News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
SBD
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 183
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#226 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm
mshagg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm
Not sure if anyone uses linear park west of the city, but the port road underpass has been a bit of a running saga. It fell into disrepair and the council (Charles Sturt's) response was to erect signs instructing people to dismount from their bikes (nb: we didn't). They re-did the timber a number of weeks ago and managed to make it 100000x times worse in the process, as subsequent warping of the planks has made the surface borderline unrideable on even a fairly forgiving bike.

An extract of an email I received from the bridge asset manager:
The decking boards that were replaced have now started to undergo shrinkage and cupping – as timber is a natural material this cannot be avoided. These minor issues have been identified and will go into our future maintenance/rehab program. I do agree that the timber planks are not great for rideability and in future years when the entire underpass is renewed/replaced timber will not be the choice for the decking.
tl;dr - if you use the port road underpass, get used to the surface or start using the road lol.
I use this underpass everyday, and 'not great for rideability' is a huge understatement! I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon though - the timber that was there previously was at least 20 years old so it could be quite a while before the new stuff gets replaced. Crossing on the surface isn't really worth it - there are 3 sets of lights to get from one side of Port Rd to the other, and they are not synced, so it can take 5-10 minutes. I don't see why the council didn't fix it properly from the outset - they had a large pool of state & federal money left over from the Holland St bridge repair which had to be spent on work like this.
If this was a timber deck in a rotunda or something, the solution would be an industrial floor sander to address the "natural cupping". It should be the same for the bridge. Since they want a non-slip surface, it doesn't even need ot be done multiple times with progressively finer sanding. the coarse version would be sufficient!

Listy
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:07 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#227 Post by Listy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:47 pm
Listy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm
mshagg wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:44 pm
Not sure if anyone uses linear park west of the city, but the port road underpass has been a bit of a running saga. It fell into disrepair and the council (Charles Sturt's) response was to erect signs instructing people to dismount from their bikes (nb: we didn't). They re-did the timber a number of weeks ago and managed to make it 100000x times worse in the process, as subsequent warping of the planks has made the surface borderline unrideable on even a fairly forgiving bike.

An extract of an email I received from the bridge asset manager:



tl;dr - if you use the port road underpass, get used to the surface or start using the road lol.
I use this underpass everyday, and 'not great for rideability' is a huge understatement! I doubt it will be replaced anytime soon though - the timber that was there previously was at least 20 years old so it could be quite a while before the new stuff gets replaced. Crossing on the surface isn't really worth it - there are 3 sets of lights to get from one side of Port Rd to the other, and they are not synced, so it can take 5-10 minutes. I don't see why the council didn't fix it properly from the outset - they had a large pool of state & federal money left over from the Holland St bridge repair which had to be spent on work like this.
If this was a timber deck in a rotunda or something, the solution would be an industrial floor sander to address the "natural cupping". It should be the same for the bridge. Since they want a non-slip surface, it doesn't even need ot be done multiple times with progressively finer sanding. the coarse version would be sufficient!
You're right - remediating the bumps shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of how long we have to wait before the council gets around to doing it. At least the nearby section of path that was slowly collapsing into the river has now been properly repaired.

User avatar
mshagg
Legendary Member!
Posts: 510
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 119 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#228 Post by mshagg » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:44 pm

They did note in their response they wanted to use a composite material but were knocked back on external funding.

Also noted audits are underway for bridges in the council boundaries and they expect this underpass to come back as "good condition", which I expect will determine the time frame for remediation.

ralmin
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:38 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#229 Post by ralmin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 pm

On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
Vancouver’s Union Street. Fun fact: one local restauranteur opposed this project in 2013, claiming it would “cut him off at the knees”. Twelve months later, he was on the record stating business was better than ever, largely in part to an increase in tourists riding bikes there.
Image

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#230 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:41 am

Looks like ofo have brought in reinforcements...

Image

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#231 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am

Plus now Charles Sturt are officially on board

Image

User avatar
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2636
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: Bowden
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 364 times
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#232 Post by Nathan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

How do the two zones work? I can't seem to find any information about it. Are you allowed to take a bike from one zone into another?

On an aside, I'm guessing they have a base in Kent Town behind Bunnings. There's a tiny tiny zone marked on the map, which has a preferred parking marker and a heap of bikes.

User avatar
Llessur2002
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 389 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#233 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am
How do the two zones work? I can't seem to find any information about it. Are you allowed to take a bike from one zone into another?

On an aside, I'm guessing they have a base in Kent Town behind Bunnings. There's a tiny tiny zone marked on the map, which has a preferred parking marker and a heap of bikes.
As far as I know, yes. I think it's just one big zone - not sure why it's portrayed as two on the map.

Will be great for those days when I can't ride into work in the mornings for one reason for the other but would like to ride home and vice versa.

User avatar
Kasey771
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#234 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm

ralmin wrote:On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
Vancouver’s Union Street. Fun fact: one local restauranteur opposed this project in 2013, claiming it would “cut him off at the knees”. Twelve months later, he was on the record stating business was better than ever, largely in part to an increase in tourists riding bikes there.
Image
I can’t for the life of me figure out why it is so hard to get something like this built in Adelaide? I mean there’s a tonne of evidence from cities around the world including in car-centric countries like America that these bikeways are overwhelmingly a plus for cities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nort
Legendary Member!
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:08 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#235 Post by Nort » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:44 pm
ralmin wrote:On Twitter, Modacity wrote:
Vancouver’s Union Street. Fun fact: one local restauranteur opposed this project in 2013, claiming it would “cut him off at the knees”. Twelve months later, he was on the record stating business was better than ever, largely in part to an increase in tourists riding bikes there.
Image
I can’t for the life of me figure out why it is so hard to get something like this built in Adelaide? I mean there’s a tonne of evidence from cities around the world including in car-centric countries like America that these bikeways are overwhelmingly a plus for cities.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you will find those people are wastefully using the road for transport as opposed to letting it take its rightful place as a parking lot.

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 4764
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 676 times

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling Infrastructure

#236 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm

Some photos from the city bikeway between Pirie and Grenfell Streets.

Image

Image

Image

Image

This part confuses me, which part is the bikeway?

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Eurostar, ralmin and 5 guests