[PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $110m

#1 Post by Pants » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm sure this has been mentioned here somewhere else, but it's definitely worth its own thread. Note that the $110m is for the first stage of lengthening and widening the jetty:
A HOTEL floating above the Glenelg jetty and with ocean views across the horizon is the centrepiece of a $110 million development aimed at reinvigorating the foreshore.

The Advertiser has obtained plans for a long-discussed revival of the Glenelg landmark from designers Mott MacDonald, which requires government funding to get the green light.

SA Liberal leader Steven Marshall will today announce that his party will commit $20 million to the project if it wins the next election and a cost-benefit study shows an overall economic lift.

The development plan was kickstarted by the Jetty Road Mainstreet Committee in 2014 with cash for the concept design and further money has been allocated for an economic analysis.

The plan includes doubling the length of the jetty and widening it to six times its current size at a cost of $110 million. That base would be used for the private development of a boutique hotel, dock for a fast ferry to Kangaroo Island, marine research centre, restaurants and public space.

“This type of project is how governments should be growing the economy,” he said.

“The State Government should be backing private investors who want to create jobs, renew our state and grow our economy. “Glenelg is a great location but it needs a refresh. This development will breathe life into the area.”

The state Liberals would provide $20 million towards the jetty redevelopment if there were a positive cost-benefit analysis and federal government funding contribution, Mr Marshall said.

Federal Liberal Hindmarsh MP Matt Williams is facing a strong Labor challenge for his seat at an election due on July 2. Mr Williams said he supported the project.

The Jetty Road Mainstreet Committee wants to return the jetty to its heyday of the early 1900s when it housed city baths, tea house and aquarium.

They were washed away in a storm in 1948 and the current jetty was built in 1969.

Holdfast Bay Mayor Stephen Patterson said state and federal government support and financial commitments would help attract private investors needed.

A state government spokeswoman said: “The Government is yet to hear from the proponents of the Glenelg Jetty plans but we would be happy to consider the proposal once we do”.
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8f8f ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/22b4 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/e5fc ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d792 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/8d6a ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/d688 ... ?width=650
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/5971 ... ?width=650

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

Re: [PRO] Glenelg Jetty Hotel and Marine Research Centre | $

#2 Post by thecityguy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:53 am

Incredible! Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Briggzy_03 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:13 am

Love the concept, especially the idea of a hotel as part of the development, which would provide the foot traffic required for this to be successful and remove one of my concerns with such a development.

I know the Ferry to KI service from Glenelg has been floated and shot down before (didn't they use to provide this service many years ago?) but this vision would surely help in potentially making it a viable service.

And a big thumbs up to the marine research centre as well! For a State like ours, where the commercial marine industry represents such a large part of our economy, we need something centralized like this to show off what we have to offer.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Mpol » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:50 am

Build it!

Glenelg has so much potential. It needs however better shopping and restaurants to really make it a place people want to go to. This project could be what helps to rejuvenate it.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by thecityguy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:15 am

I think a good addition to this development could be an artificial reef build not far from the end of the jetty.

Could have a small equipment hire place at the jetty, and also instructors that could take tourists out to dive and explore the reef

phenom
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by phenom » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:09 pm

Looks incredibly ambitious but that's what we need right now - can't wait for the Glenelg residents association (whatever they're called) to weigh in on this one... "the jetty is a historic landmark [since 1969]"... :P

If this went ahead, even minus the ferry dock part, it would still be enough to create one of those 'must see/visit' tourist things that SA is always accused of not having enough of - and perfectly aligned with the existing tram line to make it accessible for tourists as well as locals.

A 21st century version of Marineland :)

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Just don't read the comments in The Advertiser, unless you feel like a good belly laugh or want to realise how many small minded people
we have in this state.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Nathan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:54 pm

The hotel is key — it would be a destination hotel (people would come to Adelaide/Glenelg specifically to stay there).

Who is up for the cash though? Libs say they'll chip in $20m, but who then is responsible for the rest? If it's private investment, will the new jetty be given to the public or will the entire structure become privately owned?

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Paulns » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:50 pm

I wish I could double thank, double like this!! I just hope it's not a pipe dream. Adelaide needs a stand out development like this.

"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

ghs

#10 Post by ghs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:25 pm

I am not sure if it's practical to have a hotel at the base of the jetty.

A couple of 75 year old tourists come over from melbourne and there taxi drops them off
on Colley Terrace. Then they have to walk all the way to the Jetty with heavy baggage ???

What if the hotel contracts out the cleaning of it's linen to a company in the suburbs. Where does
the man who comes to pick up and drop off the linen park his truck ?

Say if there's some plumbing issues at the hotel, so the plumber has to pay for parking on colley terrace
and then carry all of his tools and equipment to the jetty ?

Surely a hotel has to have good access by road.

Waewick

#11 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:32 pm

ghs wrote:I am not sure if it's practical to have a hotel at the base of the jetty.

A couple of 75 year old tourists come over from melbourne and there taxi drops them off
on Colley Terrace. Then they have to walk all the way to the Jetty with heavy baggage ???

What if the hotel contracts out the cleaning of it's linen to a company in the suburbs. Where does

Say if there's some plumbing issues at the hotel, so the plumber has to pay for parking on colley terrace

I would suggest those things would be fairly low on the major issues list.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Nathan wrote:The hotel is key — it would be a destination hotel (people would come to Adelaide/Glenelg specifically to stay there).

Who is up for the cash though? Libs say they'll chip in $20m, but who then is responsible for the rest? If it's private investment, will the new jetty be given to the public or will the entire structure become privately owned?
The Libs aren't going to contribute shit.
Read the rest of that sentence. They've given them selves an escape clause.
Their claim they'll put up 20 million if they win the election is just a way to get people to vote for them.
They've been against every positive development in this state for years, they've come up with no plans or visions, just a hollow plan with no substance, and now suddenly they'll fund tourist infrastructure? Give me a break. They aren't trying very hard.

From the images it seems part of this will be below the water? I guess with the natural movement of sand already disturbed it wont make much of a difference hell it may even make things better :lol:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#13 Post by rev » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:41 pm

ghs wrote:I am not sure if it's practical to have a hotel at the base of the jetty.

:roll:

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by thecityguy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm sure there is a simple solution to the no car access issue.

It could be as easy as a free shuttle/golf buggy type thing to take guests to and from their cars/taxi or the tram

ghs

#15 Post by ghs » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:14 pm

thecityguy wrote:I'm sure there is a simple solution to the no car access issue.

It could be as easy as a free shuttle/golf buggy type thing to take guests to and from their cars/taxi or the tram

There's other problems as well including car parking.

What about the sewage from the toilets in the hotel ? You can't have shit floating in the sea.

What if a wealthy couple from Melbourne drive over and stay in the hotel, where do they
park their expensive Porsche ? On the sand ?

Where do the employees of the hotel park their cars on a weekend in the summer when every man
and his dog is down at Glenelg ?

If the hotel is at the base of the Jetty then every man who wants to do a spot of fishing then needs to
walk through the lobby of an upmarket hotel with their fishing rods ?

A hotel on the jetty where there's no car park and no access by road would be a logistical nightmare.
I could see a restaurant or a bar or café working, but not a hotel.

If a hotel on a jetty was a good idea then why hasn't it been done in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold coast ?

What type of hotel operator would commit to a project with so many extra issues and expenses ?
Last edited by ghs on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.