[REJ] 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 37m x 2 & 31m| 10 & 2 x 8 Levels

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[REJ] 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 37m x 2 & 31m| 10 & 2 x 8 Levels

#1 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 am

This came out of nowhere.

Currently on Public notification.

http://dac.sa.gov.au/publications

A whole block and this is nearby the other 8 story proposed apartments on Walsh Street. Nice design too.

The proposed development comprises the particular built form elements:
• ground level retail and commercial tenancies;
• a nine (9) storey residential fl at building (from levels 1-10);
• a seven (7) storey hotel building (from levels G-6);
• a four (4) level offi ce building (from levels 4-7);
• an ancillary above grade car parking building sited below the office building (from levels 1-3.5) and ancillary
basement and ground fl oor car parking;
• open space and landscaping at ground and level 1; and
• commercialvehicle loading.
Attachments
pr5.JPG
pr5.JPG (88.98 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
pr4.JPG
pr4.JPG (119.25 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
pr3.JPG
pr3.JPG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
pr2.JPG
pr2.JPG (98.67 KiB) Viewed 7891 times
pr1.JPG
pr1.JPG (51.95 KiB) Viewed 7891 times

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[REJ] Re: 79 Port Road, Thebarton | 36m| 10 & 2 x 8 Levels

#2 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 am

It looks good, but...

That's the location of the E.S. Wigg Factory. It's one of the oldest factory buildings in the area, and I believe it was the first sawtooth roof in the state. Of all the industrial buildings in the area, it has probably the highest historical significance.

Instead of the brick podium, it would be far better to integrate the original building facade and some of the original roof. The two towers can stay as they are proposed.

Thebarton, Hindmarsh, Bowden are ripe for this kind of development - but they're also our richest inner city industrial areas. That industrial history should be maintained with the residential development by retaining the best elements of the industrial buildings either through preservation or adaptive reuse.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:08 am

I know someone who used to work at ES Wigg and Son before it was sold to an interstate firm, so I've known for ages that something was coming but wasn't sure what it entailed.
Nathan wrote:Instead of the brick podium, it would be far better to integrate the original building facade and some of the original roof. The two towers can stay as they are proposed.

Thebarton, Hindmarsh, Bowden are ripe for this kind of development - but they're also our richest inner city industrial areas. That industrial history should be maintained with the residential development by retaining the best elements of the industrial buildings either through preservation or adaptive reuse.
Completely 100% agree Nathan. The current brick facade has alot of heritage value and would tie in very nicely with this development, it would be a shame to see it go. The industrial heritage of those suburbs and Port Adelaide, is what is going to set them apart from the Adelaide CBD, North Adelaide etc as a key selling point and interest.

Nevertheless it's still a pretty decent development that will no doubt sell quickly due to it's location (right opposite Bonython Park tram stop) and amazing parkland / city views. Views that will never be built over.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Dvious » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:46 am

This was only a matter of time, i wonder when the coke factory will get the wrecking ball. Imagine what that land is worth.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:13 am

Dvious wrote:This was only a matter of time, i wonder when the coke factory will get the wrecking ball. Imagine what that land is worth.
Coke will end up moving their factory out to Salisbury next to their logistics centre in time.
It's not logical or economically viable to keep trucking loads of product across suburbia when there's ample land out there for them to consolidate their operations at one site.
The brewery should also move out that way.

Nathan

#6 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:34 am

rev wrote:
Dvious wrote:This was only a matter of time, i wonder when the coke factory will get the wrecking ball. Imagine what that land is worth.
Coke will end up moving their factory out to Salisbury next to their logistics centre in time.
It's not logical or economically viable to keep trucking loads of product across suburbia when there's ample land out there for them to consolidate their operations at one site.
The brewery should also move out that way.
The brewery is not going to be moving for a long long time. Not only did they just complete a major upgrade, but they're also specifically exempted from the development plan for the area. Not that I touch anything that comes from that brewery, but I like having them in the area. The inner west is becoming a bit of a brewery district (in the immediate area is Wheaty Brewing Corps, Pirate Life, and potentially another micro-brewery opening in Plant 3, Bowden). Young Henry's was supposed to be moving in next to Hindmarsh Stadium (not sure if the plan is dead, or just put off).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I agree with the rest of the posters here, the proposal is solid but it's a shame about the heritage component. Hopefully something can be agreed upon between the DAC and the developer.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Blimp » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:21 pm

I agree with the general consensus here in that whilst this is a solid proposal, its disappointing that the proposed has not factored in any of the existing industrial design elements into the proposed buildings. These transitioning suburbs (Thebarton, Bowden etc.) point of difference is their industrial background and it would be great to see this factored into the design of future developments in the area. My great fear is we see suburbs defining factors diminish overtime, and generic design reigns supreme.

However I don't have alot of faith in the DAC pushing this onto developers.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks, Nathan and other posters.
+1 from me too.

It would be a tragedy for this fine building not to be integrated in some measure into the proposed development.

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by thecityguy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:45 pm

Port road is generally a hole for the most part, but this side of south road has a really nice look and feel, lots of cafes and really good restraunts...would be a really appealing place to live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by how good is he » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Surprised that they don't incorporate the heritage facade and also add the hotel component to the residential apartments or at least build it on Port Rd (not facing a side street) so it faces the parklands.
I note the new one facing Park Terrace in Bowden will be 12 storeys, this could/should be similar height/density and then you can remove the building/s at the rear...thoughts?

[Shuz]

#12 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:34 am

Remember this one would be directly underneath the flight path. 36m is probably as high as they could go.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

noted
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by noted » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:47 am

Why is Adelaide so bad at integrating heritage sites with something new and modern? Here we have the perfect opportunity and they propose this crap. I feel like I have been transported to the Soviet bloc in the mid 60s.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Goodsy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:55 am

noted wrote:Why is Adelaide so bad at integrating heritage sites with something new and modern? Here we have the perfect opportunity and they propose this crap. I feel like I have been transported to the Soviet bloc in the mid 60s.
Can you point to any examples of heritage buildings that have been integrated properly?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 am

Developer plans 10-storey apartment complex for site of former Wigg and Son envelop factory on Port Rd, Thebarton

Eleanor Miller, Westside Weekly, The Weekly Times
October 18, 2016 11:20pm
Subscriber only

THE Thebarton landscape could change forever with a developer’s push to flatten the former E.S. Wigg and Son envelope factory and build a 10-storey apartment block in its place.

PRD Project Management has lodged plans with the Development Assessment Commission for a $120 million apartment, hotel and retail complex on the 7000sq m Port Rd site.

The project, which exceeds the eight-storey height recommendation for the area, includes space for a microbrewery, restaurant and cafe.

The former factory has been part of the Thebarton streetscape since the early 1900s, but is not heritage listed.

The new complex would include three buildings – one for apartments, another for offices and a carpark, and the third for serviced apartments.

There would be a restaurant with its own microbrewery, opposite the Southwark Hotel, a central plaza and a separate garden for residents.

The microbrewery would produce about 1000L of beer a week but would “not represent intense industrial activity”, according to the developer’s application.

Project Spokesman Damien Ellis said the development’s 90 apartments would be designed to appeal to young professionals.

The hotel foyer would be on the corner of Phillips and Walsh streets, and there would be space for shops along Walsh St and to the north of the site.

“Aside from the microbrewery, restaurant and cafe, we can confirm there will also be a gourmet food market,” Mr Ellis said.

He said the hotel was needed because of a lack of quality hotels in the city’s west, and would be close to universities, the new Royal Adelaide Hospital and SAHMRI. Mr Ellis said developers were negotiating with an international brand to run the hotel but would not reveal which one.
One of the comments:
Sandy 11 hours ago
The Wigg & Sons building represents an important part of SAs manufacturing history.

I am surprised it is not heritage protected.

Looking at the design it could easily be incorporated into the development and the two levels over the height could and should be used as leverage to ensure this facade is retained in the development.

Sandy Wilkinson