ONH: [Port Adelaide] Newport Quays | $1.2b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bva
High Rise Poster!

Re: #Redevelopment - Port Adelaide Waterfront $1.2billion

#136 Post by bva » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:17 pm

why should this building stand alone? I am not familiar with its history but wonder if it has always sat remote from other buildings in clear view or previously sat within a cluster of other buildings and structures? It is poor heritage planning to make a pariah of a building if it was never intended to be seen in this context, just as english planning guidance states "In general it is better that old buildings are not set apart, but are woven into the fabric of the living and working community". I agree that high design quality is necessary to provide an appropriate setting but talk of heritage precincts and selected viewing corridors demonstrates recognition of this. I think you should wait to see the next design stages, plus those images of the taller building awhile shows improved design intent. Maybe i am just an optimist.....

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#137 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 pm

I agree, bva. Why should Hart's Mill stand alone. It once had a few legs and arms in the immediate vicinity - an engine house etc.

The British and generally accepted planning approcah your quote illustrates is all about context and texture. If Hart's Mill is really all that can be kept and given an economic new life by adaptive re-use, then if there are new buildings around it they should at least harmonise with the old mill. There are various ways of achieving this - harmony of form, colour, texture etc.

Unfortuately, I think we'll have thin-walled apartments with random, coloured blades and frames here and there. A bit more money, a bit more imagination, and most of all a bit more willingness to take a risk, and it could be a gem.

As has been said before, no-one will cross the city let alone the planet to look at yet another boring, generic, cost-driven block of apartments whose sales are achieved by lots of advertising and the expectation of capital gain rather than the desire to live in a well-designed building that does its location proud.

I'm an optimnist too, bva. For example, I rave on and on in the confident hope that someone might agree with me. I'm just not very optimistic about the Port. Sorry.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#138 Post by Cruise » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:27 am

I can see Harts Mill loosing is stance in port adelaide anyway though wheather anything is built around it directly or not at all, there will be 12 story buildings accross the river, these will dwarf Harts Mill making the building lose its character. I hope that made sense, just my 2 bobs worths

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#139 Post by Pants » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:01 am

This may or may not be interesting:

http://www.the-port.com.au/pccg/downloa ... mework.pdf

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#140 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:54 pm

btw this development will now cost two billion dollars.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#141 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:26 am

Wow will there really be that many yachts floating around there?? heheh

Makes it look more like darling harbor!!

Looks very impressive and i HOPE that it actually will end up looking like that!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#142 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:36 am

I suspect that most of the 'yachts' will be powerboats. The challenge of getting a decent sized mast through first the Birkenhead Bridge with its limited opening times then under the low Third River Crossing with its limited opening times would be quite a gamble.

Increasing the clearance of the bridges was discussed in:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/tra ... ummary.pdf

but the idea has apparently been dropped (govt and developer unwilling to spend the money), along woth the mooted heritage listing of Wharf Shed 5, now demolished (developer insisted on demolition to enable more residential construction on profitability grounds).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#143 Post by AtD » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:35 pm

Stumpjumper, I can't see any yachts ever in the Newport Quays development, it's on the wrong side of the Jervois Bridge!

Anyway, photos from today. Since UrbanSG has been keeping us all up to date on the city's developments, I thought I'd tackle the suburbs.

urban
Legendary Member!

#144 Post by urban » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:05 pm

2nd to last photo in Adam's set:

If they had allowed space around the train station for a single depth of commercial usage they could have sold the townhouses for more money because it would have blocked out the train noise.

Construct over the train line you could get a couple of hundred extra apartments/commercial tenancies while connecting the adjoining suburb to the waterfront. Win for everyone especially public transport.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#145 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:24 pm

I don't think the area is busy enough to support commercial tennancies. There's not much around except low-income residential, and is a long way from the centre of Port Adelaide. There's a pub on the other side of the bridge, and that's it. Once the Expressway is open, there'd be a fair amount less road traffic as well. Even once this development is complete, it'd still probably be too quiet to support much at all.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#146 Post by rhino » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Commercial development in the way of a post office, a super deli / small supermarket, service station (that actually does services), cafe, take-away food(fish'n'chip shop), speciality food store (eg Lennards or Bakers Delight), chemist, newsagent are all commercial tennancies that would work in such a position. Take a look at what works right outside the train stations in Sydney and Melbourne.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#147 Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:05 pm

really there is no service station in port adelaide at all so if your power boat does break down you really would have trouble getting fuel

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:27 pm

rhino wrote:Commercial development in the way of a post office, a super deli / small supermarket, service station (that actually does services), cafe, take-away food(fish'n'chip shop), speciality food store (eg Lennards or Bakers Delight), chemist, newsagent are all commercial tennancies that would work in such a position. Take a look at what works right outside the train stations in Sydney and Melbourne.
Have you been to Newport Quays, aka Ethelton? As I said, the area's very quiet. Glanville Station could possibly support such things once the high rises are built, but Ethelton Station couldn't. They’re both right on top of each other, so it couldn’t happen at both.

urban
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by urban » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:46 pm

AtD wrote:Have you been to Newport Quays, aka Ethelton? As I said, the area's very quiet. Glanville Station could possibly support such things once the high rises are built, but Ethelton Station couldn't. They’re both right on top of each other, so it couldn’t happen at both.
In a car dominated city this won't work but if the stations are made to be welcoming spaces which are well connected to the nearby residential areas there are easily enough people just in the adjacent new development to support a commercial precinct.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#150 Post by AtD » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:06 pm

urban wrote:In a car dominated city this won't work but if the stations are made to be welcoming spaces which are well connected to the nearby residential areas there are easily enough people just in the adjacent new development to support a commercial precinct.
I disagree, there wouldn't be enough people in Newport Quays. A Woolworths, for example, needs over 2000 customers per day to justify continued operations. To the direct west of the station is low density, low income housing. If you mean the entire Port Adelaide development, then maybe, but as I said, it’d be better suited at Glanville rather than Ethelton.

But you're correct, if the entire structure of the urban environment drastically changed overnight, it could support a retail precinct. How silly of the developers not to cater for this. :lol: