[COM] Bunnings (ex-Masters) Adelaide Airport

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Masters Adelaide Airport

#31 Post by pushbutton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:57 am

NOW OPEN!

I've just been in. Slightly less warehouse like than Bunnings and has white goods and kitchens. Otherwise it's very similar.

Nothing there to wow me. Doubt I'll go out of my way to visit again.

No wonder they're not making a profit. Any idiot could tell they needed to really impress customers from the minute they walk in if they wanted to snare them from the competition.

There's so many ways they could have done this, but like so many big corporations these days they've just gone for the safe, easy and obvious option.

Meh!

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:42 pm

pushbutton wrote:Dog of a location? This thread is discussing the Masters store next to Ikea. You surely couldn't get a better location than that.

Anyway it definitely wasn't open yesterday or today when I looked. The car park is blocked off by a big sign that says "Opening Soon".
Agree to disagree. I hate the ikea location as well.

The Scooter Guy

#33 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:21 pm

Heading down there tomorrow for more pics outside & inside!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#34 Post by Adeguy72 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 am

I visited the store yesterday and was also not overly impressed.

My observations are:

It is less of a warehouse store than Bunnings, with air conditioning & polished cement floors. I have read this is to cater more for females.
The hardware and gardening range is very limited. They have less stock variety and lower levels of stock than Bunnings. It's more like my local Mitre 10 than a Bunnings.
They have some categories than Bunnings dont cover, like decorator cushions, wall art and home electrical appliances like fridges and microwave ovens.
The Garden centre is good - but probably not as extensive than Bunnings.
The store is well laid out & much less cluttered than Bunnings.
The staff were friendly and helpful. I think there were lots more than you would find at a typical Bunnings (though this could be to cater for opening crowds).

I am not sure what niche it is tyrying to fill - in my opinion it's a hybrid of Bunnings, Ikea & Harvey Norman.

I don't think I will return - Í will stick to my local Bunnings due to it being closer. If I lived closer to Masters I would visit again, but I can't see any justification to travel there when i can get eveything I usually need at Bunnings which is a 10 minute drive closer to where I live.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 am

There's also no McCafe so presumably McDonald's pulled out due to not enough customers.

Even that would have given it something more. It has a small cafe, but it's not very inviting. I would not be tempted to stop there for a coffee.

Patrick_27

#36 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:14 pm

pushbutton wrote:There's also no McCafe so presumably McDonald's pulled out due to not enough customers.

Even that would have given it something more. It has a small cafe, but it's not very inviting. I would not be tempted to stop there for a coffee.
OR, there was never going to be a McCafe and you're just talking bollocks. Seriously, applying McDonald's logic why would they open in Masters when they haven't even established business in the Adelaide Airport yet?

I've read nothing of them even considering the idea in the Adelaide Airport Masters with the exception of your speculation.

Sure, they do it interstate; but I think it's fair to say what applies interstate usually doesn't apply here when it comes to big business.

And so I'm not perceived as a grumpy bastard because I'm not trying to be, here's a dancing banana. :banana:

Patrick_27

#37 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:15 pm

People seem to get the idea that Masters was going to be something more than what it is. One look at their website could have save anyone an underwhelming visit.

Waewick

#38 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 pm

I went and had a look as well.

Very clean and tidy and clearly well made building.

I only went because we were at ikea so that is how it will stay given I am miles away.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:23 am

They will probably do well in that location though, purely because it's next to Ikea. It's just logical that if people are at Ikea they're thinking of buying things to improve their homes, and Masters compliments Ikea perfectly.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by ReallyBad » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:26 pm

It's more like my local Mitre 10 than a Bunnings
Totally agree with that - I much prefer Bunnings, but then I am male so I think Masters is not my demographic
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:22 am

I'm male too and I prefer Masters. It's got nothing to do with gender!

rhino

#42 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:25 am

ReallyBad wrote:
It's more like my local Mitre 10 than a Bunnings
Totally agree with that - I much prefer Bunnings, but then I am male so I think Masters is not my demographic
That's interesting because I'm an owner-builder and I frequent my local hardware stores a lot, and I would take my local Mitre10 over my local Bunnings any day, the prices are similar (Bunnings is maybe 1% cheaper) but the service is so much better at my local Mitre10.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#43 Post by Waewick » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:52 pm

On a side note. How bad are the trolleys.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#44 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Waewick wrote:On a side note. How bad are the trolleys.
Funny you should say that, as although I didn't use a trolley when I visited, I over heard someone else say to their companion the trolleys were bad.

Waewick

#45 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:01 pm

Adeguy72 wrote:
Waewick wrote:On a side note. How bad are the trolleys.
Funny you should say that, as although I didn't use a trolley when I visited, I over heard someone else say to their companion the trolleys were bad.
may or may not have been me. Image