[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: ONH: Tea Tree Plaza Upgrade | $190m

#436 Post by electrictechron » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:19 pm

A structure is being built at the Aldi site. It looks like it will be a roof top parking ramp.
The JetExpress must be saved!

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#437 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 pm

electrictechron wrote:A structure is being built at the Aldi site. It looks like it will be a roof top parking ramp.
Definitely will be. So part of the older ramp will join the new Aldi.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

#438 Post by electrictechron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:44 pm

That ramp has concrete laided on the top now for cars. The foundations of the Aldi are being done now!

RustyCage
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#440 Post by RustyCage » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:45 pm

We have a loading dock. Starting to take shape now
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448356482.854722.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448356482.854722.jpg (358.95 KiB) Viewed 5319 times

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#441 Post by Phantom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:39 am

It seems as though this will be an unincorporated, stand-alone building, rather than one that attaches to the centre proper, meaning that in order to enter Aldi, you need to walk outside. I've never been a massive fan of this style. Marion shopping centre has it with Dan Murphy's and to a lesser extent Bunnings. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Aldi at Marion will join the shopping centre, or be out on its own?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

bits
Legendary Member!

#442 Post by bits » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 am

Phantom wrote:It seems as though this will be an unincorporated, stand-alone building, rather than one that attaches to the centre proper, meaning that in order to enter Aldi, you need to walk outside. I've never been a massive fan of this style.
I wondered if they were going to take out one of the specialty stores next to Coles to allow a new path out to Aldi's but maybe not(there is really no better path to get around Coles anyway).
I kind of feel like from the exit opposite K-Mart they could just have a sheltered path to Aldi's. I assume the big picture for TTP will be to fully enclosed said path and connect into TTPlus between Toys R Us and Savers.

electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

#443 Post by electrictechron » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:20 am

bits wrote:
Phantom wrote:It seems as though this will be an unincorporated, stand-alone building, rather than one that attaches to the centre proper, meaning that in order to enter Aldi, you need to walk outside. I've never been a massive fan of this style.
I wondered if they were going to take out one of the specialty stores next to Coles to allow a new path out to Aldi's but maybe not(there is really no better path to get around Coles anyway).
I kind of feel like from the exit opposite K-Mart they could just have a sheltered path to Aldi's. I assume the big picture for TTP will be to fully enclosed said path and connect into TTPlus between Toys R Us and Savers.
If they did take out a specialty store it would mostly likely be the Mitchells store. I never really see much people in that store.
The footpath on the road next to the Coles loading dock is not really big enough to handle the foot traffic between the centre and Aldi.
Another options may be building a new path over the creek to the 'Kmart' entrance.
ImageALDI access from TTP ideas by Joshua Downes, on Flickr

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#444 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:42 pm

This seems to be Aldi's style. From my experience interstate they tend to have more stand alone stores (even when the opportunity is there to be in a shopping centre), perhaps it's a convenience thing so people get park, jump out of the car, grab what they need and leave and not have to walk through a shopping centre to get to a supermarket.

That being said, I hate that they've done this at TTP. The area is a shambles. If they put half the money they put into interstate Westfield centres into TTP it'd be a wonderful. Bulldoze Tea Tree Plus, extend the centre that way (perhaps move Hoyts into this area) and give generous facelifts to the interior and exterior of the existing shopping centre. It's not that hard.

electrictechron
Gold-Member ;)

#445 Post by electrictechron » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:52 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:This seems to be Aldi's style. From my experience interstate they tend to have more stand alone stores (even when the opportunity is there to be in a shopping centre), perhaps it's a convenience thing so people get park, jump out of the car, grab what they need and leave and not have to walk through a shopping centre to get to a supermarket.

That being said, I hate that they've done this at TTP. The area is a shambles. If they put half the money they put into interstate Westfield centres into TTP it'd be a wonderful. Bulldoze Tea Tree Plus, extend the centre that way (perhaps move Hoyts into this area) and give generous facelifts to the interior and exterior of the existing shopping centre. It's not that hard.
I agree. The centre is not very appealing at all.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#446 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Of course Aldi would look at siting themselves external to shopping centres where they can. It's cheaper than paying the rents some shopping centres charge - the same reason budget airlines land in secondary airports or terminals lacking aerobridges, lower overheads which lead to lower prices being passed on to consumers.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#447 Post by pushbutton » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Except at TTP they ARE paying Westfield rents, as they're still on Westfield land!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#448 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:32 am

Phantom wrote:It seems as though this will be an unincorporated, stand-alone building, rather than one that attaches to the centre proper, meaning that in order to enter Aldi, you need to walk outside. I've never been a massive fan of this style. Marion shopping centre has it with Dan Murphy's and to a lesser extent Bunnings. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Aldi at Marion will join the shopping centre, or be out on its own?
it is part of the new mall at Marion which is currently under construction so it will be part of the centre.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#449 Post by Phantom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Ben wrote:
Phantom wrote:It seems as though this will be an unincorporated, stand-alone building, rather than one that attaches to the centre proper, meaning that in order to enter Aldi, you need to walk outside. I've never been a massive fan of this style. Marion shopping centre has it with Dan Murphy's and to a lesser extent Bunnings. Speaking of which, does anyone know if Aldi at Marion will join the shopping centre, or be out on its own?
it is part of the new mall at Marion which is currently under construction so it will be part of the centre.
It is? Cool.

I knew it was in the car park between Woolworths and Dan Murphy's, so I guess that makes sense for it to adjoin the centre. As for the TTP Aldi, that creek running between the site and the Shopping Centre itself could easily be paved over and a culvert made for the creek. There's already one that runs from Civic Park to just outside of the Coles store. What's an extra 60ft on top of that? It's all well and good that Aldi would want to make the trip easier on customers and have them able to visit their store without going into the shopping centre, but I can see it severely affecting the traffic on Modbury Avenue, which can already struggle during peak hour around Christmas time, when many cars and busses are gridlocked for large quantities of time.

Funnily enough, I feel like the Savers store in Tea Tree Plus probably would've been a better position for Aldi. It's in a much lower populated side of the shopping district, the number of patrons for Tea Tree Plus would be lifted and the store itself is probably large enough, surely?

When Tea Tree Plus and Tea Tree Plaza are eventually connected, car parking is going to become a massive bitch (unless they create a tunnel from near the new Aldi site to connect with the car park running adjacent to North East Road.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

duke
High Rise Poster!

#450 Post by duke » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:32 pm

The building is coming along nicely.

Does anyone know if you will be able to get from the roof carpark into the store? I can only see metal stairs on the outside.
There is also a ramp following the creek rather than crossing it.
I am surprised Westfield didn't add a roundabout to the main street, instead they are forcing people through the carpark of the new building.