COM: Harbourtown Stage 3 Expansion

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

Re: #COM: Harbourtown | Stage 3 Expansion

#121 Post by JamesXander » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:00 pm

I've heard another rumour that Woolworths new business enterprise, the Tool Box (?), their answer to Bunnings, will take over from Woolworths within the next 12 months?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#122 Post by Prince George » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:13 am

JamesXander wrote:I've heard another rumour that Woolworths new business enterprise, the Tool Box (?), their answer to Bunnings, will take over from Woolworths within the next 12 months?
This is probably the joint venture between Woolworths and the American hardware mega-chain Lowe's. The partnership announced a takeover bid for the hardware suppliers Danks who operate (I believe) Home Hardware and Thrifty Link; the ACCC OK'd the takeover last month. Let us welcome our new big-box overlords!

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#123 Post by Queen Anne » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:15 am

Prince George wrote: Let us welcome our new big-box overlords!
Lol, not me! Living in America has had a life changing impact on me - it truly hurts my soul to see whole landscapes here devoted to these chains. So, I am never entering a big box store again, as long as I live. If I die for want of a cheap outdoor setting, or a flatpack wardrobe, or toilet paper by the ton, so be it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by Ben » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:18 pm

Woolworths is not moving. This store is actually quite profitable. Woolworths would rather keep this site at a loss then let a competitor take it over, but that simply is not the case.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#125 Post by fabricator » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:22 am

Yeah sounds typical, Ingle Farm shopping centre is a good example of this sort of thing. Tiny mall but has two Coles supermarkets, one is an ex Bilo.

Queen Anne I couldn't agree more. I hate massive stores, you have to walk miles to find what you want, but there doesn't seem to be any more stuff than a normal sized shop. Its a monument to too much money and profit.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

metro
Legendary Member!

#126 Post by metro » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:49 pm

fabricator wrote:Tiny mall but has two Coles supermarkets, one is an ex Bilo.
sounds like Northpark and Sefton Park with its 2 woolworths supermarkets, one on each side of main north road.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#127 Post by JamesXander » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Just an inside update on this centre.

HarbourTown is having lots of issues. Almost the entire Southern end (stage 2) is coming up for re-leasing this year. And sales at HarbourTown have been sliding for years. So many shops may close. Indeed apparently alot of the shops are going to put money together and get stuck into the centre management about the way the centre is run (through a lawyer).

For mine they need to do three things.

1. Close one of the entrances near the northern, newer end. To make the centre a two entrance centre again.
2. Make sure that all the shops are cheaper then their generic counterparts in the suburbs
3. Pray to god Woolworths does close down, and that a cheaper supermarket opens

Its also interesting to note that Melbournes HarbourTown is also struggling, after the 'Wheelchair' malfunctions. Apparently our Victorians Harbourtownites are also on huge rents aswell, with very little foot traffic (they are up against the well established DFO's over there) because of the loss of the wheel chair drawcard.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Harbourtown were planning on opening a complex here in Darwin but the GFC ended that.

Harbourtown is rubbish, wish DFO would open up in Adelaide.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by pushbutton » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:53 pm

JamesXander, I'm curious as to why you think closing one of the entrances would improve Harbourtown?

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#130 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:21 am

pushbutton wrote:JamesXander, I'm curious as to why you think closing one of the entrances would improve Harbourtown?
I would prefer an additional entrance, by opening the existing admin entrance to the public - the more time people spend walking past blank external walls, the less time they spend looking at shops & perhaps buying things.

skyliner

#131 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:29 pm

crawf wrote:Harbourtown were planning on opening a complex here in Darwin but the GFC ended that.

Harbourtown is rubbish, wish DFO would open up in Adelaide.
DFO would be would be a good addition to Harbourtown - the only trouble being the ensuing price wars and who would be left standing.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

The Scooter Guy

#132 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:06 am

What about Designer Direct? It only lasted a few months ago and then, like Xaragma said, it's being taken over by an interstate firm.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#133 Post by Straze » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:10 pm

I am glad to see Designer Direct closing down forever, i have browsed there and found it not that cheap at all, it was a store of gimmicks. Anyway if DFO did come to Adelaide where do you think it should be.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

Nathan

#134 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Straze wrote:I am glad to see Designer Direct closing down forever, i have browsed there and found it not that cheap at all, it was a store of gimmicks. Anyway if DFO did come to Adelaide where do you think it should be.
I'm glad too. It excruciating seeing how long they drag out this ridiculous closing down sale. I refuse to shop at any store that advertises like that as a matter of principle.

The Scooter Guy

#135 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm

skyliner wrote:DFO would be would be a good addition to Harbourtown - the only trouble being the ensuing price wars and who would be left standing.
What does DFO stand for?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/