Glenelg | Developments & News

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 305 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#391 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Aidan wrote:How many stars has the existing hotel?
And by what criteria would a new one be six star? (Officially it only goes up to five)
Criteria for a six star hotel will be whatever the hotel wants as six stars will be self-rated, and thus, unofficial.

JonHarker
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#392 Post by JonHarker » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:28 am

Boost Glenelg? Get Taplin to lower the rents. So sad to see the slow death of Jetty Rd through greed...
Increase Partridge St carpark to a 1-2 mutilevel may help parking too, but can never see that getting up.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6391
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 860 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#393 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Greater Union have been secured as the tenant for the new Cinema which is expected to start construction next month.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#394 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Great news for the bay. Jetty Road needs a boast.

Will be interesting to see if this impacts their cinemas at Marion. Though Marion is massive and draws people from all over the state.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1476
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#395 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I notice that there's an old 2 storey house with scaffolding around it on Colley terrace. I assume
the building is being demolished, is this for that six level mansion which was proposed a couple of years
ago ?

It's a great site for a new development.

User avatar
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2484
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 820 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#396 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Was down at Glenelg for the first time in a few months - surprised at the number of empty shops along Jetty Road. What's going on?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

User avatar
Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:55 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Glenelg | Developments & News

#397 Post by Paulns » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 am

I got a haircut at this funky new place called the Boys Club Barbershop. Check it out on Sussex St, opposite the Cop shop. They've done a really good job fitting it out.
Note - I'm in no way connected to this business.
http://www.boysclubbarbershop.com/#/sussex-st/
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 193 times
Contact:

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#398 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:34 am

[Shuz] wrote:Was down at Glenelg for the first time in a few months - surprised at the number of empty shops along Jetty Road. What's going on?
Taplins' rent hikes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6391
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 860 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#399 Post by Ben » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:33 am

The cinema will start construction next week with the first screening scheduled for December 2015.

User avatar
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Adelaide / West
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Contact:

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#400 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:16 pm

I came across this by chance:

Glenelg’s Buffalo restaurant to be reinvented with outdoor bar, alfresco dining, kiosk — and a pontoon over the Patawalonga

John Stokes
Guardian Messenger
March 11, 2015
THE man who paid $1 for Glenelg’s old Buffalo restaurant has outlined his million-dollar plan to revamp the site, including adding a kiosk, outdoor bar and access via the Patawalonga river.
Story and video - Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nation ... 7258457828

# I've never eaten there, but would try the kiosk if built.

ghs
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1476
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 am
Location: Brighton
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#401 Post by ghs » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:07 pm

A MULTI-MILLION dollar plan to return Glenelg jetty to its former glory and build a boutique hotel on its end is expected to be released within two months.

Consultant Mott MacDonald last week gave Holdfast Bay councillors a private briefing on the proposal, which includes extending the jetty to build a hotel, a public pavilion and possibly a marine research centre.

Mayor Stephen Patterson said detailed plans were expected to be presented to the council in the next couple of months.

“It’s very exciting because we can see the benefit for not only Holdfast Bay but for the broader South Australian community as well,” Mr Patterson said.

“We’re trying to make a really unique place to visit, not just in Adelaide, but in Australia.”

Mr Patterson said the project would need private and public investment and input from all levels of government to succeed.

“It’s not something the council could take on by itself.

“Once we’ve got more of a business plan built around it we’ll give briefings to local MPs.”

He said it was too early to put a timeframe on the project but he expected it to be complete within 10 years.

The Jetty Road Mainstreet Committeekickstarted the project in February last year by hiring Mott MacDonald to “further develop concept plans for their Glenelg jetty proposal” at a cost of $35,000.

Mott MacDonald was the company responsible for the design and project management of the $450 million Adelaide Oval upgrade.

People walking out to the aquarium on the Glenelg jetty in 1936.
People walking out to the aquarium on the Glenelg jetty in 1936.
Committee chairman Mark Faulkner said last week the group was still “100 per cent committed” to the vision.
“There’s still a long way to go with it but so far we’re feeling really positive,” Mr Faulkner said.

“It’ll get even more tourists here and it’s a big idea that will make us the number one destination for a jetty/pier in Australia.

“It’s really being modelled on the old jetty … Mott MacDonald are using that as an inspiration point.”

The Glenelg jetty was destroyed by a storm in April, 1948.
The Glenelg jetty was destroyed by a storm in April, 1948.
The original jetty, built in the 1850s, was 381m long.
Over the years it had tea rooms, public baths, an aquarium, a police shed and a three-storey kiosk built on it and became a popular attraction.

It was destroyed in a freak storm in 1948 and the 215m jetty that stands today was built in 1969.

Glenelg Historical Society has run a Rebuild Glenelg Jetty Facebook page since 2012.

Society president Jan Smith said she would love to see the jetty redeveloped but was concerned about a private hotel being built and blocking jetty access to the public.

“In any proposal that came forward I think we have to look to the history of what the jetty once provided,” Mrs Smith said.

“It was a public space which had all of those facilities and people would make a weekend of coming down.”

State Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said the government was open to discussing a redevelopment of the jetty with the council.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#402 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Looks like Glenelg has a progressive council now... finally!
Seaplanes, boutique hotel, city baths and marine research centre in bold vision to transform Glenelg jetty
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 84?login=1
AMY MORAN GUARDIAN MESSENGER AUGUST 03, 2015 9:00PM SHARE

SEAPLANES would deliver cashed up tourists to the Bay and transport them to other beachside locations under a bold vision to transform Glenelg jetty.

The Jetty Rd Mainstreet Committee is driving the proposal to extend the jetty and return it to its heyday of the late-1800s and early-1900s.

It would include a boutique hotel, public pavilion for concerts, city baths, a marine research centre and docking area for seaplanes.

Holdfast Bay councillors last week voted to go halves with the committee on a $49,000 fly-through video of the proposal to send to potential investors, developers, the Federal and State Government.

Committee chairman Mark Faulkner said Glenelg was on the cusp of a major transformation.

“It is keeping in the theme of old Glenelg but bringing it into the future,” Mr Faulkner said.

“We would like to have seaplanes to pick people up and take them to other seaside locations or bring more visitors to Glenelg.”

Consultant Mott McDonald was commissioned last year to create a $35,000 concept plan for its revival.

The company, which was responsible for the design and project management of the $450 million Adelaide Oval upgrade, will also complete the video fly-through.

Holdfast Bay Mayor Stephen Patterson said the jetty revamp would be enhanced by other major developments, including the foreshore playground, new cinema and 12-storey hotel complex proposed for Adelphi Tce.

“In terms of the jetty proposal, the fly-over is really exciting because it will help us promote the idea to the state and federal governments, as well as investors in Australia and overseas,” Mr Patterson said.

“It’s also promoting Holdfast Bay at the same time.”

He said the proposal also complimented the council’s plan to introduce more green space, update shopfronts and widen footpaths on Jetty Rd.

“We’re ahead of the game because we’re creating these open spaces, which is preparing for that further development.”

Long-time Glenelg developer Andrew Taplin, who is building the new Greater Union complex on Partridge St, said it was a great time to be part of the community as a resident, investor or shop owner.

“Now we have a progressive council that is thinking longer term and we’ve got a State Government that has potential of freeing up some of the zoning,” Mr Taplin said.

“When you invest in infrastructure people come and places are turned around.

“We would have to see if the projects currently mooted get up but any development at Glenelg is good for our local community, for the tourists and it’s good for the state.”
Look forward to seeing the video and eventually some of these ideas turned into a reality. I love the jetty proposal... though, not sure about seaplanes landing in Holdfast Bay?.

Still, positive times ahead for Glenelg.

Patrick_27
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1495
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#403 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:55 pm

crawf wrote:Looks like Glenelg has a progressive council now... finally!
Seaplanes, boutique hotel, city baths and marine research centre in bold vision to transform Glenelg jetty
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 84?login=1
AMY MORAN GUARDIAN MESSENGER AUGUST 03, 2015 9:00PM SHARE

SEAPLANES would deliver cashed up tourists to the Bay and transport them to other beachside locations under a bold vision to transform Glenelg jetty.

The Jetty Rd Mainstreet Committee is driving the proposal to extend the jetty and return it to its heyday of the late-1800s and early-1900s.

It would include a boutique hotel, public pavilion for concerts, city baths, a marine research centre and docking area for seaplanes.

Holdfast Bay councillors last week voted to go halves with the committee on a $49,000 fly-through video of the proposal to send to potential investors, developers, the Federal and State Government.

Committee chairman Mark Faulkner said Glenelg was on the cusp of a major transformation.

“It is keeping in the theme of old Glenelg but bringing it into the future,” Mr Faulkner said.

“We would like to have seaplanes to pick people up and take them to other seaside locations or bring more visitors to Glenelg.”

Consultant Mott McDonald was commissioned last year to create a $35,000 concept plan for its revival.

The company, which was responsible for the design and project management of the $450 million Adelaide Oval upgrade, will also complete the video fly-through.

Holdfast Bay Mayor Stephen Patterson said the jetty revamp would be enhanced by other major developments, including the foreshore playground, new cinema and 12-storey hotel complex proposed for Adelphi Tce.

“In terms of the jetty proposal, the fly-over is really exciting because it will help us promote the idea to the state and federal governments, as well as investors in Australia and overseas,” Mr Patterson said.

“It’s also promoting Holdfast Bay at the same time.”

He said the proposal also complimented the council’s plan to introduce more green space, update shopfronts and widen footpaths on Jetty Rd.

“We’re ahead of the game because we’re creating these open spaces, which is preparing for that further development.”

Long-time Glenelg developer Andrew Taplin, who is building the new Greater Union complex on Partridge St, said it was a great time to be part of the community as a resident, investor or shop owner.

“Now we have a progressive council that is thinking longer term and we’ve got a State Government that has potential of freeing up some of the zoning,” Mr Taplin said.

“When you invest in infrastructure people come and places are turned around.

“We would have to see if the projects currently mooted get up but any development at Glenelg is good for our local community, for the tourists and it’s good for the state.”
Look forward to seeing the video and eventually some of these ideas turned into a reality. I love the jetty proposal... though, not sure about seaplanes landing in Holdfast Bay?.

Still, positive times ahead for Glenelg.
Absolutely none of these ideas will improve the lack of people visiting Glenelg during the cooler months, the same goes for Taplin's cinema at Glenelg. All that will happen is these new business ventures will come to the area and they'll flop really bad.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#404 Post by claybro » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:24 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Absolutely none of these ideas will improve the lack of people visiting Glenelg during the cooler months, the same goes for Taplin's cinema at Glenelg. All that will happen is these new business ventures will come to the area and they'll flop really bad.
Partly true, but you can't knock them for a big vision. There are not enough bold plans in Adelaide. Lets start a bit simpler though. As has been mentioned on this forum many times, a DECENT pier type jetty with cafes and shops, the odd side show and a ferry terminal. Time and time again we are told Kangaroo Island is the must see SA attraction of international tourists, so build the damn pier ,and get a ferry to KI already, instead of bussing tourists down the goat track to Cape Jervis, or wherever it leaves from these days. This would immediately boost tourists in the Glenelg area.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 165 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Glenelg | Developments & News

#405 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Absolutely none of these ideas will improve the lack of people visiting Glenelg during the cooler months, the same goes for Taplin's cinema at Glenelg. All that will happen is these new business ventures will come to the area and they'll flop really bad.
At least the council is finally showing some vision and bold ideas... compared to the previous council that seemed hell bent transforming Glenelg back into the 1920s. I cannot remember a councilor from the Holdfast Council ever being supportive of a building over 5 stories or anything remotely progressive.

Glenelg is always going to draw less people during winter due to being a seasonal attraction, although I was down at Glenelg on the weekend and there is a decent amount of people down there despite the weather being extremely cold and windy.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests