News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of suburban rail networ

#1546 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 am

It sounded both too good, and too silly, to be true, so thanks for clearing that up!

I'm really quite suprised that theye taken the axe to PT funding so quickly, over Adelaide Oval.
I don't think too many people would have complained I we had got away with one less video screen, or the footbridge or something there.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#1547 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am

[Shuz] wrote:It sounded both too good, and too silly, to be true, so thanks for clearing that up!

I'm really quite suprised that theye taken the axe to PT funding so quickly, over Adelaide Oval.
I don't think too many people would have complained I we had got away with one less video screen, or the footbridge or something there.
you are kidding right?

if they had touched AO there would have been screams of bloody murder, ugh I can hear the conversations already "2nd rate" "done by halves" etc etc

with the PT, thje Government really only has to deal with the users of the line, and as someone previously pointed out, the trains will still run

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1548 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:26 am

TBH I believe the railway electrification of all train lines is more important than a 2.8km elevated highway. Sure it's an impressive piece of infrastructure but Adelaide has suffered long enough with it's pathetic old railway network. This should of have taken more priority first before the South Road Superway, far too late now..

Waewick is right, the Adelaide Oval Redevelopment has already been one continuous long controversial project so to scrap the luxuries of the footbridge, extra video screens and things would make the project look second-class and cheap. There is also the State Election in 2014....

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#1549 Post by mutt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:30 am

jk1237 wrote:
mutt wrote:
why? many more people would view that as a higher priority

what's electrification on the Gawler line going to achieve anyway? its not like there is no train to and from Gawler now, and they run frequently enough
and whats the duplication of the southern expressway going to achieve considering there are 2 capable arterial roads to the south that more than easily take traffic going against peak hour.
Nearly all metropolitan rail systems in the world are electrified, do they know something we dont know?

and why am I arguing against a petrol brained troll?
you're arguing with yourself
adhominems dont strengthen your argument

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#1550 Post by mutt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:33 am

Waewick wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:It sounded both too good, and too silly, to be true, so thanks for clearing that up!

you are kidding right?

if they had touched AO there would have been screams of bloody murder, ugh I can hear the conversations already "2nd rate" "done by halves" etc etc

with the PT, thje Government really only has to deal with the users of the line, and as someone previously pointed out, the trains will still run
Adelaide Oval is the coliseum for bread and circuses
every government needs to keep the great unwashed distracted and entertained lest they turn their attention back to the government itself

ChillyPhilly

#1551 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:39 am

crawf wrote:TBH I believe the railway electrification of all train lines is more important than a 2.8km elevated highway. Sure it's an impressive piece of infrastructure but Adelaide has suffered long enough with it's pathetic old railway network. This should of have taken more priority first before the South Road Superway, far too late now..

Waewick is right, the Adelaide Oval Redevelopment has already been one continuous long controversial project so to scrap the luxuries of the footbridge, extra video screens and things would make the project look second-class and cheap. There is also the State Election in 2014....
Nail. Head.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#1552 Post by Waewick » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:41 am

Mutt you are actually dead right.

but you could say the same for a lot of non core government expenditure that the states hand out.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#1553 Post by mutt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:42 am

crawf wrote:TBH I believe the railway electrification of all train lines is more important than a 2.8km elevated highway. Sure it's an impressive piece of infrastructure but Adelaide has suffered long enough with it's pathetic old railway network. This should of have taken more priority first before the South Road Superway, far too late now..

except the superway has already started, would be madness to halt it now. the state government probably believed they could afford both until Gillard screwed their plans

ChillyPhilly

#1554 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:44 am

Norman wrote:There are actually 22 new trains, they all run in sets of 3. Also, apparently some of the train order has been placed on hold or they are negotiating that right now.
Also, IIRC, some of the 3000-class will be converted to electric, with at the very least a number of them being converted to permanent doubles.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1555 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Have those mining royalties started flowing in yet?......

Sigh.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1556 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:40 pm

mutt wrote:

except the superway has already started, would be madness to halt it now. the state government probably believed they could afford both until Gillard screwed their plans
Yes.

Nort

#1557 Post by Nort » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Apart from involving the word transport they are completely different projects though.

How does electrification of the passenger train lines affect freight movement from the mid-North to the Port?

How does the improvement of freight movement from the Port to the mid-North affect passenger train lines?

I'm curious to know how you would go about prioritizing one over the other given the totally different needs each project is intended to fix.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#1558 Post by mattblack » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:F*!# stupid government, further disrupt the Tonsley Line bloody wan|<ers.
Do you know another way of putting in a rail underpass to free up the freight line and to resleeper the line without disruptions? We should be thankful for the feds foe dishing us out the cash. I use the Clarence pk station daily and Im not concerned. Whats the problem?

GazzaAU
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1559 Post by GazzaAU » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:42 pm

I guess this is State Labour buckling to the pressure of the federal government. We couldn't possibly have efficient new electric trains when we have to pay all this Carbon Tax could we. Superway and Expressway given priority over public transport I wonder why the Carbon Tax cash register must be chinging already. Kaching.

GazzaAU
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1560 Post by GazzaAU » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 pm

No wonder our state finances are up the proverbial creek our Treasurer has a BA Degree rather than a Accounting or Finance Degree. No wonder we get this sort of bull after all he is a qualified Bullshit Artist.