COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: #U/C: Harbourtown | Stage 3 Expansion

#76 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Often when you see several shops in a centre all close around the same time, it's because it's the end of their lease. It may well be they all signed up for a lease of the same amount of time and at the same time (possibly when Harbourtwon first opened, I don't know).

Several of them might be end of lease, and some might be moving into the new section.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:41 pm

I just checked the pics I took today, and the old Woolworths sign above the new entrance has been replaced with
the new logo. That was a quick change!

Xaragmata

#78 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 pm

pushbutton wrote:Often when you see several shops in a centre all close around the same time, it's because it's the end of their lease. It may well be they all signed up for a lease of the same amount of time and at the same time (possibly when Harbourtwon first opened, I don't know).

Several of them might be end of lease, and some might be moving into the new section.
That makes sense - I didn't make a note of which ones are closing. Most of the shops seem to be
thriving - I doubt the owners will have trouble finding new tenants.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Xaragmata wrote:I just checked the pics I took today, and the old Woolworths sign above the new entrance has been replaced with
Good but weird! Why would they put the old one up first? Surely it must have cost them for the wasted sign which presumably they won't be able to use now.
Last edited by pushbutton on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by pushbutton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Xaragmata wrote:I just checked the pics I took today, and the old Woolworths sign above the new entrance has been replaced with
Any chance of uploading the photos you took today so I can see how it looks with the new logo there?

Xaragmata

#81 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:26 am

pushbutton wrote:
Any chance of uploading the photos you took today so I can see how it looks with the new logo there?
I'll do a rough one and post it shortly.

Xaragmata

#82 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:39 am

The old logo - Thursday

The new logo - Friday (looks better!)

Completed Woolworths signage on northern end of building - Friday

Last edited by Xaragmata on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 am

Looks good, although they could have made more effort with the look of those exterior walls. It makes no pretence at being anything other than a slab of pre-cast concrete painted, of all boring colours, grey!

nevillness
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by nevillness » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Woolworths are going to progressively re-brand stores with the new logo as they are converted to the new 2010 format. As the name suggests they plan to convert all stores by 2010, which is mighty ambitious, and probably won’t be achieved though they will get a majority of the stores done.

There are quite a few 2010 stores around Adelaide already (eg Mitcham, Marion, Unley), which were converted before the new logo was launched. They will probably get re-branded after Christmas.

Its strange that Harbourtown had both logos up but understandable in a large company – small details are easily overlooked and it sometimes takes a while for the right hand to know what the left hand is doing.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:36 pm

pushbutton wrote:Looks good, although they could have made more effort with the look of those exterior walls. It makes no pretence at being anything other than a slab of pre-cast concrete painted, of all boring colours, grey!
Harbourtown as a whole (hole?) is very introverted. All the decore is concentrated inside the mall. The carpark enjoys great expanses of window and doorless walls for most of the façade. In terms of destination shopping this place ticks all the boxes. Its in the middle of nowhere, you need to walk quite a way toward the beach to find any homes. Very car dependent.

And after all the promotions -- it's not even a proper outlet mall. Just a set of standard retailers who are on "sale" all the time.

Mono is not impressed with this development on any of its promises.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:17 pm

I agree mono. I haven't found shops at Harbourtown to be significantly cheaper than anywhere else. I was just thinking a similar thing today when I went to have a look and saw they're opening a Designer Direct "Clearance" store there. I thought Designer Direct was supposed to be a clearance store anyway at all its shops!

Doesn't "DIRECT" imply direct from the factory (eg. supposedly cheap)?

So if the one at Harbourtown is a "Clearance" then what are the other stores?

That's just one store at Harbourtown I know, but as I say I don't find any of them all that cheap.

I think when they first opened the Adelaide Harbourtown, it was advertised as being "up to 60% cheaper" than normal retail prices (not sure of the exact percentage). The key to understanding this is to make sure you pay attention to the "up to" bit!

In my opinion Harbourtown is like the 'temporary' short term shops you sometimes see in malls that are there just until the centre can find a new permanent tenant. Therefore they don't bother to spend much on fitting out the shop and just have bare concrete floors, no ceilings, cheap signage and simplistic fittings and fixtures. Except at Harbourtown ALL the shops are like that!

The only thing I think it has going for it in all honesty is that it's an open air mall, but yet it's a managed and purpose built shopping centre, and in that sense it's unique in Adelaide and more or less unique in other states.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by AtD » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:08 pm

One of the strangest things about Harbour Town is buses servicing the area have to go on yet another time wasting detour. I don't see why buses can't stop on Tapleys Hill Road and a pedestrian crossing be installed.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#88 Post by pushbutton » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:13 pm

I guess the owners just wanted public transport to be as convenient as possible for customers. I agree though if they'd just put in a bus stop 'layby' area adjacent to Tapleys Hill Road (and there's plenty of room for one) and a good pedestrian path from there to the nearest entry, it would have been almost just as good for customers and would have meant probably a significantly less delay for other passengers on the buses.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#89 Post by crawf » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

I went to Harbourtown today and the new carpark was pretty much full already, hate to see what its going to be like when the new Woolworths store opens.

BTW I love the new logo
AtD wrote:One of the strangest things about Harbour Town is buses servicing the area have to go on yet another time wasting detour. I don't see why buses can't stop on Tapleys Hill Road and a pedestrian crossing be installed.
But you gotta remember this is Australia, we are to lazy to walk!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#90 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:31 am

Apparently this Woolies will be open 24/7.