[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#46 Post by Mants » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:30 pm

crawf wrote:Well Burnside is a complete different ball game to Elizabeth.
exactly my point
Rubbish. What about Adelaide Central Plaza?, The Metro?, Mitcham Square?, Adelaide Arcade?
perhaps you misinterpreted. Adelaide Arcade is not really a shopping centre
Mitcham Square is hardly stylish, it hasnt even been built yet
The Metro is nice, but its a bit dirty and dated

Rundle is not a shopping centre either, its a mall.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#47 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Mitcham Square is hardly stylish, it hasnt even been built yet
Hasnt it?, should of been complete by now. Well it looks very nice in the renders
The Metro is nice, but its a bit dirty and dated
I reacon Burnside is a bit outdated too. anyway isnt burnside getting more shops??

Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#48 Post by Mants » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:23 pm

crawf wrote:I reacon Burnside is a bit outdated too. anyway isnt burnside getting more shops??
theyre expanding the carpark on the western side.

i dont kno what you expect from a shopping centre, but i reguarally use burnside and its clean and by no means dated.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C]

#49 Post by littledyl16 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:26 pm

I cant really imagine Marion with an extra 200 Shops, its huge as it is. Not only that there are already 6 Department Stores, 2 Supermarkets, a cinema and bowling alley. and any way, everything is there that they need, although i would like to see myer and david jones add a story to their department stores, to have a much more diverser range, but other than that i think everyone in the area is satisfied with Marion, i know i am.

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C]

#50 Post by tidus0 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:05 pm

If you look at wikipedia Marion megaplex cinemas is the largest in the southern hemisphere the official site says 26 cinema's including two senstadiums, 3 gold class and apparently marion megaplex has the worlds largest projection room which you can tour for like $4 according to the official website SITE HERE

And rundle mall although is a mall it isn't a shopping centre it is out door so alhtough it has more fashion in the shopping centres it would have to be marion following by whatever and so on.

Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#51 Post by Mants » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:14 pm

i would say that burnside is more fashionable that marion

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C]

#52 Post by littledyl16 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:47 pm

perhaps they will add another story to the david jones and myer department stores

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#53 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Just joined the forum! I have to say this is a forum I intend to visit a lot as I'm fascinated by this type of stuff, especially when it comes to shopping centres, and I always try to keep in touch with planned developments!!!

Anyway to add my 2 cents worth. I have a close working relationship with a Westfield manager who I do not want to identify here.

This person told me about a month ago that the TTP development will happen in early 2007, and hinted that a marion extension would "probably" happen AFTER the TTP one was complete.

I'm not saying that's definately the case but it sounds likely as it would seem strange for Westfield to be working on 2 major construction projects in the same state at the same time.

Also I have seen many excellent shopping centres both interstate and overseas, and I have to say whilst it sounds exciting that Westfield want to invest further in Adelaide, size isn't everything!!!

Frankly Westfield Marion and TTP are both quite disgusting from an aesthetic and architectural viewpoint (with West Lakes being significantly better but far from perfect), and both compare very poorly to many of the better shopping centres interstate and overseas.

If they are going to look at spending a significant amount I do hope they find a way of improving the aesthetics of both centres. Unfortunately they are so keen to increase floor space (thereby getting more tenants and more rent) that they don't seem all that bothered with making it a nice visual experience for shoppers, which is a bit short-sighted in my opinion.

I also have visited Elizabeth Shopping Centre and Chadstone many times, which are both owned by Gandel retail management / Colonial first state. Gandel has so far been much better than Westfield in this regard and really seems to care about making it's centres stand out architecturally, as both these centres show. I hope that Colonial continue this tradition!

I also have to agree that the new Elizabeth Shopping Centre is quite stylish. It's not on the same level as Chadstone and is very very far from the standard of world-class centres, but nonetheless it is a very pleasant, modern and spacious shopping centre with a nice feel to it.

The people who designed the recent redevelopment deserve an award. They have totally transformed what was a dismal dive into something far far nicer. Also the way they managed to alter the floorplan into a cicular design is just brilliant design!

I will look forward to hearing much more about both Marion and TTP developments and will let you all klnow if I find out anything more from my Westfield friend!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#54 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:37 pm

Hi Pushbutton, thanks for joining the forum. We're sure you'll be a great asset to the site so thanks once again.

Onto shopping centers... don't forget Centro Arndale too that was recently approved. Exciting times ahead for Adelaidians.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#55 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:40 pm

Howie wrote:Hi Pushbutton, thanks for joining the forum. We're sure you'll be a great asset to the site so thanks once again.

Onto shopping centers... don't forget Centro Arndale too that was recently approved. Exciting times ahead for Adelaidians.
With Arndale I'll believe it when I see it. Plans were originally submitted in January 2001 and it's been one almighty cock-up after another, as with many Adelaide developments!

I know exactly what it will look like and where everything will be (I have inside info but I won't say how) and it won't exactly be breath-taking.

It will transform a hopeless mess into a reasonably decent shopping centre, but don't hope for more than that at Arndale!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C]

#56 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Sure but it's a start.. and it's still several millions of dollars worth of investments into an area which I thought would never see that sort of development. I'm not saying it will ever be as big as TTP or Marion, but it's a nice way to kick off 2007. :wink:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C]

#57 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 am

It feels like nearly every shopping centre in Adelaide is getting a makeover. which is great news for adelaidians, bad news for the CBD

Mants
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#58 Post by Mants » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:38 pm

i believe stage one of the Burnside Village upgrade is just about complete. it's much better now as there is now a rear entrance as well as more retail.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

[U/C]

#59 Post by bdm » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Mants wrote:i believe stage one of the Burnside Village upgrade is just about complete. it's much better now as there is now a rear entrance as well as more retail.
I can't wait to put on my top hat, adjust my monocle, trim my moustache and drive on down in my new Mercedes Benz to have a look.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[U/C]

#60 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:46 pm

Yes Burnside village does seem to have that snobby reputation, but I don't know why. When I went there I didn't think it was anything special at all!