[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

#1 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:10 am

Westfield has recentely announced that they plan to expand the Marion Shoppingtown for a fourth time, it is unknown what westfields exact plans are, but members please discuss, what you think the expansion will add to marion and what you think needs to be added to Marion.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#2 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:35 pm

As I've said in the other Westfield thread, I would like to see it not so much increased in size as improved in quality.

Much more parking is needed and the food court is usually hopelessly overcrowded, so I suggest a need for a multi-storey carpark, or a couple of them maybe one either end of the centre, plus maybe a second food court perhaps on the lower level and at the opposite end of the centre (would mean moving Woolworths again probably but could be done)

In terms of facilities maybe it could handle another 60-90 specialties. There's no need for any more majors in my view but I would like to see more entertainment / leisure facilities, such as an indoor theme-park or swimming centre.

I know there has been an extremely half-hearted plan to build a swimming centre next to Westfield, but why not inside Westfield, it would get a lot mroe use and really add something different and enjoyable to the centre.

Given the size and popularity of Marion, maybe it could become Adelaides first centre with permanently extended trading hours (open 8am to 9pm every weekday, as already allowed under current trading regulations)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#3 Post by crawf » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:30 am

Marions already got all the majors such as

Myer
David Jones
Harris Scrafe
Target
K Mart
Big W
Woolworths
Coles
Bunnings Warehouse
Greater Union Cinemas
Rebel Sport
Best & Less
Lincraft

and more...

Edgar
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#4 Post by Edgar » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:16 pm

Sorry I casted my vote as yes just to realised later that it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

Now I would vote NO. We dont need another Westfield Marion expansion, we need another Westfield mall expansion to other surburbs!

There isn't much space left at the Westfield Marion, expanding it will make it over-crowded for the already not-very-much-available-space.

I think opening a new mall would be a better idea, at least there will be more malls to go to, instead of Marion every Thursday night.

By the way, I havent eaten any food that I would consider as 'Nice' from the food court, ever.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#5 Post by Redback20 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:48 pm

pushbutton wrote:As I've said in the other Westfield thread, I would like to see it not so much increased in size as improved in quality.

Much more parking is needed and the food court is usually hopelessly overcrowded, so I suggest a need for a multi-storey carpark, or a couple of them maybe one either end of the centre, plus maybe a second food court perhaps on the lower level and at the opposite end of the centre (would mean moving Woolworths again probably but could be done)

In terms of facilities maybe it could handle another 60-90 specialties. There's no need for any more majors in my view but I would like to see more entertainment / leisure facilities, such as an indoor theme-park or swimming centre.

I know there has been an extremely half-hearted plan to build a swimming centre next to Westfield, but why not inside Westfield, it would get a lot mroe use and really add something different and enjoyable to the centre.

Given the size and popularity of Marion, maybe it could become Adelaides first centre with permanently extended trading hours (open 8am to 9pm every weekday, as already allowed under current trading regulations)
I don't think the swimming plans are half-hearted Pushbutton, as far as I'm aware the State Aquatic Centre is nailed on for Morphett Rd/Diagonal Rd and by state govt funding, work starts this year i believe? And site clearance for the associated Oaklands transport interchange was done a few months ago.

Another multi-storey CP will be required tho once the SAC is built.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#6 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:45 pm

And site clearance for the associated Oaklands transport interchange was done a few months ago.

thankgod for that. the current oaklands station, is one of the worst stations in Adelaide.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#7 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:05 pm

I didn't necessarily mean half-hearted as in not a good design, I just meant that the sign has been up for literally YEARS and nothing has happened!

If something is finally going to happen this year that would be a great relief!

Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#8 Post by Maximus_Marc » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:23 pm

this isn't needed. and i can imagine a lot of money is going to be used but it would be good money being put to bad use.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#9 Post by crawf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:09 am

pushbutton wrote:I didn't necessarily mean half-hearted as in not a good design, I just meant that the sign has been up for literally YEARS and nothing has happened!

If something is finally going to happen this year that would be a great relief!
Well the project was only approved just a year ago...

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

[PRO]

#10 Post by littledyl16 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:11 am

i have to agree with crawf, marion has so many majors, it has about 30,000+ shoppers a day, i think the money could be better used, by constructing a new complex, somewhere else in the city, ttp will not need an expansion after the current project is finished, and i dont think west lakes needs expanding as yet, maybe a complex could be built in the eastern suburbs, not as large as ttp or marion but enough to cater for the population of the surrounding suburbs. probably something smaller, probably about 100-130 spec, 2 supermarkets, 2-3 dept stores, but maybe you guys have better and brighter ideas then me.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#11 Post by AtD » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:15 am

This is the private sector, not a public project. Whether or not it "needs" an expansion is irrelevant, the issue is if it can profit from an expansion or not!

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#12 Post by Pikey » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:06 pm

As far as I can gather, the new section of marion will be built on the upper carpark level, adjacent to Kmart, with Kmartloosing their tyre & Auto section, and the mall being continued in a "dog leg" fashion, in a western direction.
The redevelopment also includes recladding of the old Myer & David Jones Sections of the Centre, The office tower being reclad, and the construction of a 3 level carpark.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO]

#13 Post by crawf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 pm

littledyl16 wrote:i have to agree with crawf, marion has so many majors, it has about 30,000+ shoppers a day, i think the money could be better used, by constructing a new complex, somewhere else in the city, ttp will not need an expansion after the current project is finished, and i dont think west lakes needs expanding as yet, maybe a complex could be

I think you mean the other guy mate, im all up this project. Wouldnt hurt for Marion to be expanded again.
built in the eastern suburbs, not as large as ttp or marion but enough to cater for the population of the surrounding suburbs. probably something smaller, probably about 100-130 spec, 2 supermarkets, 2-3 dept stores, but maybe you guys have better and brighter ideas then me.
A large shopping centre isnt needed in the eastern suburbs. The east already has Burnside Village, Norwood Parade and a few more plus the city is just down the road.
Pikey wrote:As far as I can gather, the new section of marion will be built on the upper carpark level, adjacent to Kmart, with Kmartloosing their tyre & Auto section, and the mall being continued in a "dog leg" fashion, in a western direction.
The redevelopment also includes recladding of the old Myer & David Jones Sections of the Centre, The office tower being reclad, and the construction of a 3 level carpark.
sounds good, hopefully they will give Myer & David Jones a bit of a makeover aswell.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

[PRO]

#14 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:11 am

I think we should re-focus on the CBD rather than beefing up these already huge suburban centres that give people no incentive to come into the city.

It's not going to happen though, as it's private money and the centres are obviously spinning huge wads of cash, so further development's inevitable.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[PRO]

#15 Post by pushbutton » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:09 am

Pants, I am just curious why it is that some people make comments exactly like the one you have just made about suburban centres shouldn't get bigger because it discourages people from shopping in the city.

WHY is it that you would like people to be encouraged to shop in the city, rather than the suburbs?