[PRO] Parafield Entertainment Complex | $180 million

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Parafield Entertainment Complex | $180 million

#1 Post by ghs » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 am

ADELAIDE property developer Commercial & General has secured an indoor skydiving operator for its $180 million dollar shopping and entertainment precinct planned for Adelaide’s northern suburbs.

ASX-listed Indoor Skydive Australia (ISA) plans to open its fourth skydiving facility at the 20ha site, which will be named the Kings Point Shopping and Entertainment Complex.

ISA will finalise the design of the iFLY Adelaide structure and then operate it under a lease agreement with the developer, which will be entitled to returns linked to the facility’s turnover.

ISA chief executive Wayne Jones expects construction of the 12-foot vertical wind tunnel to kick off late next year before completion in November 2016.

“iFLY Adelaide provides the perfect opportunity for ISA Group to partner with a developer to

incorporate indoor skydiving facilities into a broader entertainment complex,” he said.

Kings Point will feature more than 20,000sqm of entertainment space including cinemas, water slides, an aqua playground, indoor surfing, tenpin bowling, laser skirmish, a games arcade, rock climbing and a massive indoor trampoline.

It will also offer around 64,000sqm of retail floor space including a shopping centre similar to Harbour Town.

Earlier this year Salisbury Council endorsed a rezoning of the 20ha site on the corner of King and Main North roads in Salisbury South.

The project is expected to create up to 1600 ongoing jobs near Parafield Airport - in the retail, bulky goods, food and beverage, entertainment and service industries.

ISA’s agreement with Commercial & General is conditional on planning approvals for the complex, developer financing and ISA’s approval of the location of the indoor skydiving facility within the final design of the complex.

ISA opened its first indoor skydiving tunnel in Penrith at the start of this year and will open two more facilities on the Gold Coast and in Perth in the next two years.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: PRO : Parafield Entertainment Complex

#2 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:36 pm

This sounds great. I won't be living in Adelaide by the time it opens but I'm pleased to hear about it.

The Scooter Guy

#3 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:00 pm

ghs wrote:
ADELAIDE property developer Commercial & General has secured an indoor skydiving operator for its $180 million dollar shopping and entertainment precinct planned for Adelaide’s northern suburbs.

ASX-listed Indoor Skydive Australia (ISA) plans to open its fourth skydiving facility at the 20ha site, which will be named the Kings Point Shopping and Entertainment Complex.

ISA will finalise the design of the iFLY Adelaide structure and then operate it under a lease agreement with the developer, which will be entitled to returns linked to the facility’s turnover.

ISA chief executive Wayne Jones expects construction of the 12-foot vertical wind tunnel to kick off late next year before completion in November 2016.

“iFLY Adelaide provides the perfect opportunity for ISA Group to partner with a developer to

incorporate indoor skydiving facilities into a broader entertainment complex,” he said.

Kings Point will feature more than 20,000sqm of entertainment space including cinemas, water slides, an aqua playground, indoor surfing, tenpin bowling, laser skirmish, a games arcade, rock climbing and a massive indoor trampoline.

It will also offer around 64,000sqm of retail floor space including a shopping centre similar to Harbour Town.

Earlier this year Salisbury Council endorsed a rezoning of the 20ha site on the corner of King and Main North roads in Salisbury South.

The project is expected to create up to 1600 ongoing jobs near Parafield Airport - in the retail, bulky goods, food and beverage, entertainment and service industries.

ISA’s agreement with Commercial & General is conditional on planning approvals for the complex, developer financing and ISA’s approval of the location of the indoor skydiving facility within the final design of the complex.

ISA opened its first indoor skydiving tunnel in Penrith at the start of this year and will open two more facilities on the Gold Coast and in Perth in the next two years.
This is going to be AWESOME!!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:39 pm

From AdelaideNow:
Plans to build Adelaide’s second Beachouse in $180m entertainment complex at Salisbury South

Sarah Rohweder
Northern Messenger
January 07, 2015 12:27PM

A BEACHOUSE-style entertainment complex, similar to the one at Glenelg, is planned as part of an $180 million complex in Salisbury South.

The State Government has approved plans to rezone a 20ha site at the corner of Main North and Kings roads, to make way for Commercial & General’s planned entertainment and shopping centre.

Commercial & General managing director Jamie McClurg was reluctant to comment further on what the “beachouse” would include until a deal was signed off by its operator, likely to be in the next week.

Mr McClurg said construction of the $180m Kings Point Shopping and Entertainment Complex could begin as early as the middle of the year, depending on sign-offs by Salisbury Council.

He said he planned to lodge designs with the council “as soon as possible” in the coming months.

“We’ll probably start construction later on in the New Year, probably in the second half but that will depend on the tenants who we hope to engage at the start of (this) year,” Mr McClurg said.

Glenelg’s Beachouse features family entertainment including arcade games, mini golf, bumper boats, a ferris wheel, water slides, a carousel and cafe.

The wider Salisbury South complex will include water slides, a wave pool, indoor trampoline laser skirmish, tenpin bowling, a games arcade, rock climbing and a cinema.

It will also feature a major shopping centre with fashion shops and discount department stores.

“We have a lot of these type of facilities in the south of the state, but nothing in the north so having this entertainment precinct is going to be a great thing for the north,” Mr McClurg said.

ASX-listed Indoor Skydive Australia will open its fourth indoor skydiving centre at the site.

Salisbury Mayor Gillian Aldridge said the development would offer a number of employment opportunities to those affected by the closure of Holden’s Elizabeth plant in 2017.

“We are ready for the transformation of the northern Adelaide economy resulting from cessation of automotive manufacturing in Australia and developments that generate jobs will play a huge role in responding to the closure of Holden,” Ms Aldridge said.

“It is estimated that the precinct will generate approximately 1600 jobs upon completion, (which) would be varied across retail, food and beverage, entertainment and service industries.”

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: Parafield Entertainment Complex | $180 million

#5 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:15 pm

This sounds like a very positive move for Adelaide

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:42 pm

A BEACHOUSE-style entertainment complex, similar to the one at Glenelg, is planned as part of an $180 million complex in Salisbury South.

Hopefully something better than the Beachhouse. That place is so underwhelming.

metro
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by metro » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:37 pm

At least location-wise beach house is within a short stroll of a light-rail service and only 25min from the CBD and right on the beach, but I agree the beach house is really quite sh.t!

This centre sounds like it has some good stuff, but it's just in the wrong location. I think it should be next to Parafield Railway Station to provide easier access and increase useage of Adelaide's neglected rail system. Sadly the Main North Rd corner is all roads and cars, there are no footpaths, no public spaces, no safe cycleways, and only an hourly bus service :roll:

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

crawf wrote:

Hopefully something better than the Beachhouse. That place is so underwhelming.
Agreed. Hope it's much better than the Beachhouse, which is really a glorified arcade with some token water slides and a putt putt course a 5 year could score hole in ones on at least half the course.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 pm

metro wrote:At least location-wise beach house is within a short stroll of a light-rail service and only 25min from the CBD and right on the beach, but I agree the beach house is really quite sh.t!

This centre sounds like it has some good stuff, but it's just in the wrong location. I think it should be next to Parafield Railway Station to provide easier access and increase useage of Adelaide's neglected rail system. Sadly the Main North Rd corner is all roads and cars, there are no footpaths, no public spaces, no safe cycleways, and only an hourly bus service :roll:
You could walk from Parafield station. There's a shared cycle pedestrian path from the station to Dakota drive. Then we'd have to petition Salisbury council to put in a footpath east of Cross Keys rd on Kings road. I'm curious to know how much it's going to cost to try the skydiving? Not cheap I'd imagine:)
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 pm

http://www.indoorskydiveaustralia.com.au/

The cheapest option in Sydney is $89 which is reasonable. I am not sure how long you can spend flying with that
option.

I know it's a different experience but still it's cheaper then using the flight simulator in north adelaide
which charges something like $180 for half an hour.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:57 pm

That sounds comparable to the price of indoor skydiving in England.

It's probably not something most people would be able to afford on a frequent basis. More a one off or occasional treat.

Nort

#12 Post by Nort » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 pm

metro wrote:At least location-wise beach house is within a short stroll of a light-rail service and only 25min from the CBD and right on the beach, but I agree the beach house is really quite sh.t!

I don't think there is enough space next to the train line to accommodate it. Which is a shame, this is the sort of development that would really benefit from being right on the train line, or even having the station incorporated into the development. Increases security for people waiting for the train while also giving them better exposure.

With that not being possible though I'd say it's a good location.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Nort wrote:

I don't think there is enough space next to the train line to accommodate it. Which is a shame, this is the sort of development that would really benefit from being right on the train line, or even having the station incorporated into the development. Increases security for people waiting for the train while also giving them better exposure.

With that not being possible though I'd say it's a good location.
Its about a 15 Minute walk from the train station to the closest corner of the site. I hope Salisbury council put some money into upgrading the footpath along that route. Theres a Shared path from the station along Kings rd inside the airport property. I know I'd be okay with walking that distance, but others might not.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

vozdra
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by vozdra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:51 pm

A new $220m entertainment and shopping hub for Adelaide’s north is on its way, says the developer
January 21, 2016 1:50pm
Sarah RohwederNORTHERN MESSENGERNorthern Messenger
Subscriber Exclusive Icon
An artist’s impression of a wave machine, planned as part of the $220m development.

THE developer behind a $220 million entertainment and shopping complex in Salisbury South expects construction to start in the middle of this year, creating thousands of jobs.

APEX Property Solutions director Ian Brackenridge this week released more details about the much-anticipated Kings Point Shopping and Entertainment Centre, including plans for a virtual reality attraction where people can battle aliens in digital worlds.

Mr Brackenridge said the company had secured lease agreements with about 20 retailers, including Cafe Primo, Cotton On, Jeanswest and Flight Centre.
1 of 5

He has also secured deals with iFLY Indoor Skydiving, Hoyts Cinemas, Kingpin Indoor Bowling, Bounce Indoor Trampolines and The Beachouse, which already runs an amusement centre at Glenelg.

He said construction would take about 18 months, subject to development approval from Salisbury Council.

Among the attractions would be “The Void”, a virtual reality experience where people use headsets and body tracking systems to recreate battlefields, spaceships, city centres, military aircraft, ancient tombs, mountain peaks and fantasy lands.

“Kings Point will be a significant addition to the overall attraction of Adelaide as a shopping and entertainment destination,” Mr Brackenridge said.

“The opportunity to create something of tremendous value, not only for Salisbury, but for South Australia, and in particular the entertainment attractions for the community, is what excites me.”

The State Government approved plans to rezone a 20ha site at the corner of Kings and Main North roads to make way for the centre in December 2014.

Mr Brackenridge said the development would employ nearly 5000 workers — about 3000 during construction and about 1900 fulltime and casual jobs once complete — which was up from the original estimate of about 1600 positions.

He said the project would help ease the job losses at Holden’s Elizabeth plant when it closes next year.

“With the highest jobless rate in 15 years and the pending closure of automotive manufacturing, SA is faced with significant challenges in creating employment opportunities,” he said.

“Kings Point will create a substantial number of new jobs not only during the construction phase, but also permanent employment positions as a result of the proposed uses.”

The project was initially a joint venture between APEX and developer Commercial and General.

However, Mr Brackenridge said Commercial and General had pulled out of the plans, choosing to focus on other areas of its business such as the West Lakes housing development at Football Park.

Commercial and General did not respond to calls this week.

Mr Brackenridge said he was looking forward to working with national and international businesses to create a “a truly exciting” entertainment precinct.

Other attractions planned at the centre include an indoor skydiving simulator, bowling, arcade games, luxury cinema, giant indoor trampoline, HD golf simulator, go karts and a fitness centre.

It will also feature a $10 million “Beachouse-style” development, which will include a water park, replica beach and the state’s first “wave rider”, which allows people to surf indoors.

Other retailers include Rubi Shoes, Lovisa, Katies, Crossroads, City Chic, Supre, Factorie, Sportspower, Rivers, Millers, Typo, Essential Beauty, Priceline Pharmacy and Boost Juice.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Wish that had been built while I was living in Adelaide.