[PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#31 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

ghs wrote:I am not sure if it's practical to have a hotel at the base of the jetty.

A couple of 75 year old tourists come over from melbourne and there taxi drops them off
on Colley Terrace. Then they have to walk all the way to the Jetty with heavy baggage ???

What if the hotel contracts out the cleaning of it's linen to a company in the suburbs. Where does
the man who comes to pick up and drop off the linen park his truck ?

Say if there's some plumbing issues at the hotel, so the plumber has to pay for parking on colley terrace
and then carry all of his tools and equipment to the jetty ?

Surely a hotel has to have good access by road.
Probably the 30-40m away from the start of the jetty next to the Stamford. The area around there is trafficable in the case of an emergency.

------

This is a brilliant project and simply must be built. Huuuge potential for Glenelg, its visitors and Greater Adelaide itself.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Pikey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:03 pm

ghs wrote:
thecityguy wrote:I'm sure there is a simple solution to the no car access issue.

It could be as easy as a free shuttle/golf buggy type thing to take guests to and from their cars/taxi or the tram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's other problems as well including car parking. I'm sure car access could be made possible from St Johns Row, and who knows, this could end up improving the plaza space in front of the Jetty.

What about the sewage from the toilets in the hotel ? You can't have shit floating in the sea. Seriously, I mean, seriously? The Roman Empire did invent the sewer system and we have this incredible invention these days called "pipes"

What if a wealthy couple from Melbourne drive over and stay in the hotel, where do they
park their expensive Porsche ? On the sand ? You're just taking the piss aren't you surely. Yes, they will park on the sand. But only welathy couples from Melbourne in Porsches. The hotel will be also called Sandy McSand Face and every employee working at the hotel must be named Sandy.

Where do the employees of the hotel park their cars on a weekend in the summer when every man
and his dog is down at Glenelg ? They ride their Hoverboards, but they do appreciate your concern over their means of accessing their place of employment. As every other member of the workforce in South Australia does.

If the hotel is at the base of the Jetty then every man who wants to do a spot of fishing then needs to
walk through the lobby of an upmarket hotel with their fishing rods ? Marine Conservation zones, Fishing is illegal in South Australia now.

A hotel on the jetty where there's no car park and no access by road would be a logistical nightmare.
I could see a restaurant or a bar or café working, but not a hotel. What a visionary. When it comes time to assemble the cranes maybe you could assist with the logistical timelines, you have a good track record at that.

If a hotel on a jetty was a good idea then why hasn't it been done in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold coast ? I forgot that any proposal in Adelaide has to be a duplicate of a version that's proven interstate. Original thoughts are banned here. Possibly due to the Marine Conservation Zones.

What type of hotel operator would commit to a project with so many extra issues and expenses ? I don't know, maybe one with ambition to change the stigma of the state. How dare they?
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Building a bigger better jetty is a good idea, I think a hotel is a bit over the top, maybe a venue like what St Kilda (Melbourne) has but modern, like a cafe / restaurant - live music space etc and a wharf for cater-marines (jet cats?) to KI and YP.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#34 Post by rev » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:Building a bigger better jetty is a good idea, I think a hotel is a bit over the top, maybe a venue like what St Kilda (Melbourne) has but modern, like a cafe / restaurant - live music space etc and a wharf for cater-marines (jet cats?) to KI and YP.
South Australia and Adelaide need big over the top crazy things happening and being built.
Think of it this way..if all the crazy development didn't happen over in Dubai and Abu Dhabi(the UAE) would you even know they existed? Most people wouldn't.
But it's because they've built the tallest building in the world, man made islands shaped like palm trees and what not, the worlds faster roller coaster in a Ferrari theme park, and so on, that people know what and where these places are, it's what has put them on the global map.

Over the top you say? I say it's not over the top enough.

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#35 Post by ghs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:34 am

I'll give you another scenario :

There's a massive fire at the hotel on the Jetty. How does the local fire chief get his fire truck close to the hotel
when there's no access by road ? In the meantime, the Paramedics are struggling as well because they can't get their ambulances close
to the hotel to help people with third degree burns.

This idea is not practical.

How about the state government does a deal with the Park hotel group to put an observation deck, restaurant and night club at
the top of the proposed hotel on Pirie street. Now that's a good idea.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Goodsy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:24 am

ghs wrote:I'll give you another scenario :

There's a massive fire at the hotel on the Jetty. How does the local fire chief get his fire truck close to the hotel
when there's no access by road ? In the meantime, the Paramedics are struggling as well because they can't get their ambulances close

How about the state government does a deal with the Park hotel group to put an observation deck, restaurant and night club at
A fire truck gets to the end of the jetty the same way a firetruck gets to the top floor of Westpac house, it doesn't

you're acting like buildings don't already exist on jetty's around the world.

People smarter then you and me design and build these things, I think they can figure out how to put out a fire on a building that's sitting ontop of water :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:26 am

Oh for heaven's sake...

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Blimp » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:57 am

Difference being one idea is truly unique whilst the rooftop idea is fairly safe, commonplace concept. SA has taken the safe route for years, the jetty hotel idea has its limitations that will need to be carefully considered but on the flip side it could become a true tourist icon.

In the event of a fire, theres potential to deploy fireboats over firetrucks. People do think about these scenarios.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by Goodsy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 am

Glenelg should fill in the beach and make it as big as Santa Monica.

it would stick out this far if it did

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by SouthAussie94 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:46 am

There's a massive fire on the 18th floor of the Westpac Building.

Allegations are thrown that the electrical system of the building isn't up to standard and when the reckless building owner orders all external lights to be turned on (Even the Christmas displays from years gone by), all hell breaks loose. The building's architect reports the fire to the dismissive building owner who, rather than evacuate the building, orders everyone to the 29th floor. Some silly people use the express elevator which then malfunctions, sending them to the blazing 18th floor.

The fire spreads to the 14th floor where an office worker having an affair with his secretary is trapped. He tries to run through the flames to get help but to no avail. He and his secretary can't escape and are killed in the blaze.

The fire suppression systems begin to fail as the fire takes hold. Electricity is cut and the city fire chief (who just happens to be in the building at the time) is forced to rappel down an elevator shaft. The nearby Navy base sends a helicopter to the building but the gale force winds caused by the fire cause it to crash on the roof, putting a stop to any further rooftop rescues.

Running out of options, the fire chief suggests exploding the massive water tanks in the roof to extinguish the flames. The plant C4 on the water tanks and hurriedly rush to the 29th floor where all the guests have tied them selves to large objects. Water rushes the building, extinguishing the flames and most of the guests survive. On the ground floor, the building's architect agrees to consult with the fire chief next time he builds a large building.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by Goodsy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:06 am

And to add to everything, Adelaide already has Tugboats with firefighting equipment on board

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Phantom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:

Allegations are thrown that the electrical system of the building isn't up to standard and when the reckless building owner orders all external lights to be turned on (Even the Christmas displays from years gone by), all hell breaks loose. The building's architect reports the fire to the dismissive building owner who, rather than evacuate the building, orders everyone to the 29th floor. Some silly people use the express elevator which then malfunctions, sending them to the blazing 18th floor.

The fire spreads to the 14th floor where an office worker having an affair with his secretary is trapped. He tries to run through the flames to get help but to no avail. He and his secretary can't escape and are killed in the blaze.

The fire suppression systems begin to fail as the fire takes hold. Electricity is cut and the city fire chief (who just happens to be in the building at the time) is forced to rappel down an elevator shaft. The nearby Navy base sends a helicopter to the building but the gale force winds caused by the fire cause it to crash on the roof, putting a stop to any further rooftop rescues.

Running out of options, the fire chief suggests exploding the massive water tanks in the roof to extinguish the flames. The plant C4 on the water tanks and hurriedly rush to the 29th floor where all the guests have tied them selves to large objects. Water rushes the building, extinguishing the flames and most of the guests survive. On the ground floor, the building's architect agrees to consult with the fire chief next time he builds a large building.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Pikey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:14 pm

I know the local fire chief, he's a good bloke. He won't have any problems with putting out a fire on a Jetty. He has a massive hose.

The above paragraph sounds like a Dean Koontz novel. Have you considered being a writer? You could write an action story on a fire that happens on a flashy new Pier based hotel where everyone parks on the sand and because of the sand the firefighters nor the paramedics could save the hotel. So the local fire chief trains some dolphins to extinguish the fire with their blow holes. But they can't get the fire chief to the end of the jetty to control the dolphins because they have to use a tower crane to lift him out there, but unfortunately it's still 2-3 months away from erection, even though the base is teasingly in place.

I'd buy a copy.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

TomE
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by TomE » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:52 pm

This project was reported in 2014 , twice in 2015, then again in Feb 2016 and again April 2016.

No need to worry about car parks, fire hazards and sewerage yet.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6839592607

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by Brando » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:37 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:

I know, I know..... the answer is Towering Inferno...