[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion Expansion | $350m

#511 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 am

crawf wrote:
claybro wrote:The centre should be expanding northward, incorporating the civic centre, the swimming centre, and eventually join up with a bus and train interchange at the diagonal road crossing with the elevated station and overpass plan. Make it a mini cbd. The whole area north of the centre is a dogs breakfast at present with no real focus, and no connectivity between the train station, shopping centre, public facilities and bus stop area.
It was a mistake building the state aquatic centre there and not closer to the city.

On the upside SA finally got an outstanding swimming facility that has already attracted national and international competitions.
Agreed. They should have built it at Mile End. Here's hoping they rectify this when we eventually host the Commonwealth Games and the centre requires a rebuild.

The train-line should be re-directed, won't happen because we haven't the money to even electrify the remaining network but in an ideal World that's what should happen.

ChillyPhilly

#512 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:04 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
crawf wrote:
claybro wrote:The centre should be expanding northward, incorporating the civic centre, the swimming centre, and eventually join up with a bus and train interchange at the diagonal road crossing with the elevated station and overpass plan. Make it a mini cbd. The whole area north of the centre is a dogs breakfast at present with no real focus, and no connectivity between the train station, shopping centre, public facilities and bus stop area.
It was a mistake building the state aquatic centre there and not closer to the city.

On the upside SA finally got an outstanding swimming facility that has already attracted national and international competitions.
Agreed. They should have built it at Mile End. Here's hoping they rectify this when we eventually host the Commonwealth Games and the centre requires a rebuild.

The train-line should be re-directed, won't happen because we haven't the money to even electrify the remaining network but in an ideal World that's what should happen.
How/where would you redirect it? Care to kindly draw up a map? Genuinely curious.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#513 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:How/where would you redirect it? Care to kindly draw up a map? Genuinely curious.
Underground approx. 500m of it, including an underground station below the Westfield carpark. It was done here in Perth on the Fremantle line, where the section thru Subiaco was sunk by cut and cover method. Mostly in the path of some dilapidated buildings. The area around the station is now a shopping and civic square with the station just below ground level. The remaining length of undergrounded section became partly a green strip park, with adjacent medium density housing, and some low rise office buildings above the rest, new road alignments etc. You can see it all on google maps. The cost of this at Oaklands, could be partly offset by selling off the land where the existing train line runs once it is moved closer to the Westfield complex.

ChillyPhilly

#514 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I do like Subiaco as a TOD.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#515 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:22 pm

First look at Westfield Marion’s planned new food precinct.

WESTFIELD has released new artist’s impressions of how its planned fresh precinct at Marion shopping centre will look, as work continues on the $350 million development.

The detailed designs show a self-serve, open-plan food court with tables and seating.

The fresh food precinct is expected to be finished in August next year, and is the first stage of a $350 million centre redevelopment.

It is a 3000sq m expansion of the centre’s western end and will replace 168 of the centre’s 5549 carparks.

Centre staff have been parking off site at Club Marion on Sturt Rd, to ensure there were still car spaces available to customers.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 876231c301
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

ChillyPhilly

#517 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:23 am

I like what I see. Concur with you, Crawf.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#518 Post by ml69 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 am

crawf wrote:Looks pretty sleek! Very industrial!

Hope this style is used through the entire centre revamp.
I really like it too. But I think you will probably find that this aesthetic will only be used in the fresh food extension to give it a rustic, warehousey market feel.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#519 Post by neoballmon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 am

Yeah it's the same look they've gone for with the Colonnades marketplace expansion and I don't believe there are any plans to extend it through the centre either.

Looks very nice though.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#520 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:10 pm

They've taken a lot of parks away near the Big W entrance - not good round Xmas time :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#521 Post by Allkai » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:31 am

ml69 wrote:But I think you will probably find that this aesthetic will only be used in the fresh food extension to give it a rustic, warehousey market feel.
Yep, looks very similar in style to the Food Hall section of Westfield Miranda that i visited recently.

Scottyj77
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#522 Post by Scottyj77 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Check this out. It's from the Westfield corporate site. Shows what 'may' possibly be the three stages?

https://eamonwalford.files.wordpress.co ... tage-2.jpg

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#523 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Scottyj77 wrote:Check this out. It's from the Westfield corporate site. Shows what 'may' possibly be the three stages?

https://eamonwalford.files.wordpress.co ... tage-2.jpg
That really shows the enormity of the proposal.

Only thing is, is there going to be a connection to 'The Boulevard' to prevent a repeat of Tea Tree Plus

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#524 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:35 pm

Construction of the Aldi and Fresh Food precinct is progressing. A large amount of fill has been brought in to raise the floor level to that of the existing mall, external walls are beginning to be constructed, initial preperation for the slab is underway and the last remnants of the carpark will be removed during the week.

No photos unfortunately, I'll try to grab some during the week.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

mike25
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#525 Post by mike25 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:56 pm

So after as many years I can remember Hungry Jacks is no longer a part of Marion. Moved to its current location almost 20 years ago after the big upgrade after being on the old bus terminal side throughout my youth. Saw a pic on instragram from the store saying closed permanently as of Monday.

Anyone know the reason or what might be taking its place?