[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Tea Tree Plaza Upgrade | $190m

#511 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:19 am

Westfield Tea Tree Plaza | Developement Fly-through.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#512 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:46 am

Looks pretty decent, it's definitely a nicer entrance compared to what it is now.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#513 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Looks like they're going for the softer US town center style mall look. Which is funny since it's an entrance to an old style mall. Looks really good.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#514 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm

As part of the revamp, Hoyts is expanding to 12 screens, and will be introducing Hoyts Lux (Hoyts' equivalent to Gold Class) to SA for the first time.

Further pics of what to expect https://www.westfield.com.au/teatreeplaza/development.

It looks really good in concept, but if anyone can make this look cheap and tacky, it's Westfield.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#515 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:25 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:48 pm
As part of the revamp, Hoyts is expanding to 12 screens, and will be introducing Hoyts Lux (Hoyts' equivalent to Gold Class) to SA for the first time.

Further pics of what to expect https://www.westfield.com.au/teatreeplaza/development.

It looks really good in concept, but if anyone can make this look cheap and tacky, it's Westfield.
Years ago this was probably true, but since then Westfield have lifted their standards and created some superb retail developments. Places such as Westfield Sydney, Doncaster, Carousel and even the new food precinct at Marion is pretty good.

----

Pics from that link. Looks great!

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#516 Post by HiTouch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 pm

Mmm not sure about this one. Would rather it be left like it was. Tea Tree Plaza is one of Australia’s best structures up there with the Harbour Bridge. That shouldn’t be changed.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#517 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Very nice! I remember when the cinemas were first built (with only 6 cinemas then) the frontage was quite nice compared to what it is now (although nowhere near as classy as the renders for this latest development show it will be). It had a large curved glass facade facing the carpark, and from inside the cinema foyre, you could see through these windows.

Then when they expanded to 9 cinemas, the facade was just brutally replaced with a plain boring slab of pre-cast concrete!

Anyway, it will be good to see TTP cinemas return to (and improve on) their original standard, and the surrounding parts of the centre also brought up to a much nicer level.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#518 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm

pushbutton wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:48 pm
Very nice! I remember when the cinemas were first built (with only 6 cinemas then) the frontage was quite nice compared to what it is now (although nowhere near as classy as the renders for this latest development show it will be). It had a large curved glass facade facing the carpark, and from inside the cinema foyre, you could see through these windows.

Then when they expanded to 9 cinemas, the facade was just brutally replaced with a plain boring slab of pre-cast concrete!

Anyway, it will be good to see TTP cinemas return to (and improve on) their original standard, and the surrounding parts of the centre also brought up to a much nicer level.
Found a nostalgic old photo!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthesc ... CHY-89pN4P
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#519 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 pm

I was going to say "It can't be that old. The cinemas were only built in the early 90s", but then I looked at the photo and WOW! I'm very shocked at how old fashioned the cars all look.

SCARY!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#520 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 pm

The original 6 construction of Hoyts was very classy for it's time. I think being the first big multiplex this far north-east added to the wow factor of the original 6. The glass front, and the neon Hoyts sign at the top of the stairs really brings back some nostalgia!

With the expansion to 9, that facade couldn't be kept with the new Cinemaxx cinemas taking that space. Also, the pre-cast concrete seemed to be the drab style of the late 90's (Marion, TTP, ACP all got this drab look).

Of course, since it went to 9, Hoyts TTP has just gone completely downhill - as already discussed in this thread. Will the expansion to 12 and introduction of Lux, and all round general clean up bring back those people that have since gone to the cleaner pastures of Norwood, Salisbury and Elizabeth?

duke
High Rise Poster!

#521 Post by duke » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm
Epic, I forgot what it used to look like.

I am looking forward to this upgrade. It's needed.
But the thing that is still missing is the joining of TT+ to TTP.
Hopefully, the next round will be a multi-level carpark along with some sort of connection.

There is still the massive empty part of TT+ next to Toys R Us which was rumoured to be part of the joining process and Woolworths TTP is a dive.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#522 Post by relapse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 pm
The original 6 construction of Hoyts was very classy for it's time. I think being the first big multiplex this far north-east added to the wow factor of the original 6. The glass front, and the neon Hoyts sign at the top of the stairs really brings back some nostalgia!

With the expansion to 9, that facade couldn't be kept with the new Cinemaxx cinemas taking that space. Also, the pre-cast concrete seemed to be the drab style of the late 90's (Marion, TTP, ACP all got this drab look).

Of course, since it went to 9, Hoyts TTP has just gone completely downhill - as already discussed in this thread. Will the expansion to 12 and introduction of Lux, and all round general clean up bring back those people that have since gone to the cleaner pastures of Norwood, Salisbury and Elizabeth?
From memory I think TTP was the first modern suburban multiplex that was built in Adelaide.

Pretty sure Marion was next, but not sure about which was next between Noarlunga/Arndale/Salisbury

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#523 Post by relapse » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm

duke wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:

Hopefully, the next round will be a multi-level carpark along with some sort of connection.

There is still the massive empty part of TT+ next to Toys R Us which was rumoured to be part of the joining process and Woolworths TTP is a dive.
It's been long rumoured that the long term plan is for Woolworths to eventually be where Savers currently is when the redevelopment finally happens.

I suspect that's the reason why Woolworths have not spent a dime on their TTP store because they know that they at some point or another will be moving.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#524 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:20 pm

relapse wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm
duke wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:

It's been long rumoured that the long term plan is for Woolworths to eventually be where Savers currently is when the redevelopment finally happens.

I suspect that's the reason why Woolworths have not spent a dime on their TTP store because they know that they at some point or another will be moving.
Would be good to see Tea Tree Plus become the TTP version of Marion's new boutique food area.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#525 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:57 am

relapse wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:26 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:42 pm

From memory I think TTP was the first modern suburban multiplex that was built in Adelaide.

Pretty sure Marion was next, but not sure about which was next between Noarlunga/Arndale/Salisbury
I think Wallis Noarlunga just pipped TTP. Wallis Noarlunga opened in 1991, Hoyts TTP opened in 1992. Reckon Marion would've been next in 1997. Salisbury opened late 1998 (as a Hoyts/Andersons JV - the Andersons element severely damaged Salisbury's reputation), Hoyts Norwood early 1999, and GU Arndale late 1999.

While not modern, the first suburban multiplex was technically Wallis Glenelg, which went from 1 to 3 screens in 1971.