COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

#1 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:51 am

Anyone have any idea of the likely operator?

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by Algernon » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 am

Build first, worry about accessibility later. Car dominated crap.

The 4WDers who run Adelaide from the Parade will love it.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by aussie2000 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:00 pm

WHAT THE, have i missed something here?

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Ho Really » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Algernon wrote:The 4WDers who run Adelaide from the Parade will love it.
Can you tell us who these people are? Curious.

Cheers

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Al » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Algernon wrote:Build first, worry about accessibility later. Car dominated crap.

The 4WDers who run Adelaide from the Parade will love it.
Easy there. I drive a 4WD, if only a miniature one.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:35 am

By "Big new supermarket" are we talking about a BIG Supermarket, or just an average Adelaide-sized one?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: Big new supermarket next to Harbourtown...

#7 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Looks like land has been cleared and roped off today, ready for construction to commence.

I can't see it being a particularly big supermarket given the size of the land though. Just average at best. Nothing to get particularly excited about.

Personally I'm not sure it's a good idea, as a supermarket will only add to the problem of the already overcrowded carpark and traffic congestion on tapleys hill road. They at least need to significantly increase the number of carparking spaces.

On the other hand it's possible that is exactly what they're doing right now, and they're not actually going to be building a supermarket at all???

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Düsseldorfer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 am

Fingers crossed that its an Aldi Süd or Lidl...and yes i would drive all that way...

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by JamesXander » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:19 pm

Family owns a shop at Habourtown. They are very shortsighted there. Always run out of Carparks during peak periods...yet they build a supermarket on the remaining land. Its going to be hell Christmas 2008.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:34 pm

While I suppose airport safety rules mean they can't build a carpark too far upwards to keep cars close to shopping I wonder what the economics of going to existing roof level would be , assuming they could get at least 2 levels that way, or maybe 2 plus roof deck parking.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:23 pm

it would make the place look even worse than it already does from outside

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Burger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:23 am

I was told some time ago by someone very close to Lewis Land (the owners) that it would be a Woolies. And the indication was that it would just be a regular Adelaide-sized one with some more traditional retail leading to it. I know the new CM there so might have to ask him the question.

Would be good if an Aldi did go there - it would be about the only place in the development actually selling discounted stock! And it would shake up the big two supermarket players with their pathetic offers in Adelaide as well.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by stumpjumper » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Speaking of Woolies - I do a bit of shopping at Regency Plaza - that's across the road from NorthPark. Woolworths have a big, busy supermarket at NorthPark with Coles, and I'd say Woolies are sitting axcross the road just to keep anyone else (like Aldi) out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Coles was paying 1/2 Woolies' rent to be the dog in the manger.

As a result, the shop is always very quiet, while the prices are the same, with big reductions on perishables nearing use by date every day. There are never any merchandisers, free samples etc, so the trade knows all about the low turnover there. The store must run at a loss. Very cheap and relaxed shopping. It's also open until 9pm every night, and during the day on Saturday and Sunday.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Shuz » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Harbourtown is already overcrowded, why worsen the situation by placing another supermarket to the locality, when already you have a Foodland on Burbidge Road or the Coles down at Glenelg. Woolworths already has an establishment at Glenelg, and I doubt the placement of a supermarket at that locality will draw a large customer base from the area (servicing only West Beach residents). Placing a supermarket (let alone the rest of Harbourtown) in the alignment of the 3rd runway was just ridiculous, and pratically forces the airport to handle the limitations it has as it is. It cannot be expanded, which pratically renders the upgrade useless and in the long-term future (40-50 years) will seek relocation elsewhere to our far northern or southern suburbs. Minus the situation we have regarding height limitations, Adelaide is fortunate to have an airport so close to the CBD and any attempt to limit its expansion oppurtunites (Harbourtown noted) is detrimental to its future.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:03 pm

I totally agree. I cannot understand why Harbourtown, Ikea or the new business park were ever allowed to be built on airport land. I like all these developments, but the airport is not the right place for them. As you said, airports always need to expand, and by building more and more commercial buildings on the land they are severely limiting the opportunities to do so. Seems very short sighted. I wonder if there is some sort of contract between Adelaide airport and these businesses that gives the airport the right to evict them and demolish their buildings when the time comes to expand the airport / runways? I would imagine there is, but enforcing it anytime in the next 20 years or so would be next to impossible given the scale of these developments.