[APP] Glenelg - Lustro Hotel & Apartments - 14 levels - 47m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Glenelg - Lustro Hotel & Apartments - 14 levels - 47m

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Stumbled upon this. Not much specific information but sounds like it will be large.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/housing-pr ... evelopment

Adelphi Terrace, Glenelg - Integrated Hotel Development

The proposal

The proposal can be generally described as an integrated hotel development comprising a range of one and two bedroom hotel suites, as well as townhouses, apartments and penthouses to be available to the open market, together with a function centre, outdoor recreation deck, cafe and bar, and associated car parking and infrastructure. For the purposes of the declaration, the proposal includes:
•the construction of a building within the site for one or more of the following purposes: ◦residential accommodation
◦tourist accommodation
◦retail premises
◦commercial premises
◦function centre

•the demolition of any existing buildings within the site
•the undertaking of works for the purposes of, or otherwise related to; roads, stormwater and effluent treatment in connection with the development whether undertaken within the site or on other adjacent land
•a change in the use of land associated with any development listed above
•the division of an allotment associated with any development listed above
•any related or ancillary development associated with development listed above.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Re: Adelphi Terrace, Glenelg - Integrated Hotel Development

#2 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:01 pm

site of the old Buffalo Ship restaurant?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Wayno wrote:site of the old Buffalo Ship restaurant?
Nope I believe its the site where there is a motel now. Just up form the Watermark.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:17 am

Ben wrote:
Wayno wrote:site of the old Buffalo Ship restaurant?
Nope I believe its the site where there is a motel now. Just up form the Watermark.
Got it. The old Comfort Inn.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:06 pm

This is before DAC this Thursday but is listed as "confidential" and therefore no supporting documents uploaded. Maybe it's a preliminary assessment as I fail to see how it would be democratic otherwise.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:12 pm

From news.com.au
Bruno Marveggio reveals his plans to demolish Glenelg’s Comfort Inn to build 12-storey, $110m hotel

A 12-STOREY hotel complex with apartments, shops, a gym and a function centre is planned for the Bay.
adelphi-tce-1.jpg
adelphi-tce-1.jpg (42.29 KiB) Viewed 13304 times
adelphi-tce-2.jpg
adelphi-tce-2.jpg (58.14 KiB) Viewed 13304 times
The $110 million redevelopment of the two-storey Comfort Inn on Adelphi Tce would be the biggest accommodation project in Glenelg since Liberty Towers went up more than a decade ago.

Developer Bruno Marveggio, who bought the Comfort Inn 15 years ago and is part owner of Adelaide United, said Glenelg was crying out for more tourism options.

“(The Comfort Inn) needed more than a facelift, and the whole Glenelg area needs an injection of life,” Mr Marveggio said. “We’ve got to start to promote our jewels to Australia and the world — Glenelg is one of those jewels.”

The complex — dubbed Marina Regency — would be one of the area’s tallest buildings, alongside Aquarius apartment tower on Adelphi Tce and Atlantic Tower on Anzac Highway.

Mr Marveggio hopes to secure approval for the development this year and build it by 2018.

“The (Comfort Inn) building is old and tired, and it was a case of having to do something,” Mr Marveggio said.

“I had to decide whether to spend a lot of money and renovate the rooms and still only have 70 (rooms), or start again.”

The complex would be made up of 60 per cent hotel accommodation, including about 140 rooms.

There would also be apartments and penthouses available to buy.

Mr Marveggio said the redevelopment would create 200 jobs in the construction phase and increase the Comfort Inn’s permanent staff from about 30 to 65 people.

“It would employ South Australians, I want to create more jobs in this state,” he said.

Mr Marveggio met with the state’s planning body, the Development Assessment Commission, last month to discuss guidelines for the project behind closed doors.

He said the guidelines were being worked through and he was willing to work with the State Government, Holdfast Bay Council and the community.

He said considerable work had been done on the project’s designs to limit overshadowing on Sturt St.

“I’m not a guy who finds a parcel of land, just coming in to build and then going again,” Mr Marveggio said.

“I’ve been here for 15 years and I’m not going away.”

The Comfort Inn would be demolished in the first stage of the 20-month build.

The State Government in May announced the second stage of its inner metropolitan growth project, including plans to allow buildings over 10 storeys on the foreshore, Adelphi Tce, Anzac Highway, Jetty Rd and Pier St.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:13 pm

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 pm

yawn, another boring proposal.

Is it the architects fault, or the developers fault?
How does it all work? For example, if I was a developer, do I go out to an architect/engineering firm, and say I've got a budget of $100 million I want to spend on this block/address, design me something suitable? Are architects given creative freedom, or do developers give them a brief of what they want?

Either way beat them all over the head with a giant crayon.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:05 pm

I like it, looks good. The horizontal lines do well to exaggerate the size of the project.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Imagine living in the other side. Instantly lost half their value.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by ghs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Looks pretty wide - I am sure there will be NIMBY's down there that won't like it.

Another couple of bars / nightclubs would be good for Glenelg I think. Hopefully they
will be included in the hotel.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:39 pm

Ben wrote:Imagine living in the other side. Instantly lost half their value.
How? There's already a 12 story building across the street so the properties are already overlooked, and there's no views lost, the houses behind are mainly single story.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:20 pm

It's a little bit 80s, but I kind of like it...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:
How? There's already a 12 story building across the street so the properties are already overlooked, and there's no views lost, the houses behind are mainly single story.

Exactly single story. Imagine going from having a 2 story building behind you to a 12 storey. Literally behind your backyard. It's a monster of a building. I think they could have broken it up a bit. I'm hoping it's just a concept image and not the final design. I think it would look better in 2 towers. Maybe a 15 storey and an 8. Same amount of apartments.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm

People that live in places like Glenelg, the CBD and North Adelaide, should factor in the possibility of high-rise buildings going up.