, in the article there was an artist's impression with captions explaining each. these included new members'facilities, new hall of fame and SANFL offices, increased seating and raised grandstand roof of the members grandstand, new superscreen, new public address system, improved lighting, new food kiosks and a madallion club.
but does this include demolishing the eastern stand, and building a 2 or 3 tier grandstand?, because that would give AAMI a real stadium feel!

anyway could someone please scan this article, because i didnt get the sunday mail yesterday.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[DEF]

#9 Post by Mants » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:51 pm

crawf wrote:Its very easy for people to say we should build a $400m Multi-purpuse stadium, but logically money like that is better spent on our alying health system, public transport, roads, education, law and order. tho saying all that I would love to see a multi-purpuse stadium being built over the railway yards but in the future, not now.
Perth is doing it :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#10 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Mants wrote:Perth is doing it :)
I know, but remember WA is currently going through a huge mining boom

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

[DEF]

#11 Post by aussie2000 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:32 pm

lol, ain't we aswell?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#12 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:55 pm

nope, ours hasnt started yet

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#13 Post by Will » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:25 pm

crawf wrote:Its very easy for people to say we should build a $400m Multi-purpuse stadium, but logically money like that is better spent on our alying health system, public transport, roads, education, law and order. tho saying all that I would love to see a multi-purpuse stadium being built over the railway yards but in the future, not now.

so at the moment I would rather a rail link being built to AAMI Stadium.

anyway could someone please scan this article, because i didnt get the sunday mail yesterday.

If we wait a few more years, instead of $400 million it will cost $1 billion. As a state we have to stop using the excuse you just used to stop us from investing in the future. We have to spend some money to make some money. And our future 'mining boom' will never be equal to that of WA, so delaying things until such a 'boom' happens will only stagnate us. The Advertiser uses the term 'boom' very lightly and frequently. For example recently the Sunday Mail announced that Whyalla was booming. What a load of BS. Just because the drain of people has stopped does not mean the town is booming.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[DEF]

#14 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 pm

Will wrote:If we wait a few more years, instead of $400 million it will cost $1 billion. As a state we have to stop using the excuse you just used to stop us from investing in the future. We have to spend some money to make some money.

I dont know about you but i want a decent public transport, health, police and education system before a $400m Stadium - what would probley blow out to hundreds of millions of dollars.
And our future 'mining boom' will never be equal to that of WA, so delaying things until such a 'boom' happens will only stagnate us. The Advertiser uses the term 'boom' very lightly and frequently.
how do you know?, the state is spending a record $140m to look for more mines and mining expects say theres more Olympic Dam size mines out there in the SA Outback (remember if this expansion goes ahead it will be the Worlds biggest open-cut mine)
For example recently the Sunday Mail announced that Whyalla was booming. What a load of BS. Just because the drain of people has stopped does not mean the town is booming.
the Sunday Mail didnt announce that, the Whyalla City mayor did!
anyway thats not the reason why they said Whyalla was booming, the reason was because the city is listed in the top 15 towns/cities for job growth in Australia (done by KPMG), $500m One Steal Plant Upgrade and local residents are starting to again feel confident about the towns future also the flow on affects from Olympic Dam and other proposed mines will be huge for Whyalla as well as for the Spencer Gulf region.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[DEF]

#15 Post by Will » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:38 am

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:If we wait a few more years, instead of $400 million it will cost $1 billion. As a state we have to stop using the excuse you just used to stop us from investing in the future. We have to spend some money to make some money.

I dont know about you but i want a decent public transport, health, police and education system before a $400m Stadium - what would probley blow out to hundreds of millions of dollars.
And our future 'mining boom' will never be equal to that of WA, so delaying things until such a 'boom' happens will only stagnate us. The Advertiser uses the term 'boom' very lightly and frequently.
how do you know?, the state is spending a record $140m to look for more mines and mining expects say theres more Olympic Dam size mines out there in the SA Outback (remember if this expansion goes ahead it will be the Worlds biggest open-cut mine)
For example recently the Sunday Mail announced that Whyalla was booming. What a load of BS. Just because the drain of people has stopped does not mean the town is booming.
the Sunday Mail didnt announce that, the Whyalla City mayor did!
anyway thats not the reason why they said Whyalla was booming, the reason was because the city is listed in the top 15 towns/cities for job growth in Australia (done by KPMG), $500m One Steal Plant Upgrade and local residents are starting to again feel confident about the towns future also the flow on affects from Olympic Dam and other proposed mines will be huge for Whyalla as well as for the Spencer Gulf region.

Despite the claims of certain people and The Advertiser claiming that our health system, education system and police force are in 'crisis' when you compare us to the rest of the world our public institutions are amongst the best in the world. There are some first world countries who do not have the quality of care provided by our hospitals. And our police force is not in crisis; if it was crime would not be coming down.

I agree that health and education are the most important things for the state, but we cannot dedicate the entire budget for these things. In that case should the state government cancel the tram extension? In that case should the state government withdraw its funding for the Clipsal 500 or the Fringe like some have claimed in the letters sent to the Advertiser? and if the same logic had been applied we would not have a National Wine Centre, Hindmarsh Stadium and Entertainment Centre.

And how do you know that we will have the most biggest and best mining boom in the world. Is it because the Advertiser said so? I really hope that the mining companies find gold, oil, diamonds and uranium but the reality is that SA will probably never match WA or even QLD in terms of mining and resources. No-one is denying that in the future mining will play a larger role in the state's economy but to claim that some massive boom will eventuate that will shower us in million and even billions of dollars is unlikely.

And the mayor of Whyalla has to present a positive view of his town; that's his job! The projects you have mentioned and 'the feeling' of certain townsfolk does not constitute a boom. Like I said, the local news-media likes to use the word 'boom' very often. In the case of Whyalla, just because the rot has stopped does not constitute a boom.

Stadiums are public infraestructure, and if we fail to invest in world class facillities, we will be overlooked for major sporting events. Just like we lost the tennis championship to Brisbane for having inadequate facillities we will continue to lose other events and be overlooked for future ones. This will make us less relevant as a city, and consign us to the category of a provincial city.
Last edited by Will on Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.