[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

[PRO] Re: APP: Westfield Marion Expansion | $350m

#466 Post by JamesXander » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 am

Jeez Universal must be having a few second thoughts after Lives exit.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#467 Post by Ben » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:51 am

JamesXander wrote:Jeez Universal must be having a few second thoughts after Lives exit.
Yes and No. 2 of their comptitors just closed (Globalize and LIVE) so I see it as an opportunity for them. But your right it could mean they aren't doing that well but from my chats with people in these stores the reason they are all closing is not because they aren't doing well, but because the leases are all coming up and Westfield are increasing them by exorbant amounts that they just can't risk accepting.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#468 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Mathers has unexpectedly closed.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#469 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 pm

Unexpectedly?

With the rents Westfield charge, it's fair to expect that any store which closes is because of that.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#470 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:08 am

Marion was the last Mathers store in SA.
I would suggest they closed it because the lease had expired and the store wasn't profitable.
Due to ecomomies of scale it would be hard to make a single store in SA profitable.
Based on what I have read, Fusion Brands (owner of Mathers) has been struggling for a while.
I wonder how long they will keep their Jag store open at Marion?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#471 Post by Ben » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 am

T2 are opening where Mathers was. Bonds opened last Thursday and Kate Hill is opening in half of the former Terry White Chemist.

Live closes this Saturday and has a big sale for anyone interested.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#472 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm

In what I consider a bizarre move, Jeans West are going where Live used to be. I thought this was the "showcase youth" area of the mall. Maybe Jay Jays will move where General Pants or Nike is and Best and Less will take over the cinema..

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#473 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Paid parking reprieve for Marion shoppers as Westfield delays $350 million upgrade by up to two years

WESTFIELD Marion will delay an upgrade to the Oaklands Park centre - which includes the introduction of paid parking - by up to two years.

The $350 million expansion will add about 65? shops across two levels, 10 restaurants and cafes and more than 1000 extra parking spaces.

Marion Mayor Felicity-ann Lewis said the State's peak planning body, the Development Assessment Commission had granted a two-year extension to the redevelopment of the centre, including the installation of boom gates.

Under the new agreement, the boom gates would need to be substantially installed by October 2015 and completed by October 2017.

When the commission approved boom gates and ticketing machines at the centre last year, the agreement was for the gates to be completed by 2015.

more

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#474 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Upmarket Japenese chocolate store Royce opened in Marion today. It could be their first store in Australia as I couldn't find any others when looking online.

I found an American site.

http://royceconfectusa.com/locations/

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#475 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Ben wrote:Upmarket Japenese chocolate store Royce opened in Marion today. It could be their first store in Australia as I couldn't find any others when looking online.

Yes, first Australian store:
http://www.royceaustraliapacific.com

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#476 Post by pushbutton » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:58 pm

Ben wrote:Upmarket Japenese chocolate store Royce opened in Marion today. It could be their first store in Australia as I couldn't find any others when looking online.

I noticed this soon after it opened and thought at first that it was yet another jewellery store (it does look like one). As I thought to myself "great, just what we need" I noticed that the products were not actually jewellery at all, but something much more interesting!

I went in and was given numerous samples and must say, whilst it's definitely not something I could justify buying frequently, their products would make great gifts for anyone who likes chocolate (so for anyone at all) and I will certainly be buying them for that purpose when birthdays come around.

The chocolate products I sampled were genuinely surprising. I had expected them to be just like any other ordinary chocolates, and very nice but not worth the prices they were charging. I was wrong! Their chocolates are genuinely different to any I've tasted before. Hard to describe but for a start they're noticeably smoother and creamier.

If you haven't yet tried it, it is well worth doing so. Just ask for a sample, then to help you make up your mind ask for another sample, and another one, and... well, you decide how many you can get away with!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#477 Post by Ben » Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 am

Bevilles, Blossom, Jeansweast 2nd store, Lenards and Alternative U have all closed.

Honey Birdette is opening as well as at West lakes, TTP and the Myer centre. They claim to be upmarket lengerie/Adult Toys, not sure if these stores are appropriate in surburban malls?

Other than this a Sushi shop is opening and 2 x massage places. Nothing exciting.

stronic
High Rise Poster!

#478 Post by stronic » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 am

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
Paid parking reprieve for Marion shoppers as Westfield delays $350 million upgrade by up to two years

WESTFIELD Marion will delay an upgrade to the Oaklands Park centre - which includes the introduction of paid parking - by up to two years.

The $350 million expansion will add about 65? shops across two levels, 10 restaurants and cafes and more than 1000 extra parking spaces.

Marion Mayor Felicity-ann Lewis said the State's peak planning body, the Development Assessment Commission had granted a two-year extension to the redevelopment of the centre, including the installation of boom gates.

Under the new agreement, the boom gates would need to be substantially installed by October 2015 and completed by October 2017.

When the commission approved boom gates and ticketing machines at the centre last year, the agreement was for the gates to be completed by 2015.

more
Ah delayed - in the true tradition of all Adelaide development. :lol:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#479 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:25 pm

stronic wrote:
Port Adelaide Fan wrote:

more
Ah delayed - in the true tradition of all Adelaide development. :lol:
There's a big sign up on West Lakes Blvd saying "Retirement village coming soon".

The sign was put up in 2007 and they haven't even started construction! If and when they finally build it, any elderly people who did sign up will probably no longer need somewhere to live!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#480 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Ben wrote:Bevilles, Blossom, Jeansweast 2nd store, Lenards and Alternative U have all closed.

Honey Birdette is opening as well as at West lakes, TTP and the Myer centre. They claim to be upmarket lengerie/Adult Toys, not sure if these stores are appropriate in surburban malls?

Other than this a Sushi shop is opening and 2 x massage places. Nothing exciting.
I agree there's nothing particularly exciting about any of that, but out of sheer curiosity can I ask what you would regard as exciting if it opened at Westfield Marion?