[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re:

#616 Post by claybro » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Pants wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:11 am
I think we should re-focus on the CBD rather than beefing up these already huge suburban centres that give people no incentive to come into the city.

It's not going to happen though, as it's private money and the centres are obviously spinning huge wads of cash, so further development's inevitable.
It should not be an either/or thing. The CBD population needs a concerted effort to continue to grow rapidly, so the services in the CBD have a resident market beside lunch time shoppers. The suburban centres likewise should be surrounded by high density housing, and good transport links to other centres and the CBD and continue to grow. The problem is continuing to build NEW massive centres, when already existing ones (like Kilkenny) are under utilised and falling behind, and in the case of Kilkenny surrounded by ex industrial wasteland and low density- same as for Castle Plaza etc.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (Extension)

#617 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Here's my guess
(from largest to smallest mini majors)
1. H&M
2. Uniqlo
3. JD Sports
4. JB Hifi
5. Best and Less
6. Sephora

This could be completely wrong, though I reckon the first two will be H&M and Uniqlo. Perfect combination.

[Shuz]

#618 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Um, given Big W is losing their space, I would have thought they'd have the rights to a new space?

Also, is Foodland at Marion? If not, they would be well placed to set up shop there.

I think people are getting way ahead of themselves in terms of Zara and H&M...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

applecider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#619 Post by applecider » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm
Also, is Foodland at Marion? If not, they would be well placed to set up shop there.
Foodland used to be at Marion, but was lost in the last redevelopment. Still it would be good to see them return (especially as they are opening in Rundle mall soon).

My question would be, on level 3 there is a new space for a mini-major on the north side of the cinema complex. Will this mean that Event Cinemas are halving in size??

nath199
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#620 Post by nath199 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Yeah looks like they've chopped out some of the cinema, it probably is too big as it is. Probably a relocated bowland or leisure centre. Even a gym perhaps.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#621 Post by crawf » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Um, given Big W is losing their space, I would have thought they'd have the rights to a new space?

Big W will be the new major store.

Foodland isn't in any of the major shopping complexes. Probably because the rents are too high and they cannot complete with the fierce competition from Woolworths, Coles and now Aldi.
Hardly, these are well established stores in Australia. Adelaide is just playing catch up.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#622 Post by Ben » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:35 pm

[Shuz] wrote:

Big W is relocated and is the major in the red section. H and M is a definite.

Patrick_27

#623 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 pm

I don't think it's going to be anything Adelaide hasn't seen before in the way of retail outlets, if it's to be an international brand it'll likely be Zara or H&M who are already here, or Apple who have been touting a store at Marion for a couple of years. As for the other mini major retail spaces, it'll probably just be other stores relocating within the centre to a bigger shop footprint...

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#624 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:41 pm
I don't think it's going to be anything Adelaide hasn't seen before in the way of retail outlets, if it's to be an international brand it'll likely be Zara or H&M who are already here, or Apple who have been touting a store at Marion for a couple of years. As for the other mini major retail spaces, it'll probably just be other stores relocating within the centre to a bigger shop footprint...
If say Lidl or Tesco wanted to setup in Adelaide, would they choose a site like Westfield Marion?

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#625 Post by nath91 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 am

Marion has the best fresh food offer in an SA centre with the 3 major supermarkets and great speciality fresh food they probably don’t need more supermarkets

Marion’s issue is a mediocre mainstream fashion and dining offer, not to mention lack of Parking.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#626 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm

nath91 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 am

Marion’s issue is a mediocre mainstream fashion and dining offer, not to mention lack of Parking.
The parking issue will, if anything, be made worse with the upgrade as the total number of parks is being reduced..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

MondayMisery
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#627 Post by MondayMisery » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:17 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm
nath91 wrote:

The parking issue will, if anything, be made worse with the upgrade as the total number of parks is being reduced..

That's the weirdest thing--there'll be a multiple-storey car park, but the spaces will be reduced by 294... I wonder what made Scentre decide on this?

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#628 Post by A-Town » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 pm

MondayMisery wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:17 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm
nath91 wrote:

That's the weirdest thing--there'll be a multiple-storey car park, but the spaces will be reduced by 294... I wonder what made Scentre decide on this?
Truly bizarre if they reduce the parking by 294. I imagine it would be chaos finding a park once the redevelopment is complete, so much so that it would turn people off from going to Marion for good. Hopefully they find a way to either increase the number of parks, or have the amount stay the same.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#629 Post by Songsting » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Perhaps they figure that if they install boom gates with paid parking after 3 hours, they get rid of some commuters using parks all day, as well as some employees using parks. Perhaps they have a plan to force employees to park further away (maybe with shuttle bus provisions) because I'd imagine currently hundreds of employees are parking at the centre. So losing commuters and employees, they believe that there will actually be more parks available.

But If they think that, they are foolish because everyone knows it's already impossible to find a park if you arrive more than 1 hour after shops open and an expansion simply creates more people wanting the same car parks. Foolish bean counters who've never actually tried parking at Marion are in charge of the decision, most likely...

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#630 Post by how good is he » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:56 pm

The new renders looked good on the news tonight but it’s almost laughable they are building a 4-storey carpark but reducing car parks by nearly 300. Maybe they need a new 6 or 8-storey carpark then? Marion Council Mayor Kris Hanna said they supported the expansion but may take up the issue of car parks with the Govt who sign off on the plans.
On a side note, I was always amazed everytime going past that it’s carpark is/was always full even during the week and would ask myself, don’t any of these people work?