[CAN] Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #Proposed - Castle Plaza redevelopment

#76 Post by skyliner » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:21 pm

A great thought though Metro!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#77 Post by adam73837 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:37 pm

I also like Metro's idea and I am also curious; would it be possible to connect Raglan Avenue and Edward Street in order to create one intersection for South Road? I understand that this may increase the amount of traffic along those streets, but for the sake of South Road, wouldn't it make sense?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

rhino

#78 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 am

They've missed an opportunity to widen Wilfred and Ackland, directing traffic from Raglan that way to meet up with Edward St. Could have been much much better.
cheers,
Rhino

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#79 Post by adam73837 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Any Updates on this?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Xaragmata

#80 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 pm

Edwardstown Redevelopment advert (as in Guardian Messenger this week)

Hills site / Castle Plaza expansion - open days, info displays etc

http://www.marion.sa.gov.au/webdata/res ... y_2011.pdf

A unique mix of commercial and residential development for the former Hills site is visualised in the Castle Plaza draft masterplan, including:

› The extension of Castle Plaza Shopping Centre.
› A diverse range of residential housing
› High quality and safe public spaces
› Improved public realm with streetscape design, street furniture and landscaping
› Redirection of Ackland Ave to connect with Edward St at the South Rd intersection
› Modification of Raglan Ave to include a vibrant open air pedestrian precinct.

A community consultation program is running from 25 July to 26 August.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by JamesXander » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Every shopping centre has their plans for their big shiny new mall. I can't help but be cynical for most, they are used to keep unhappy tenants optimistic about the future more than anything. 'just wait a few years, when we complete the next stage things will improve'. From what I've heard castle plaza is a bit of a dog of a centre and with the impending commercial property value slump I just can't see this one ever happening.

giffySA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#82 Post by giffySA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:07 am

JamesXander wrote:Every shopping centre has their plans for their big shiny new mall. I can't help but be cynical for most, they are used to keep unhappy tenants optimistic about the future more than anything. 'just wait a few years, when we complete the next stage things will improve'. From what I've heard castle plaza is a bit of a dog of a centre and with the impending commercial property value slump I just can't see this one ever happening.
Why would the owner of Castle Plaza Shopping Centre (CFS Retail) have purchased the land previously owned by Hills, demolished the buildings, cleared the land and lodged plans with Charles Sturt council if this is never going to happen??

[Shuz]

#83 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 am

giffySA wrote:
JamesXander wrote:Every shopping centre has their plans for their big shiny new mall. I can't help but be cynical for most, they are used to keep unhappy tenants optimistic about the future more than anything. 'just wait a few years, when we complete the next stage things will improve'. From what I've heard castle plaza is a bit of a dog of a centre and with the impending commercial property value slump I just can't see this one ever happening.
Why would the owner of Castle Plaza Shopping Centre (CFS Retail) have purchased the land previously owned by Hills, demolished the buildings, cleared the land and lodged plans with Charles Sturt council if this is never going to happen??
Shit happens.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#84 Post by rhino » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:28 pm

giffySA wrote:Why would the owner of Castle Plaza Shopping Centre (CFS Retail) have purchased the land previously owned by Hills, demolished the buildings, cleared the land and lodged plans with Charles Sturt council if this is never going to happen??
Why they would lodge plans with Charles Sturt Council is beyond me.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#85 Post by skyliner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:17 pm

They would have done their homework on this - 'it's their job!' - as someone said. But then... think of the Hills bldg on KWS. Can't count the chooks berore they've hatched.

SA - STATE ON THE RISE (Except the SE - might as well be another state)
Jack.

giffySA
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#86 Post by giffySA » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 pm

rhino wrote:
giffySA wrote:Why would the owner of Castle Plaza Shopping Centre (CFS Retail) have purchased the land previously owned by Hills, demolished the buildings, cleared the land and lodged plans with Charles Sturt council if this is never going to happen??
Why they would lodge plans with Charles Sturt Council is beyond me.
Oops ... I meant Marion.

In your reply you forgot to enlighten us as to why CFS Retail have purchased the land, demolished the buildings, changed the zoning of the land (from industrial to mixed use), and submitted plans to appease current tenants.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Will » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:04 pm

From the Messenger:
EPA gives Hills site green light

Local News5 Aug 11 @ 09:36am by Kane McKay

REMEDIATED: The EPA says the former Hills Industries site at Edwardstown has been appropriately remediated.

THE Castle Plaza redevelopment is a step closer to going ahead, after the Environmental Protection Authority deemed the land has been remediated to appropriate levels.

A spokesman for Colonial First State, who owns the former Hills Industries site on South Rd, confirmed the EPA had given the land the thumbs up.

“I can confirm that the site has now been remediated and we have satisfied the Independent Auditor appointed by the EPA,” the spokesman said.

Under the proposed redevelopment, Castle Plaza would double in size and high-density housing would be built on the site.

The public now has the chance to share its vision for the development as part of Marion Council’s community consultation, running until August 26

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by JamesXander » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 am

As I said in the Marion thread, I just can't see any huge upgrades of existing shopping centres going ahead for atleast a few more years, or until the current retail environment changes. Many retailers are closing stores, not opening, Especially is existing centres that at best produce average sales!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:08 pm

The old Hills industries buildings are currently being demolished by Mcmahon Services.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#90 Post by Ben » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:42 pm

South Road will be partially closed this weekend for the demolition of remaining buildings on the hills site along south road.