[PRO] Westfield Marion (2019/20 Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: Westfield Marion (Extension)

#631 Post by Aidan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:46 am

Currently there's a 5 hour parking limit. I've hear parking inspectors marked the tyres with chalk so they could quickly tell which vehicles had been there for a long time, but the employers got wise to it and erased the marks on their lunch breaks. I don't know whether or not the parking inspectors use a more reliable method now.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#632 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:26 am

Article in the Advertiser today.

They are really slow on the ball with this one, considering it was on the news late last week.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#633 Post by ozisnowman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am

Paid Parking??? Chadstone in Melbourne does not have paid parking and they are much much more upper class than Marion. So why should SA shoppers be slugged.

If they have paid parking in Marion i will just boycott that centre. I may as well be going to the CBD then.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#634 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am
Paid Parking??? Chadstone in Melbourne does not have paid parking and they are much much more upper class than Marion. So why should SA shoppers be slugged.

If they have paid parking in Marion i will just boycott that centre. I may as well be going to the CBD then.
Plenty of shopping centres throughout Melbourne and the rest of the country has paid parking.

Plus the first 3 hours are free.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#635 Post by Eurostar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 pm

ozisnowman wrote:

So if one parks, have meal before a movie, goes to the movie, have a dessert after movie they will in most cases go over the 3 hours free parking. Even a bowling game can take a while then you got season players that might want to practise or have coffee and nibbles at the bowling alley cafe. Why should those above customers be punished for actually spending time and money.

nath91
Gold-Member ;)

#636 Post by nath91 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Why can the city get away with it all these years and not suburban centres? Rather be slugged $5 for 5 hours than $20-30 for 2 hours in town, or a $50 council issued fine.

Nathan

#637 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:42 pm
ozisnowman wrote:

So if one parks, have meal before a movie, goes to the movie, have a dessert after movie they will in most cases go over the 3 hours free parking. Even a bowling game can take a while then you got season players that might want to practise or have coffee and nibbles at the bowling alley cafe. Why should those above customers be punished for actually spending time and money.
Don't centres with activities such as cinemas or bowling normally allow you to validate for longer parking if you've done those activities?

Interesting choice of wording though. No one is being "punished". Being able to park your car somewhere is a service, which is supplied as a free courtesy up to a point.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#638 Post by rev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 am

Interesting that the unions don't seem to complain about another expansion to an already massive shopping precinct, which will bring in even more big chain stores, international ones at that.
Somehow deregulated shopping hours, or longer shopping hours, will hurt small business and they are all over it, but not more international chains moving in to town.
Not that I'm against bigger shopping centers, just find the unions to be full of them selves. No wonder they get along so well with politicians, the lot of them are self interest grubs.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#639 Post by Eurostar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 am

Aldi coming into Australia has been good in some ways. Coles and Woolworths were comfortable for far too long charging what they want, now they are more competitive. What puzzles me a little though is that Franklins in a way was similar idea to Aldi, as in generic brands no thrills stores yet went under. Even independent supermarkets such as IGA, Drakes, Foodland are getting more competitive and opening new stores.

In many countries shops are open till late.

Nort

#640 Post by Nort » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 am

rev wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 am
Interesting that the unions don't seem to complain about another expansion to an already massive shopping precinct, which will bring in even more big chain stores, international ones at that.
Somehow deregulated shopping hours, or longer shopping hours, will hurt small business and they are all over it, but not more international chains moving in to town.
Not that I'm against bigger shopping centers, just find the unions to be full of them selves. No wonder they get along so well with politicians, the lot of them are self interest grubs.
I too enjoy comparing apples and oranges.

bits
Legendary Member!

[PRO] [COM] Re: [COM] Re: Westfield Marion (Extension)

#641 Post by bits » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

rev wrote: Somehow deregulated shopping hours, or longer shopping hours, will hurt small business and they are all over it, but not more international chains moving in to town.
Unions do not care about small business they represent workers of large companies.
Unions care about the loss of social time, work-life balance and loss of income due to deregulation.

Small Business is concerned about large business choking them out due to deregulation.

Small business and unions are both against shop hour deregulation but for different reasons.

rev

#642 Post by rev » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 am
rev wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 am
I too enjoy comparing apples and oranges.
Yeh, how’s that going for you?

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#643 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm
Eurostar wrote:
ozisnowman wrote:

Don't centres with activities such as cinemas or bowling normally allow you to validate for longer parking if you've done those activities?

Interesting choice of wording though. No one is being "punished". Being able to park your car somewhere is a service, which is supplied as a free courtesy up to a point.
Correct - the Reading Cinemas at West Lakes provides this. I'm sure Event and Bowland will offer the same at Marion.

Nort

#644 Post by Nort » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm
Nathan wrote:
Eurostar wrote:

Correct - the Reading Cinemas at West Lakes provides this. I'm sure Event and Bowland will offer the same at Marion.
If the bowling alley is around, couldn't find any reference to a bowling alley in the redevelopment plans beyond a couple talking about the current use of the location.

rev

#645 Post by rev » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Nort wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm
Nathan wrote:

If the bowling alley is around, couldn't find any reference to a bowling alley in the redevelopment plans beyond a couple talking about the current use of the location.
Do the plans involve demolishing or works around Bowland? I thought they were expanding out towards Bunnings...