[U/C] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel | 6 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
slenderman
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:44 am
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 213 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#16 Post by slenderman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Don't live in Norwood but close by and I visit fairly often. I'm kind of inclined to agree with Phantom/Ho Really.

Fair game criticising people who live in the CBD for opposing anything over four storeys, but this is the suburbs (where those that oppose CBD high rise are told to move). I'm fairly sure the building at the back will be right next to someone's back fence. We still have a huge amount of space in the CBD where this sort of development can occur.

It's not quite analogous to compare this to something like West Lakes/St Clair where there's a wide road separating the developments from nearby housing and rail transport already exists. As others have said, it's important to consider the land use/history of the area.

That said, I can see the positives. It's reasonably good looking, should help create demand for a future tram and boost businesses/vibrancy there, but I think this development should probably be the maximum height in this area. Keeps a bit of human scale to the area which the Norwood Parade is all about with its restaurants and retail.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 203 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#17 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:02 pm

slenderman wrote:Don't live in Norwood but close by and I visit fairly often. I'm kind of inclined to agree with Phantom/Ho Really.

Fair game criticising people who live in the CBD for opposing anything over four storeys, but this is the suburbs (where those that oppose CBD high rise are told to move). I'm fairly sure the building at the back will be right next to someone's back fence. We still have a huge amount of space in the CBD where this sort of development can occur.

It's not quite analogous to compare this to something like West Lakes/St Clair where there's a wide road separating the developments from nearby housing and rail transport already exists. As others have said, it's important to consider the land use/history of the area.

That said, I can see the positives. It's reasonably good looking, should help create demand for a future tram and boost businesses/vibrancy there, but I think this development should probably be the maximum height in this area. Keeps a bit of human scale to the area which the Norwood Parade is all about with its restaurants and retail.
Thank you, slenderman!

My thoughts exactly, though I haven't dared raise my concerns in fear of being called a NIMBY.

How about we focus on the CBD first before branching out into the suburbs, I can count a heap of city sites that are under-utilised.

User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Has thanked: 192 times
Been thanked: 288 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#18 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:32 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
slenderman wrote:Don't live in Norwood but close by and I visit fairly often. I'm kind of inclined to agree with Phantom/Ho Really.

Fair game criticising people who live in the CBD for opposing anything over four storeys, but this is the suburbs (where those that oppose CBD high rise are told to move). I'm fairly sure the building at the back will be right next to someone's back fence. We still have a huge amount of space in the CBD where this sort of development can occur.

It's not quite analogous to compare this to something like West Lakes/St Clair where there's a wide road separating the developments from nearby housing and rail transport already exists. As others have said, it's important to consider the land use/history of the area.

That said, I can see the positives. It's reasonably good looking, should help create demand for a future tram and boost businesses/vibrancy there, but I think this development should probably be the maximum height in this area. Keeps a bit of human scale to the area which the Norwood Parade is all about with its restaurants and retail.
Thank you, slenderman!

My thoughts exactly, though I haven't dared raise my concerns in fear of being called a NIMBY.

How about we focus on the CBD first before branching out into the suburbs, I can count a heap of city sites that are under-utilised.
I ain't saying nothin' .... ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3459
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 130 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#19 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:37 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
slenderman wrote:Don't live in Norwood but close by and I visit fairly often. I'm kind of inclined to agree with Phantom/Ho Really.

Fair game criticising people who live in the CBD for opposing anything over four storeys, but this is the suburbs (where those that oppose CBD high rise are told to move). I'm fairly sure the building at the back will be right next to someone's back fence. We still have a huge amount of space in the CBD where this sort of development can occur.

It's not quite analogous to compare this to something like West Lakes/St Clair where there's a wide road separating the developments from nearby housing and rail transport already exists. As others have said, it's important to consider the land use/history of the area.

That said, I can see the positives. It's reasonably good looking, should help create demand for a future tram and boost businesses/vibrancy there, but I think this development should probably be the maximum height in this area. Keeps a bit of human scale to the area which the Norwood Parade is all about with its restaurants and retail.
Thank you, slenderman!

My thoughts exactly, though I haven't dared raise my concerns in fear of being called a NIMBY.

How about we focus on the CBD first before branching out into the suburbs, I can count a heap of city sites that are under-utilised.
because people might want to live in Norwood and not the cbd?

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3118
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 608 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#20 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:50 am

I've got no problem with some inner suburb areas increasing density and height at the same time as the CBD. With an existing high street, Norwood should be one of them. Let's not manufacture an idea that apartment living is only a means to live in the city.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 72 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#21 Post by Jaymz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:29 am

Nathan wrote:I've got no problem with some inner suburb areas increasing density and height at the same time as the CBD. With an existing high street, Norwood should be one of them. Let's not manufacture an idea that apartment living is only a means to live in the city.

Exactly. Inner city areas should not just be limited to the wealthy and elite. Apartment living gives people from all backgrounds and age groups
the chance to live in areas which would otherwise would be too expensive. Younger people of course find the idea of the cosmopolitan lifestyle
very appealing, and an appropriately priced 1 or 2 bedroom property is a realistic way for first homebuyers to break into the property market.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 203 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#22 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Waewick wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:
slenderman wrote:Don't live in Norwood but close by and I visit fairly often. I'm kind of inclined to agree with Phantom/Ho Really.

Fair game criticising people who live in the CBD for opposing anything over four storeys, but this is the suburbs (where those that oppose CBD high rise are told to move). I'm fairly sure the building at the back will be right next to someone's back fence. We still have a huge amount of space in the CBD where this sort of development can occur.

It's not quite analogous to compare this to something like West Lakes/St Clair where there's a wide road separating the developments from nearby housing and rail transport already exists. As others have said, it's important to consider the land use/history of the area.

That said, I can see the positives. It's reasonably good looking, should help create demand for a future tram and boost businesses/vibrancy there, but I think this development should probably be the maximum height in this area. Keeps a bit of human scale to the area which the Norwood Parade is all about with its restaurants and retail.
Thank you, slenderman!

My thoughts exactly, though I haven't dared raise my concerns in fear of being called a NIMBY.

How about we focus on the CBD first before branching out into the suburbs, I can count a heap of city sites that are under-utilised.
because people might want to live in Norwood and not the cbd?
So buy or rent one of the many small properties that are always available...

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 203 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#23 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:18 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Nathan wrote:I've got no problem with some inner suburb areas increasing density and height at the same time as the CBD. With an existing high street, Norwood should be one of them. Let's not manufacture an idea that apartment living is only a means to live in the city.

Exactly. Inner city areas should not just be limited to the wealthy and elite. Apartment living gives people from all backgrounds and age groups
the chance to live in areas which would otherwise would be too expensive. Younger people of course find the idea of the cosmopolitan lifestyle
very appealing, and an appropriately priced 1 or 2 bedroom property is a realistic way for first homebuyers to break into the property market.
Since when was Norwood limited to the 'wealthy and elite'? If you think for a second that these apartments are going to be priced for everyday people who want to buy something reasonably priced in the area, you're off with the fairies. There is no doubt they will be selling these at the higher end of the scale. If younger people want to buy into the area, there are plenty of 1/2 bedroom cottages either available for rent or purchase.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 72 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#24 Post by Jaymz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 pm

Now remember, I did say "inner city", and never said Norwood in particular, but yes of course that would be included. I was more
generalising, and thinking of anything east, inner south and North Adelaide to start. Any yep, agreed, these particular apartments
will more than likely be on the expensive side.......... i'm talking about future affordable projects......... Bowden is a good
example and there's no reason it can't be done in other areas close to the CBD.

Anyways back on topic for the thread, this has just been reported in the Advertiser as having been approved, and construction to begin
next April.
Last edited by Jaymz on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6691
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 1058 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#25 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 pm

That is classic NIMBY whether you agree or not. "I like buildings and development as long as it's not near me or my house" lol unfortunately in regards to your ridiculous comment of why don't people just pick one of the houses that are "always available". The market dictates what is required based upon what people want and what there is already existing. What is there currently is obviously not the same as what people want there (housing wise).

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 203 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#26 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Ben wrote:That is classic NIMBY whether you agree or not. "I like buildings and development as long as it's not near me or my house" lol unfortunately in regards to your ridiculous comment of why don't people just pick one of the houses that are "always available". The market dictates what is required based upon what people want and what there is already existing. What is there currently is obviously not the same as what people want there (housing wise).
No, I am going to disagree because the term is not applicable to my opinion on the matter. I live within the CBD grid, however I grew up in the Norwood area.

Unlike some of you on here, I'm not going to sit here and agree with every development because it's increasing the average height and density of an area, even if this is development forum. If you guys can be picky about a building's design elements without any experience in the architectural field, why can't I (a person who has previous lived in the Norwood area) oppose a development without being branded something which I consider to be quite offensive.

You're making the assumption that people want this kind of living in that area, how would you know? It's the first of it's kind for The Parade and there is nothing to measure off in terms of demand. This is merely land owners and developers taking up on an opportunity provided to them by the state government and personally I hope it fails them.

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 53 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#27 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Ben wrote:That is classic NIMBY whether you agree or not. "I like buildings and development as long as it's not near me or my house" lol unfortunately in regards to your ridiculous comment of why don't people just pick one of the houses that are "always available". The market dictates what is required based upon what people want and what there is already existing. What is there currently is obviously not the same as what people want there (housing wise).
No, I am going to disagree because the term is not applicable to my opinion on the matter. I live within the CBD grid, however I grew up in the Norwood area.

Unlike some of you on here, I'm not going to sit here and agree with every development because it's increasing the average height and density of an area, even if this is development forum. If you guys can be picky about a building's design elements without any experience in the architectural field, why can't I (a person who has previous lived in the Norwood area) oppose a development without being branded something which I consider to be quite offensive.

You're making the assumption that people want this kind of living in that area, how would you know? It's the first of it's kind for The Parade and there is nothing to measure off in terms of demand. This is merely land owners and developers taking up on an opportunity provided to them by the state government and personally I hope it fails them.
Arguably people DO want this kind of development within the Norwood area, otherwise it wouldn't have been proposed. Whether those who want this development are the same people that currently live there/have lived there is debatable.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6691
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 262 times
Been thanked: 1058 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#28 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:42 am

If as you suggest people do not want to live in this type of development, it will not sell and subsequently will not get built, however based on first week sales this one is almost certain to go ahead and go ahead soon (April).

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5527
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 575 times
Been thanked: 150 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#29 Post by Will » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Ben wrote:That is classic NIMBY whether you agree or not. "I like buildings and development as long as it's not near me or my house" lol unfortunately in regards to your ridiculous comment of why don't people just pick one of the houses that are "always available". The market dictates what is required based upon what people want and what there is already existing. What is there currently is obviously not the same as what people want there (housing wise).
No, I am going to disagree because the term is not applicable to my opinion on the matter. I live within the CBD grid, however I grew up in the Norwood area.

Unlike some of you on here, I'm not going to sit here and agree with every development because it's increasing the average height and density of an area, even if this is development forum. If you guys can be picky about a building's design elements without any experience in the architectural field, why can't I (a person who has previous lived in the Norwood area) oppose a development without being branded something which I consider to be quite offensive.

You're making the assumption that people want this kind of living in that area, how would you know? It's the first of it's kind for The Parade and there is nothing to measure off in terms of demand. This is merely land owners and developers taking up on an opportunity provided to them by the state government and personally I hope it fails them.
Similar developments in similar areas interstate seem to work. Why do you think Norwood is different?

User avatar
Phantom
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 434
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:49 pm
Location: Norwizzle, fo' shizzle.
Been thanked: 15 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#30 Post by Phantom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:No, I am going to disagree because the term is not applicable to my opinion on the matter. I live within the CBD grid, however I grew up in the Norwood area.

Unlike some of you on here, I'm not going to sit here and agree with every development because it's increasing the average height and density of an area, even if this is development forum. If you guys can be picky about a building's design elements without any experience in the architectural field, why can't I (a person who has previous lived in the Norwood area) oppose a development without being branded something which I consider to be quite offensive.

You're making the assumption that people want this kind of living in that area, how would you know? It's the first of it's kind for The Parade and there is nothing to measure off in terms of demand. This is merely land owners and developers taking up on an opportunity provided to them by the state government and personally I hope it fails them.
I'm with Patrick on this one.

I'm one of the most supportive people when it comes to something being built and a higher skyline, and as someone who LIVES in Norwood, I'm sure you'll all just give off the NIMBY tag.

The thing is, while more buildings of height COULD be placed nearby, to make this one not stick out like dog's balls, that's not something that is confirmed or even proposed... Or even talked about! There's no other business to my knowledge that is currently looking to increase the height of The Parade with a similar project. As Patrick said, there's no proof of demand... The lack of similar proposals probably proves the opposite, if anything.

The Parade gives off that small country town feel, but with traffic. Buildings like this will quite possibly be a detriment to the character of the area. This wouldn't be so bad if Norwood were further than 4km from the CBD... But, it's not. Norwood is what it is.

I just see it causing more problems than it's worth.

Of course, when you're a business, you don't give a shit about problems, provided that it makes you money...
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests