News & Developments: Prospect

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2462
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 566 times
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#151 Post by SRW » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:04 pm

In addition to the aesthetic and psychological improvements others mention, I think the effectiveness of the recent irrigation trial at Adelaide Airport in reducing the urban heat island adds extra weight to the argument to green the public realm. When we're pushing 47 degrees, the extra couple degrees cooling effect matters. We're wealthy enough to not let our city dry out and become dead and barren.
Keep Adelaide Weird

User avatar
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#152 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm

claybro wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm
Finally someone has cottoned on in Adelaide that if the arterial roads can be made more pleasant with decent landscaping and planning, then investment and commerce will follow. Ironic, because about 20 years ago, MN Rd in this area had carpet roses planted on the median strip, but it all became too hard to maintain. An argument developed over who was responsible to maintain it all, and eventually got ripped up. Same with the farce that became the Greenhill road median...once a beautiful, irrigated strip of lawn and shady trees was left to die, whilst the councils argued over who was to maintain it and eventually blamed the drought. Hopefully any efforts in this case will be better maintained, but Im not holding my breath.
Here is a radical idea to solve that argument: the land owners are responsible for maintaining gardens in the median. After all, they are the ones who benefit from the gardens.

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#153 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:06 pm
Long overdue - it's a very bland and depressing road at the moment and a nightmare to walk along in the summer due to the complete lack of shade. Hopefully the landscaping will be maintained into the future.
It's about time SOMETHING was done. It has changed very little in the past few decades. You're certainly right about the shade. Since it's the Prospect council is proposing this, the other end on the road (towards Enfield/Blair Athol) wouldn't be included.

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 408 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#154 Post by rev » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:58 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm
claybro wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:43 pm
Finally someone has cottoned on in Adelaide that if the arterial roads can be made more pleasant with decent landscaping and planning, then investment and commerce will follow. Ironic, because about 20 years ago, MN Rd in this area had carpet roses planted on the median strip, but it all became too hard to maintain. An argument developed over who was responsible to maintain it all, and eventually got ripped up. Same with the farce that became the Greenhill road median...once a beautiful, irrigated strip of lawn and shady trees was left to die, whilst the councils argued over who was to maintain it and eventually blamed the drought. Hopefully any efforts in this case will be better maintained, but Im not holding my breath.
Here is a radical idea to solve that argument: the land owners are responsible for maintaining gardens in the median. After all, they are the ones who benefit from the gardens.
Here's an even more radical idea..councils put some of the tens of millions they collect from rate payers to good use and maintain the vegetation within their boundaries.

What's next, home owners fixing concrete footpaths in front of their homes.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2009
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#155 Post by claybro » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Interestingly, councils have for years been saying they cannot maintain main road medians as they are under the DPTI. Now suddenly they can plant trees. Well and good but when the trees die through lack of maintenance, they will just blame the DPTI again. On a semi related matter,Main North Road between Gepps Cross and Gawler is an absolute disgrace. Road surface is like a goat track - median strip is dying/dead grass and shrubs. Not a good look for the main route to our premier tourist attraction The Barossa.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5697
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 775 times
Been thanked: 1413 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#156 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 pm

claybro wrote:Interestingly, councils have for years been saying they cannot maintain main road medians as they are under the DPTI. Now suddenly they can plant trees. Well and good but when the trees die through lack of maintenance, they will just blame the DPTI again. On a semi related matter,Main North Road between Gepps Cross and Gawler is an absolute disgrace. Road surface is like a goat track - median strip is dying/dead grass and shrubs. Not a good look for the main route to our premier tourist attraction The Barossa.
I hear and agree with what you say, and it needs an extra lane in certain places. But surely the premier road to the Barossa is now the Northern Expressway.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#157 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm

New Mobil Service Station is opening soon on northbound side of Main North Road in Prospect

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#158 Post by Eurostar » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 pm

The QFix service station at Blair Athol is all fenced up

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#159 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm

There's seems to be some activity at the Kaufland site. Hopefully they're starting to build it.

User avatar
Pistol
Legendary Member!
Posts: 910
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:46 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#160 Post by Pistol » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Ok, so not technically Prospect but close enough.
There is a DPA in place to rezone a 8060 sqm site on Belford Street in Devon Park from commercial to medium residential.

Not a huge development (about 40 dwellings consisting of townhouses and apartments) however with the just completed Park Link on Exeter Terrace, this will add about 140 dwellings to an inner city area. Gentrification through renewal/reuse.
In between Ovingham and Dudley Park train stations, maybe this is the future of Adelaide TODS(?)
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 280 times
Been thanked: 408 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#161 Post by rev » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:34 pm

Sephiroth_FF wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm
There's seems to be some activity at the Kaufland site. Hopefully they're starting to build it.
There's quite a lot of earth moving/site works activity going on. I'd say it's site works for Kaufland.

Vormund
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#162 Post by Vormund » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Looks like the prospect store is canned. Paywall article.

Apologies for the link, posting while on a bus in Kyoto.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... uffix=45-a

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 6761
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 am
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 1110 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#163 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Vormund wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:06 pm
Looks like the prospect store is canned. Paywall article.

Apologies for the link, posting while on a bus in Kyoto.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... uffix=45-a
Thats for the Munno Para store. Prospect is still going ahead afaik.

Vormund
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#164 Post by Vormund » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Ahh had no idea they were proposing one all the way out at Munno Para. I thought it was just old Le Cornu and Prospect.

Sephiroth_FF
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 8 times

Re: News & Developments: Prospect

#165 Post by Sephiroth_FF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:10 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:34 pm
Sephiroth_FF wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm
There's seems to be some activity at the Kaufland site. Hopefully they're starting to build it.
There's quite a lot of earth moving/site works activity going on. I'd say it's site works for Kaufland.
A few days after I posted, there were a whole lot of articles confirming that work has commenced. It'll apparently take a year to build and will first be used as a test store (it didn't say how long for). I'll post a link shortly.

Could someone post the article about the Munno Para store? I'd like to know what happened there.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests