[PRO] 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bits
Legendary Member!

[PRO] [PRO] [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed Use

#16 Post by bits » Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Benm16 wrote:I live in Mclaren Vale because its in the country away from the suburbs, why are the suburbs here now?!
Many people want to have cheap land, houses built cheap with city services on the fringe of a city.

It is what has always driven urban sprawl.
Once it was Marion, then it was Noarlunga and now it is Aldinga.

Adelaide is too centred on the City of Adelaide and needs to develop satellite cities.
Maybe Aldinga can be it and McLaren Vale might be 10 minutes from 30 storey buildings.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed Use

#17 Post by [Shuz] » Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm

What sensationalist hysteria, calm your farm Ben16.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: [PRO] [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed Use

#18 Post by Eurostar » Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm

bits wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 pm
Benm16 wrote:I live in Mclaren Vale because its in the country away from the suburbs, why are the suburbs here now?!
Many people want to have cheap land, houses built cheap with city services on the fringe of a city.

Adelaide is too centred on the City of Adelaide and needs to develop satellite cities.
Maybe Aldinga can be it and McLaren Vale might be 10 minutes from 30 storey buildings.
The State Government should have branch line from Seaford Line to Willunga via McLaren Vale.

SBD

[PRO] Re: [PRO] [PRO] Re: [PRO] Re: 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed Use

#19 Post by SBD » Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:51 pm
bits wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:40 pm

The State Government should have branch line from Seaford Line to Willunga via McLaren Vale.
It could follow the path of the Coast to Vines Trail :banana:

Algernon

#20 Post by Algernon » Sun May 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Benm16 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm
This is complete BS, Why the F##k are they building apartments in Aldinga. Seriously Adelaide needs to stop urban sprawl, this is the last thing we need. Aldinga was once such a beautiful little country town away from the suburbs, now with the help of all the development there it is quickly turning into the next Morphett Vale and that sure is not a good thing.And yes no one is forcing me to live in one of these apartments but I am being forced to live near this crap. I live in Mclaren Vale because its in the country away from the suburbs, why are the suburbs here now?!
Because you moved there to be in the country away from the suburbs.

And now you're there, you've built the suburb, and it's no longer the country.

So you will move to Yankalilla to be in the country.

Then everyone there will build the suburb and it won't be in the country anymore.

So you will move into Deep Creek national park to be in the country.

Then when everyone is there...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[PRO] Re: 135 Aldinga Beach Road, Aldinga | ~18m | 6 Lvls | Mixed

#21 Post by rev » Mon May 28, 2018 10:08 am

Nathan wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 am
A helipad???
It's a retirement "village" by the sounds of it, so maybe they want to be able to have elderly residents air lifted quickly to hospital when needed?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#22 Post by rev » Mon May 28, 2018 10:13 am

Benm16 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 pm
This is complete BS, Why the F##k are they building apartments in Aldinga. Seriously Adelaide needs to stop urban sprawl, this is the last thing we need. Aldinga was once such a beautiful little country town away from the suburbs, now with the help of all the development there it is quickly turning into the next Morphett Vale and that sure is not a good thing.And yes no one is forcing me to live in one of these apartments but I am being forced to live near this crap. I live in Mclaren Vale because its in the country away from the suburbs, why are the suburbs here now?!
This sort of development actually reduces urban sprawl.

Adelaide was never a little country town. If you want to live in a little country town, then go find one and move to it. There's plenty that will never be impacted by the city's urban sprawl.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

Residents consider legal action over four-storey buildings approved for Aldinga Beach
Celeste Villani, [email protected], Southern Times Messenger
May 29, 2018 11:37am

A CONTROVERSIAL holiday, residential and retirement living development is on its way to Aldinga Beach, much to the disappointment of locals who fought to stop the proposal.

Now, some residents are considering legal action to have the decision overturned.

The State Commission Assessment Panel last week gave developer Winwest the green light to build four buildings on the corner of Rowley and Aldinga Beach roads.

The $46.8 million project – branded Latitude – will offer 62 short-stay accommodation units in a five-storey building that includes three commercial tenancies on the ground floor and a rooftop terrace.

There will be two four-storey buildings with 36 independent living units in each and a three-storey complex with 28 residential units.

Approval came despite strong opposition from local residents who said Latitude would block their views to the hills.

Winwest spokesman Nathan Paine said the project, to begin construction in mid to late 2019, was a boost for the area.

About 120 jobs would be created during construction, then 50 ongoing jobs afterwards.

“It is going to be a boom for the area and there will be more people on the ground, which will be great for the shopping centre across the road,” Mr Paine said.

“It will also be an architectural statement as an entry point into Aldinga Beach.

“So combine jobs with activity – and we think it’s going to be a great outcome.”

He said there was a shortage of retirement living in the area.

“Now people will not have to leave their community and their family,” Mr Paine said.

In November last year, the commission deferred making a decision on Winwest’s plan because it wanted it to “further consider” the proposal.

Winwest scaled back two buildings by a storey each, but residents have condemned the changes as minimal.

Under Onkaparinga Council’s development plan, the land earmarked for the buildings is zoned to allow buildings up to three storeys high.

Friends of Willunga Basin secretary David Gill presented a 70-signature petition of protest to Onkaparinga Council in November 2017.

He said the committee would now look into potential appeal options.

“We’re disappointed and frustrated,” Mr Gill said.

“It beggars belief that it seems that decisions are so often pro-development, and do not respect the views of residents.”

Aldinga Bay Residents Association president Bob Evans said the group might consider legal action and would discuss its option at a public meeting next month.

People living nearby would be “bloody disappointed” about their views being obstructed.

“They won’t be very happy because it is going to devalue their land,” Mr Evans said.

“It’s going to be like Surfers Paradise where they have a lovely beach and go put in high rises … so you can’t see the beach.”

Aldinga Bay Trade and Tourism Association chairwoman Hazel Wainwright said Latitude was a “double-edged sword”.

“I am in two minds because development is fantastic for the area, but I think five storeys is too intense,” Ms Wainwright said.

“It’s probably too soon … we don’t even have a train station down there yet.”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... ad9c3a2d76

I don't think a 4 storey building far from the beach compares to what they did on the Gold Coast :?

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Mpol03 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:13 am

Like Surfers Paradise? LOL those locals need to stop smoking the funky green.

bits
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by bits » Wed May 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Are they suggesting the land at Aldinga is worth more per square metre than land in Surfers Paradise?
It will devalue their land one sentence and then it is significantly improving the value of the land the next.

Algernon

#26 Post by Algernon » Wed May 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Fun fact.If you were to imagine Aldinga as being the city of Liverpool.......... Manchester would be in Elizabeth. Gawler... you're half way to Leeds. Yes, that's how insane the urban sprawl of Adelaide is.

Urban sprawl is created by low density development. It is negated by high density development. It's not urban planning theory, it's simple mathematics.