[U/C] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel | 6 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2097
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 417 times
Been thanked: 54 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#46 Post by Ho Really » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:37 pm

RoiMartel wrote:Exactly! People hate change, ( especially here in Adelaide ) but this type of development is great for Norwood. Apart from the 2 proposed developments at the eastern end of the parade, there is room for atleast 5-8 more along the length of the parade IMO. And with the return of light-rail along the parade, I see Norwood's future as bright, bustling and a perfect site for such developments. A lot of people want to live in an apartment, but why should the CBD be their only choice. This is good, sound progress.
and…
omada wrote:Yep the above comments are spot on. Norwood, as it stands, is pretty vanilla (I work off the Parade), but with higher density and the associated inflow of younger people & people below 80 and the tram, I feel it could become a nice hub of bars, shops etc.
It's not that people hate change...or progress (whatever that is). People hate it when it affects their lifestyle and wellbeing. Many who live in Norwood would rather see it stay as is. I'll bet most have worked hard all their lives, paid off their homes and now want to enjoy their fruits. If you were one of them would you like a 5~6 storey apartment peer over your fence? That's the issue. It's not about vibrancy, bars, cafes, trams, young people, etc. If people can't have their peace they'll say stuff the vibrancy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against apartments being built in Norwood. If they were to be built, they would need be well thought out and built only in the right places. The Bath may well be one of those as it is mostly car park. The other development close to Portrush Road (Nuova) is also well placed. The others who knows. Along the Parade there are a few allotments where these could be built without too many issues. Hopefully they would be combined with retail and commercial spaces. Most importantly though, they would need to leave room between their developments and peoples' private properties.

One issue many seem to forget is when you build up the population you also need better traffic management. Not everyone will walk, ride a bike, catch a bus (or a tram). Many will want their own car. They will need off street parking (which will probably be incorporated in the development itself) as well as on street parking. They will also need viable streets that are not choked up alleyways.

If Adelaide had cheap public transport you'd have more density. We do have a reasonable PT but unfortunately it’s not cheap. So taking the private car out of the equation will not work. Australian cities are not like our counterparts in Europe...and never will be. This is a notion many here need to understand. The transition from single storey homes on quarter acre blocks to highrise apartments won’t be simple. It will cause many issues. In some cases not beneficial. I hope we can mix it well enough though, so that we will not ruin what we already have.

Cheers

P.S. RoiMartel is an interesting moniker. Martel was never a king. Maybe he should’ve been.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 am
Been thanked: 10 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#47 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:49 am

Cheaper public transport would be good, like have a cap on the Metrocard say like $8 a day for full fare, another bigger issue is more regular services, trams will fix this, people prefer trams over buses, buses are seen as unreliable.
Norwood has 5800 people (2011 census), this complex has 55 apartments? - so say 100 people, say 10 apartment complexes are built with 550 apartments, 1000 people.
Adelaide needs to grow via infill, there are plenty of brownfield sites around, Norwood has plenty of areas where apartments can be built, the inner west on the other hand has vastly more.

User avatar
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 656
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:03 am
Location: Eden Hills
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#48 Post by omada » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:55 am

I understand your point Ho Really, but Australian cities have a lamentable population density, comparable to American cities, big sprawling places, reliant on the automobile.

We should aim for European type cities, with high population density, quality public spaces and excellent public transport. The village of Norwood, with a great, vibrant main street, are perfect for hubs of apartments and PT. Unfortunately, there may be some losers in the process, but we must think big picture here, suburban sprawl is not acceptable.

Ho Really said:
It's not that people hate change...or progress (whatever that is). People hate it when it affects their lifestyle and wellbeing. Many who live in Norwood would rather see it stay as is. I'll bet most have worked hard all their lives, paid off their homes and now want to enjoy their fruits. If you were one of them would you like a 5~6 storey apartment peer over your fence? That's the issue. It's not about vibrancy, bars, cafes, trams, young people, etc. If people can't have their peace they'll say stuff the vibrancy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against apartments being built in Norwood. If they were to be built, they would need be well thought out and built only in the right places. The Bath may well be one of those as it is mostly car park. The other development close to Portrush Road (Nuova) is also well placed. The others who knows. Along the Parade there are a few allotments where these could be built without too many issues. Hopefully they would be combined with retail and commercial spaces. Most importantly though, they would need to leave room between their developments and peoples' private properties.

One issue many seem to forget is when you build up the population you also need better traffic management. Not everyone will walk, ride a bike, catch a bus (or a tram). Many will want their own car. They will need off street parking (which will probably be incorporated in the development itself) as well as on street parking. They will also need viable streets that are not choked up alleyways.

If Adelaide had cheap public transport you'd have more density. We do have a reasonable PT but unfortunately it’s not cheap. So taking the private car out of the equation will not work. Australian cities are not like our counterparts in Europe...and never will be. This is a notion many here need to understand. The transition from single storey homes on quarter acre blocks to highrise apartments won’t be simple. It will cause many issues. In some cases not beneficial. I hope we can mix it well enough though, so that we will not ruin what we already have.

Cheers

User avatar
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 12:23 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 17 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#49 Post by fishinajar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:53 am

Ho Really wrote:If there was a choice...

Blimp
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 18 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#50 Post by Blimp » Tue May 31, 2016 1:15 pm

I noticed the other day that the site adjacent the apartment showrooms (apart of the development site) had been fenced off and the building had been stripped down to its frame. Could potentially be some early demolition works? Wasn't able to get a picture unfortunately.

urban
Legendary Member!
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:59 am
Location: City of Unley
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#51 Post by urban » Tue May 31, 2016 1:44 pm

A tree fell on the building in the recent storms. It took out the verandah and a parked car.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 36 times
Been thanked: 18 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#52 Post by Blimp » Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 pm

urban wrote:A tree fell on the building in the recent storms. It took out the verandah and a parked car.
Ah ofcourse, forgot about that!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 927 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#53 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Tenders for this in today's paper.

Dvious
Legendary Member!
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#54 Post by Dvious » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 am

Looks to be some early demolition work going on to the three stores next to base (next to bath), is that part of this site?

Allkai
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:59 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 35 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#55 Post by Allkai » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:53 am

Dvious wrote:Looks to be some early demolition work going on to the three stores next to base (next to bath), is that part of this site?
I think what you're seeing is the after-effects of the storm damage mentioned ^^.........

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6480
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 232 times
Been thanked: 927 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#56 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Pretty sure this is under construction?

Dvious
Legendary Member!
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:46 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 23 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#57 Post by Dvious » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:17 am

Their facebook page showed demo pics, have they actually started Site Work?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3381
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 105 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#58 Post by Waewick » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Ben wrote:Pretty sure this is under construction?
I was at the pub the other day and the staff were telling me that they are clearing the site in preparation.

User avatar
Kasey771
Legendary Member!
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 79 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#59 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Waewick wrote:I've heard there is some anti development sentiment already.
Not surprised. Some numpty from Glynde and a NIMBY in Wood Street are responsible for the delay in the building of the new $5.3m Norwood FC clubrooms beginning:( :evil: :evil:

Work was supposed to start already, but the Glynde man was a concerned ratepayer and objected to the NP&SP council putting in $2m of council funds so they had to take the time to respond to his submission. The bloke in Wood Street is concerned about undesirables and loutish behaviour ruining the ambiance of his street and he actually has a Go fundMe set set up to help hire lawyers to argue against the already approved development :( Its a clubroom upgrade not a bloody nightclub! f**cking NIMBYs have far too much clout in this town.
Sorry...club in existence since 1878 and the oval is over 100 years old and badly needs an upgrade..this sort of inaction(how long must we wait for decent facilities at Norwood Oval?) really gets my goat :twisted: :twisted:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

User avatar
Kasey771
Legendary Member!
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 79 times

[U/C] Re: [PRO] 236-238 The Parade Norwood, Bath Hotel $11.5m

#60 Post by Kasey771 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:47 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Waewick wrote:I've heard there is some anti development sentiment already.
Not surprised. Some numpty from Glynde and a NIMBY in Wood Street are responsible for the delay in the building of the new $5.3m Norwood FC clubrooms beginning:( :evil: :evil:

Work was supposed to start already, but the Glynde man was a concerned ratepayer and objected to the NP&SP council putting in $2m of council funds so they had to take the time to respond to his submission. The bloke in Wood Street is concerned about undesirables and loutish behaviour ruining the ambiance of his street and he actually has a Go fundMe set set up to help hire lawyers to argue against the already approved development :( Its a clubroom upgrade not a bloody nightclub! f**cking NIMBYs have far too much clout in this town.
Sorry...club in existence since 1878 and the oval is over 100 years old and badly needs an upgrade..this sort of inaction(how long must we wait for decent facilities at Norwood Oval?) really gets my goat :twisted: :twisted:

Good News. Common Sense prevails and their objection has been withdrawn, meaning NFC can finally get on with building their much needed new clubrooms/Community centre :banana: :banana: :banana: :applause: :applause: :cheers: :cheers:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 0c94b50c97
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest