[CAN] Castle Plaza Shopping Centre Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed - Castle Plaza redevelopment

#91 Post by Ben » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Seems I'm the only one interested in this development but will keep posting anyway lol. Entire hills site is now demolished and currently being cleared. This site is HUGE. this development could be amazing. The government should buy up some of the land along the current road so it can be expended into 2x3 later.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#92 Post by SRW » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:54 pm

No, I'm interested. Thanks for your updates!
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#93 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Also interested...presents as such a tremendous opportunity...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#94 Post by Ben » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks guys will keep the updates coming.

As far as I know this development hasn't been approved yet though as it only went to public consultation a couple of months back?

The site is truly massive.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#95 Post by Wayno » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:46 pm

yep massive is right - it's 16 hectares located only 5km from the city centre, and on the rail line. It's also one of Adelaide's first privately funded TODs! I realise this is already well known, but it's worth restating.

Such is the scale and proximity that owners of Centro Kurralta Park are sh!tt!ing themselves due to the expected negative impact on their trading. Even those behind a new supermarket proposed for the corner of marion rd/anzac hwy are concerned enough to put their plans on hold.

I hope the Castle Plaza development will be integrated with the govt's goal of a non-stop South Rd. So if they're thinking strategically they should be guiding, and contributing financially, to aspects of this project.

I suspect the project will also spur a mini-building boom in the immediate surrounding area. There's plenty of 1/4 acre blocks ripe for subdivision.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

metro
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by metro » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:08 pm

hopefully the state government has the foresight to reserve space for their non-stop south road and a for new railway station for Edwardstown to replace the other two stations at Edwardstown and Woodlands Park.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#97 Post by Xaragmata » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:21 am

I'm also interested - it's not a place I normally get to.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:07 pm

metro wrote:hopefully the state government has the foresight to reserve space for their non-stop south road and a for new railway station for Edwardstown to replace the other two stations at Edwardstown and Woodlands Park.
The possibility of an 'Edwardstown Interchange' sounds good! Replacing Woodlands Park and Edwardstown stations with a new mega station next to the new section of the shopping centre, with lots of parking and feeder bus services would be awesome!

rhino

#99 Post by rhino » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm

As I've mentioned somewhere before, I hope that someone has the foresight to swing the end of Raglan Ave to the north to line up with Edward Street. And thanks for the updates Ben :)
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#100 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:26 pm

rhino wrote:As I've mentioned somewhere before, I hope that someone has the foresight to swing the end of Raglan Ave to the north to line up with Edward Street. And thanks for the updates Ben :)
They're doing that.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#101 Post by rhino » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
rhino wrote:As I've mentioned somewhere before, I hope that someone has the foresight to swing the end of Raglan Ave to the north to line up with Edward Street. And thanks for the updates Ben :)
They're doing that.
Well, sort of. I think it could be done a lot better. What they're doing will turn Grange/Edward and Bray/Raglan into access roads for Castle Plaza rather than a through-route. But then maybe that's their intention.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#102 Post by skyliner » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:24 pm

I used to live near this area and saw it often - interested in the outcomes - esp. if South Rd is re developed with it.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#103 Post by Adeguy72 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Wayno wrote:Such is the scale and proximity that owners of Centro Kurralta Park are sh!tt!ing themselves due to the expected negative impact on their trading. Even those behind a new supermarket proposed for the corner of marion rd/anzac hwy are concerned enough to put their plans on hold.
Isn't Kurralta Park too far away to be impacted by Castle Plaza redevelopment?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 am

Adeguy72 wrote:Isn't Kurralta Park too far away to be impacted by Castle Plaza redevelopment?
I happen to know that Centro, the owners of the Kurralta Park shopping centre (where Kmart & Coles are located), are pricing in a reasonably substantial fall in customer numbers (basic grocery/clothing shopping) once the Castle Plaza redevelopment is complete. The owners of the shopping mall on the corner of marion rd/anzac hwy have the same concern.

Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

#105 Post by Adeguy72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:28 pm

OK - Interesting.

Must admit I hardly ever go to Kuralta Park Shopping Centre - unless driving past. I wouldn't call it a destination shopping centre.

Will be good once castle Plaza receives a facelift - it is looking very tired.

Does any one know what tenants will be moving in - I assume an extra discount department store & maybe a mini major or 2? Best & Less would probably trade well there given the demographics of the area?