[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3016 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:59 pm

HeapsGood wrote:Expected speed limit is 80 kmh right?
Yep

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3017 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 am

I would have loved to attend the T2T Community Day today, but won't be able to make it. If anyone here goes, feel free to share some great photos!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3018 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 am

All going well, the Sensational Adelaide Facebook page will be hosting a live stream of the event today.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#3019 Post by Hooligan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:44 am

Why would you host the open day on Sanfl grand final day?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3020 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:50 am

Wish I was there but I’m still in Perth. Flying home later tonight.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3021 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 am

Rode through this morning - loads of people walking, and running and hundreds of cyclists all ages :)

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3022 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:50 am

I rode through the T2T this morning. The rollercoasters nature of the freeway is very obvious when you ride it on a bike. There is a major rise in the lowered motorway between Hawker Street and Torrens Road with a lesser rise between the outer harbour railway line and Hawker Street. I can only assumed that this was done to reduce construction costs by reducing excavation and retaining wall height or avoiding existing pipelines. However, the rise between Hawker Street and Torrens Road does mean that an accident beyond the rise will not be seen until you are close to it. This may raise a safety issue. It may be one reason why the speed limit is set as low as 80.

Line markings and cat's eyes have been installed for the full length of the motorway on both carriageways. It appears that the final wearing course only remains to be put in place at each end where the lowered motorway joins the old road and on the surface roads.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#3023 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Looks great!! Can’t wait to see it in person myself!
Last edited by timtam20292 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3024 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:23 pm

You can watch the bus tour video here: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 2099556310

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3025 Post by Listy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:45 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:50 am
I rode through the T2T this morning. The rollercoasters nature of the freeway is very obvious when you ride it on a bike. There is a major rise in the lowered motorway between Hawker Street and Torrens Road with a lesser rise between the outer harbour railway line and Hawker Street. I can only assumed that this was done to reduce construction costs by reducing excavation and retaining wall height or avoiding existing pipelines. However, the rise between Hawker Street and Torrens Road does mean that an accident beyond the rise will not be seen until you are close to it. This may raise a safety issue. It may be one reason why the speed limit is set as low as 80.

Line markings and cat's eyes have been installed for the full length of the motorway on both carriageways. It appears that the final wearing course only remains to be put in place at each end where the lowered motorway joins the old road and on the surface roads.
Yes, the dips and climbs were a lot of fun this morning on the bike! 80 compared to 100 only adds about 3.5 minutes travel time for the 19km length from the Superway to Sthn Expressway. When its eventually completed, the real time saving will lie in the removal of the 30 or so traffic lights along that stretch - that'll be worth 20-30 minutes in peak hour.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3026 Post by rev » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:02 pm

mawsonguy wrote:

That’s where the ITS speed signs come into play along with the CCTV that is setup along the route.
When an accident or traffic hazard incident is detected or reported the speed limits are dropped. It has happened numerous times on the Superway.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3027 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:08 pm

mawsonguy wrote:

The tour guide on my bus mentioned it was designed like this to help offset driver fatigue - you're likely to be more alert to a road that isn't a complete straight line.

The open day was pretty good all up. Surprisingly there seemed to be a fair amount of people booking guided bus tours then not turning up. I was going to take an unguided tour (as the guided ones were an extra hour wait), but I was hanging around the tour bus stop and 5 minutes after the tour was due to start they said there were some spare spots on the bus does anyone else want on.

Like most of these walkarounds, it's a nice novelty to walk around on infrastructure you're unlikely going to be walking on again.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3028 Post by neoballmon » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Was a good day and well set up. Would have been nice if more tours were guided though as it was almost 2 hours from when I got there until the next available one, so just took a basic one.

Who recorded the live Facebook video? I was on that same tour! (I can tell because of the lady getting out of her car in front of the bus)
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3029 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:37 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm
Was a good day and well set up. Would have been nice if more tours were guided though as it was almost 2 hours from when I got there until the next available one, so just took a basic one.

Who recorded the live Facebook video? I was on that same tour! (I can tell because of the lady getting out of her car in front of the bus)
I recorded that video :)

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3030 Post by Furyan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Another pic from Sunday under the Port Road Bridge setting up for the Community Day
20180923_091110.jpg
20180923_091110.jpg (143.85 KiB) Viewed 2680 times