[U/C] Eyre Village, EYRE

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3725
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 320 times

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#16 Post by rev » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 am

Nathan wrote:
rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:Yay. Another low density suburb by a project home builder anchored by a box shopping centre surrounded by car parking.
And where would you like people to live? Do you think everyone can afford to get a home loan as big as you can? Do you think everyone wants to live in a shoebox apartment?
There's a market for these developments, just like there's a growing market for apartment living. This whole "omg more sprawl" bullshit is as bad if not worse then the parklands preservation muppets sooking.

Get over it already.
Sure, not everyone wants or needs to live in an apartment (which, by the way, aren't "shoeboxes" in Adelaide), but we shouldn't be encouraging new developments that are barely removed from 1960's urban planning. Low density suburbs that require a car just to go buy a carton of milk, let alone get to work, are a bad outcome for lower income earners. A cheap home is no longer cheap when every one in the family over 16 has to run and own a car out of necessity. Never mind the quality of homes these project home builders build these days is poorly designed rubbish. There absolutely should be homes for people at that level of affordability, but that shouldn't be at the expense of quality, location and infrastructure.

Well what do you suggest be done?
Where would you build thousands of homes for people to live in, for a growing population?
Show us how you would bring the cost of these new homes so they are as affordable as the new suburbs going up in the north.

How many homes do you think you can fit on the corner of Regency and Days roads?
How many homes do you think you can fit on the corner of Regency and Churchill roads?
Know of any large empty parcels of land in existing surburbia?
The only other site identified for housing that I can think of is the former salt pans. But that site isn't going to be ready for a couple decades. What happens in the mean time? People sleep in their cars?

What should be done, should existing suburbs be bulldozed, and divided up into smaller and smaller blocks? Prices will still be high. Because someone has to purchase those homes first before bulldozing them, and then redo the drainage and other utilities to realign streets as there'll be smaller blocks and the purpose is to cram as many new homes in as possible so as to not keep expanding the metro area...and they'd want to at least make their money back.
Government you say? We all pay for that then through higher taxes, levies and fees.

And what's wrong with the quality of homes being built? They might not be to yours or my taste, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.
For some people, it's a matter of what they can afford, and living realistically within their means.

ps, you should probably pay attention to the majority of cars on our road. They are small cars. There's your number one reason why our car industry is going. Because people are buying smaller and smaller cars imported from overseas, and our local makes haven't kept up with the more appealing smaller cars coming in with their own small cars(rebadged pieces of crap mostly).
Most people can't afford a house close to the city, and they cant afford a big petrol guzzling car. They therefore have smaller cars for commuting to and from work. It's actually not that expensive. I know quite a few people who live in new developments in the north who drive small cars like Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz for that reason.

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3059
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 572 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#17 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 am

Nothing to do with taste, they're badly designed and badly constructed. They're large to compensate for poor layouts, and built from cheap materials that offer sub-par heating and noise insulation. And since they're chosen out of a catalogue, are not designed to respond to their site.

Affordable housing is about compromise - what can be compromised on to bring down the cost. It seems we are willing to compromise on everything except house size - when really, once it meets a minimum size to be liveable, should be the first thing looked at to reduce costs.

Small cars do still cost. You still have to buy the things, and for people in this position that's often with a car loan, they still need to be registered, insured, maintained, fuelled, parked. And times that by however many people in the family drive. You also need yet again a larger home, because you need somewhere to put those cars at home as well.

urban
Legendary Member!
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:59 am
Location: City of Unley
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 14 times

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#18 Post by urban » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Rev, cheap Greenfield housing is one of the great myths of our time. The low upfront cost to purchasers has only been historically possible because of the mammoth hidden subsidies provided by State and Local Governments. Read the following DPTI commissioned report and you'll never advocate cheap Greenfield housing again. This isn't an isolated report either. Research the issue and you'll find numerous reports across the world with similar conclusions. The industry as a whole is aware of the costs of Greenfield but the myth is perpetuated by industry groups such as HIA because it is incredibly profitable for the developers who buy cheap farmland, convince the govt to rezone their land as residential then sell the land at residential prices.

http://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... report.pdf

For quick reference see figures 1 and 2 of the Executive Summary.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1908
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 196 times

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#19 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 pm

rev wrote:What should be done, should existing suburbs be bulldozed, and divided up into smaller and smaller blocks? Prices will still be high. Because someone has to purchase those homes first before bulldozing them, and then redo the drainage and other utilities to realign streets as there'll be smaller blocks and the purpose is to cram as many new homes in as possible so as to not keep expanding the metro area...and they'd want to at least make their money back. Government you say? We all pay for that then through higher taxes, levies and fees.
There has to be a balance. The mid ring 1950's suburbs could double in density without too many issues provided some safeguards were in place.
There needs to be more attention to inner suburban public transport, and cross suburban transport to prevent heavy reliance on already congested roads.
Existing homeowners can be encouraged via state government incentive to create hammer head/battle axe blocks, ie sub division cost rebates, tax concessions etc.
Local council can bring pressure/legislate local strip shop and commercial owners to upgrade facilities.
More promotion/ incentives of downsize developers and better promotion, compliance of building standards to reduce noise ie double glazing and insulation regulations.
Some decent size apartments in and near the CBD and metro CBD's that actually cater for small families, not just retirees and students, required by legislation as a percentage of all new developments.
There are elements of this happening already, but there needs to be a more co-ordinated approach by all the players involved, as it is all a bit ad-hock at the moment, and it is just easier for the developers to create a new suburb from a blank canvas. With Adelaides slow and steady growth, new sprawling suburbs should not be required at the current rate.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 74 times

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#20 Post by SBD » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Nathan wrote:Nothing to do with taste, they're badly designed and badly constructed. They're large to compensate for poor layouts, and built from cheap materials that offer sub-par heating and noise insulation. And since they're chosen out of a catalogue, are not designed to respond to their site.

Affordable housing is about compromise - what can be compromised on to bring down the cost. It seems we are willing to compromise on everything except house size - when really, once it meets a minimum size to be liveable, should be the first thing looked at to reduce costs.

Small cars do still cost. You still have to buy the things, and for people in this position that's often with a car loan, they still need to be registered, insured, maintained, fuelled, parked. And times that by however many people in the family drive. You also need yet again a larger home, because you need somewhere to put those cars at home as well.
There is no reason why "catalogue homes" in that estate cannot be chosen to suit the site. It is almost dead flat, and the streets are on the same alignments (I think) at Eyre, Almond Grove, Playford Alive, Andrews Farm, and a few other smaller developments and infill opportunities. The soil profile is predictable too. Blakeview Grove has a bit more slope, but the western side at least would also be similar enough that the slope is insignificant across a single block.

Being an early adopter means that bus routes are not yet reconfigured to cover that estate, and it could be a kilometre walk at the moment to the nearest bus stop (route 451 is a street or two away on the north and east sides). There is a problem with how long it is reasonable to run virtually empty buses to encourage people to decide not to own a car to build up the critical mass of customers needed to justify runnning buses. If people work, school and shop close enough to home, walking and cycling can be options that don't require so many cars too.

That said, I am puzzled that the only site plan for the new shopping centre that I have found so far appears to have the entrance to the building facing the car park, and the only entrances to the car park being from Stebonheath Road, not accessible from inside the Eyre development itself or off of Petherton Road (facing Andrews Farm).

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 26 times

[U/C] Re: Penfield Eyre Village Andrews Farm

#21 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Latest pics. Also the owners are looking for shops such as Seafood Take away, Chicken takeaway, pasta takeaway
Attachments
main.jpg
main.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 3656 times

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 74 times

[U/C] Re: Eyre Village, EYRE

#22 Post by SBD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 am

The section of Stebonheath Road in front of the carpark for this has been closed for a few days now, and the surface has been completely stripped to re-lay it.

City of Playford posted in the comments on its Facebook page that they are lobbying to have the Stebonheath and Womma Road intersection upgrade done sooner than was in the plan. This is a Good Thing.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 26 times

[U/C] Re: Eyre Village, EYRE

#23 Post by Eurostar » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 pm

According to the sign on front, it will be opening February 2018.

Its now 75% let :applause:

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 26 times

[U/C] Re: Eyre Village, EYRE

#24 Post by Eurostar » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Drake Foodland is now open. Great store layout, plenty of checkouts. The automatic doors should be looked at as they are temperamental.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:20 pm
Has thanked: 364 times
Been thanked: 37 times

[U/C] Re: Eyre Village, EYRE

#25 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:32 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm
Drake Foodland is now open. Great store layout, plenty of checkouts. The automatic doors should be looked at as they are temperamental.
Looks be similar to their recently opened Wayville Store. On a side note, given the extra emphasis on the Drakes branding at these two stores (and Drakes dropping the IGA tag in Queensland), I wonder if Drakes are going to drop the Foodland brand soon...

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 26 times

[U/C] Re: Eyre Village, EYRE

#26 Post by Eurostar » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Drakes and Cellarbrations opened so far, speciality shops are yet to open :applause:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1520233097858.jpg
FB_IMG_1520233097858.jpg (16.34 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
FB_IMG_1520233126832.jpg
FB_IMG_1520233126832.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
FB_IMG_1520233090210.jpg
FB_IMG_1520233090210.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 2549 times

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests