[COM] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel | 6 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#31 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Phantom wrote: The thing is, while more buildings of height COULD be placed nearby, to make this one not stick out like dog's balls, that's not something that is confirmed or even proposed... Or even talked about! There's no other business to my knowledge that is currently looking to increase the height of The Parade with a similar project. As Patrick said, there's no proof of demand... The lack of similar proposals probably proves the opposite, if anything.
There are a number of projects in various stages such as the 6 level here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5433

the 6 level Peregrine redevelopment and a number of others that are in planning stages.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Phantom wrote:The thing is, while more buildings of height COULD be placed nearby, to make this one not stick out like dog's balls, that's not something that is confirmed or even proposed... Or even talked about! There's no other business to my knowledge that is currently looking to increase the height of The Parade with a similar project. As Patrick said, there's no proof of demand... The lack of similar proposals probably proves the opposite, if anything.
Except there is. There's the Coles development (which although it's been scaled back, qualifies as "proposed" and "talked about"), and the Nuova apartments which are very close to this proposal and currently on sale off the plan.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm of the mind that as with everything, someone has to go first, and typically gets branded as a splitter.

I think the biggest problem that Norwood has isn't population related. It's through-traffic. That will be resolved with light-rail that can only really be cost-justified after the population increases - which requires multiple high rise developments in the Parade district.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Torrens_5022 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:13 pm

The development will have to be a certain distance from any boundaries, the adjoining properties to the development are a single story unit block to the rear circa 1960s and 2 to 4 attached cottages which already back onto the hotel carpark - I don't see the issue - the location is good and minimal neighbouring properties
Look at the satellite view - https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.921 ... a=!3m1!1e3 - This is Adelaide, all developments are going to be scrutinised, which is good to a point - this is the first of many for the Parade and as long as the buildings are set back from the property line - there is no issues

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#35 Post by rev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Will wrote:Similar developments in similar areas interstate seem to work. Why do you think Norwood is different?
Because Adelaide? :sly:

Waewick

#36 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:41 am

so won't the perceived lack of demand be solved once this thing sells out?

i woukd have thought the rampant density contraction in Norwood over the last two decades pointed to this kind of development.

I'm suprised its taken so long.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by SRW » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:47 am

I don't know why anyone's surprised here, given the planning law changes were supposed to give rise to exactly this type of development on our high streets. And living around Norwood myself, I'd far rather see density concentrated into such apartment buildings than see beautiful homes/properties subdivided or redeveloped into duplexes/townhouses as elsewhere.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Wayno » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:02 am

SRW wrote:And living around Norwood myself, I'd far rather see density concentrated into such apartment buildings than see beautiful homes/properties subdivided or redeveloped into duplexes/townhouses as elsewhere.
Spot on SRW, You've won quote of the month!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Phantom » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Phantom wrote:The thing is, while more buildings of height COULD be placed nearby, to make this one not stick out like dog's balls, that's not something that is confirmed or even proposed... Or even talked about! There's no other business to my knowledge that is currently looking to increase the height of The Parade with a similar project. As Patrick said, there's no proof of demand... The lack of similar proposals probably proves the opposite, if anything.
Except there is. There's the Coles development (which although it's been scaled back, qualifies as "proposed" and "talked about"), and the Nuova apartments which are very close to this proposal and currently on sale off the plan.
I don't care if they upgrade the Coles into something better (not a massive fan of their proposal, but I'm definitely not saying no to them making a shopping centre there). Those Nuova apartments, I've never seen before. Again though, I reckon 6 levels might be a bit much for the area. I'd like to see buildings consistently at about 3 levels before something double that height would work. At the moment, I can't imagine it matching the rest of The Parade's high street feel anytime in the near future.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

PeFe

#40 Post by PeFe » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:01 pm

The Parade isn't really a very "high" street..........(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:49 pm

PeFe wrote:The Parade isn't really a very "high" street..........(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#42 Post by RoiMartel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am

Wayno wrote:
SRW wrote:And living around Norwood myself, I'd far rather see density concentrated into such apartment buildings than see beautiful homes/properties subdivided or redeveloped into duplexes/townhouses as elsewhere.
Spot on SRW, You've won quote of the month!
I also live in Norwood and yes I agree, agree, agree.

RoiMartel
Gold-Member ;)

#43 Post by RoiMartel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:40 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Phantom wrote:As someone who lives in Norwood, God damn will this stand out like dog's balls...

I mean, I'm all for progress, but something that high will look out of place with what else is around in comparison.
It will stand out until another taller building pops up, something needs to be first
Exactly! People hate change, ( especially here in Adelaide ) but this type of development is great for Norwood. Apart from the 2 proposed developments at the eastern end of the parade, there is room for atleast 5-8 more along the length of the parade IMO. And with the return of light-rail along the parade, I see Norwood's future as bright, bustling and a perfect site for such developments. A lot of people want to live in an apartment, but why should the CBD be their only choice. This is good, sound progress.
' Don't be afraid of change,
be afraid of NOT changing.'
Albert Einstien

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by omada » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Yep the above comments are spot on.

Norwood, as it stands, is pretty vanilla (I work off the Parade), but with higher density and the associated inflow of younger people & people below 80 and the tram, I feel it could become a nice hub of bars, shops etc.

Ho Really

#45 Post by Ho Really » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:30 pm

If there was a choice I'd rather see neither. Why? Because eventually when people start to wise up they'll understand why a home on a quarter acre block is the best solution. It's not so much the privacy, but the garden and what you can do with it. We are starting to realise (only now) how important it is to return to old-fashioned ways of living. The healthy way. I won't ramble on here. You all know what I mean.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.