[CAN] Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #Proposed - Castle Plaza redevelopment

#16 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:02 pm

How is the purchased site adjacent to Castle Plaza? I thought the Hills property was a block down from Castle Plaza on 944-956 South Rd. If that's the case, I don't see how any development there would be connected to Castle Plaza. In any event, although Castle Plaza does need redevelopment, expansion might oversaturate the area. There are several small to medium centres (on Marion Road, Goodwood Road, and at Park Holme [which could do with being knocked down and started again]) nearby, and Marion is itself being expanded not so far down the way.
Keep Adelaide Weird

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:06 pm

Don't knock down Park Holme Shopping center!!! it looks like parliament house!!!lol

Seriously through yeah it is a bit old and shabby.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#18 Post by Cruise » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:28 am

pushbutton wrote:
Ok but I still think IN THEORY (only) it would be a great idea.
Also in theory(only) communism works.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#19 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:35 pm

As someone who uses the centre very often and cannot stand its aesthetics, I would rather the money be used in making the centre look more modern and bright. Needs to get rid of the dull and ugly tiles and put some nice white ones in.

I'm surprised that this development isnt coming with a cinema though...despite the fact that with the opening of Mitcham Wallis, the area is certainly well saturated.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:58 pm

SRW wrote:How is the purchased site adjacent to Castle Plaza? I thought the Hills property was a block down from Castle Plaza on 944-956 South Rd.
Nope, Hills is across the street from Castle Plaza. You're probably thinking of Bridgestone, which is the red brick building fronting South Road that's further along from Castle Plaza. The Hills site fronts South Road and reaches back to the Noarlunga rail line.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by ReallyBad » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:44 pm

In today's Guardian Messenger
Plaza heads for the Hills

Adam Todd

17Jul07

THE Castle Plaza Shopping Centre will expand on to part of the former Hills Industries site, on the northern side of Raglan Ave, as part of an $80million development.

The shopping centre would almost double in size, with Raglan Ave turned into a retail strip with street-facing shops on either side.
Centre owner Colonial First State Retail Property Trust this month bought the Hills Industries site for $25million in preparation for the expansion.
The Edwardstown shopping centre's floor space would increase from 22,000sqm to 41,000sqm, paving the way for a new supermarket, discount department store, and several speciality shops to move in.
The existing Castle Plaza centre would also be upgraded.
At least 2.5ha of the southern end of the former Hills site would be used for the expanded centre.
Colonial fund manager Michael Gorman said increasing retail demand at the centre warranted an expansion.
``Castle Plaza has a very strong local demographic,'' he said.
Plans are yet to be lodged with Marion Council for the expansion. Mr Gorman would not specify when Colonial would lodge a development application, only that it would be before July 2009.
Castle Plaza, built in 1987, underwent a $1.3 million upgrade in 2000.
The South Rd shopping centre has a Target, Coles supermarket and more than 60 specialty shops.
Castle Plaza's planned redevelopment comes just three months after Westfield unveiled plans for a $280 million redevelopment of Marion Shopping Centre, 3km away.
Westfield's proposal would increase its retail floor space to more than 150,000sq m with an additional 90 shops. Cost estimates forecast Castle Plaza would lose $6.5 million in annual retail sales as a result of Westfield's expansion.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Thats gonna be a fairly big local shopping centre!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by bmw boy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:44 pm

i wonder what this discount department store will be

there is already a Target

Big W is just around the corner at cumberland park and K mart is also near at Kurrulta Park... with both also having stores in Marion.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Shuz » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 am

The Reject shop? lol... now thats discounted.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:53 pm

bmw boy wrote:Big W is just around the corner at cumberland park and K mart is also near at Kurrulta Park... with both also having stores in Marion.
My bet is on BigW moving or Harris Scarfe opening a store despite them both being at Marion, since the Colonnades Harris Scarfe store is reverting back to Myer. Hell, BigW might stay put and open another one - they have a store at Seaford and one five minutes away at Colonnades! I don't think K Mart will be it because Coles is in an utter mess at the moment.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#26 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Kmart will be losing its branding and will form Coles Megastore or something of that nature in the future.
Would be good for them to open a real department store there...like Myer or David Jones!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by crawf » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:46 pm

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:Kmart will be losing its branding and will form Coles Megastore or something of that nature in the future.
Would be good for them to open a real department store there...like Myer or David Jones!
Myer and DJs are just down the road at Marion :shock:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:03 pm

AHHHH who cares.....the more the merrier!!!

im sure they will make money!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by bmw boy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:36 pm

lol I highly doubt a david jones at castle plaza would be feasable nor needed.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by pushbutton » Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:43 pm

There will definately not be a David Jones there, but Myer is a possibility because I do know they are looking for more sites in Adelaide. Also Myer is no longer aiming to be an up-market department store as it was, and they are willing to open smaller stores so I think Castle Plaza could be a possible site for a small format Myer, like at Colonnades (although they haven't committed to this yet as far as I am aware).