News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#1936 Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 pm

buildit83 wrote:
Colen001 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/hallett-c ... 6626060819

Nimbyism at its finest! I mean come on....

First fried Koalas now the views are being destroyed what are they thinking! :roll: *insert sarcasm here*
Whats more annoying is the fact that the Advertiser are giving these morons a voice! :wallbash:
Whats even more annoying is the assumption here that these people are morons. They're not objecting to the electrification. All they're objecting to is the location of a bit of extra infrastructure associated with it. Whether or not you not changes should be made in response to their objection, the objection itself is perfectly reasonable and the people making it don't deserve to be insulted.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Colen001
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1937 Post by Colen001 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I am sorry if I insulted anyone. I understand that they are not objecting to the electrification but I mean surely the spacing and position of the poles has been worked out to the millimeter of where they can be placed, and yes it is a shame that it will obstruct their view but at the end of the day if you buy a house next to a train line and then when a few poles go up request them to be moved because of a "view" surely you know its going to be difficult to achieve. It's the same story with airports changing flight paths, freight trains in the hills etc etc etc. You buy the house with the knowledge that it all may be different one day. Of course they have a right to object and I do hope that there can be some compromise met, but moving them down the street one way or the other just puts them in someone elses view and thus creates another "obstruction" for someone else to complain about.

claybro

#1938 Post by claybro » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Aidan wrote:Whats even more annoying is the assumption here that these people are morons. They're not objecting to the electrification. All they're objecting to is the location of a bit of extra infrastructure associated with it. Whether or not you not changes should be made in response to their objection, the objection itself is perfectly reasonable and the people making it don't deserve to be insulted.
Presumably they purchased their houses at a discounted rate due to its proximity to a railway.The railway was there before the houses. That they now complain about infastructure associated with the railway is a bit rich.

Vjkdigital
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1939 Post by Vjkdigital » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 am

I bet they won't be complaining about the almost complete silence of the electrics replacing the diesels.

Aidan

#1940 Post by Aidan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 am

Colen001 wrote:I am sorry if I insulted anyone. I understand that they are not objecting to the electrification but I mean surely the spacing and position of the poles has been worked out to the millimeter of where they can be placed, and yes it is a shame that it will obstruct their view but at the end of the day if you buy a house next to a train line and then when a few poles go up request them to be moved because of a "view" surely you know its going to be difficult to achieve. It's the same story with airports changing flight paths, freight trains in the hills etc etc etc. You buy the house with the knowledge that it all may be different one day. Of course they have a right to object and I do hope that there can be some compromise met, but moving them down the street one way or the other just puts them in someone elses view and thus creates another "obstruction" for someone else to complain about.
I doubt you insulted anyone, but did you actually read the article you linked to? The objection isn't to the normal support poles for the wire, but rather the much bigger poles, about a mile apart, that are used for tensioning the lines. She's suggesting it be moved 100m or so south, where it would not block anyone's view. AFAIK there's no good technical reason not to, though I can't be sure because I don't know the exact specifications nor the cost of moving them.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1941 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:39 am

A house approx. where the pole is, was listed for sale recently - it now seems sold, maybe the angry resident is the new owner.

Colen001
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1942 Post by Colen001 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 am

Of course I read the article prior to putting it up. You would assume that being a tensioning pole than it would need to be placed at a correct interval, and yes at 8m it is fairly tall and would obstruct their views, but as DPTI have said in the article there has been a fair bit of consideration and many factors deciding where they have been placed and it is not viable to move it. I would assume being that the train line is stepped down around 4 meters from Columbia Cres that only half of that pole is visible anyway, making it not the giant that they are reporting.

The Scooter Guy

#1943 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:04 pm

More pics from me, taken today!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Colen001
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1944 Post by Colen001 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 am

Excellent pics! Can't wait for September, buses just aren't the same....Be interesting to know how well the grade separation is going especially with Belair reopening in June? Good to see some progress though.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#1945 Post by jase111 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Are the concrete sleepers sa made or from acrross the border ????

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1946 Post by buildit83 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:08 am

I've noticed over the past 2 weeks or so that trains have switched over to platforms 1-5 at Adelaide Railway Station, after these platforms being disused for awhile now since the Tonsley, Seaford and Belair lines have been out of action. There is some sort of construction happening on the ceiling above the tracks under the convention centre and deep into the station on platforms 6-9. does anyone know if this is work for overhead cabling for the electric trains coming later in the year or something else? if this is the case I would have thought they would be putting the cabling up on platform 1-5 first given the Tonsley and Seaford trains from memory usually depart/terminate on that side of ARS.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1947 Post by Milkomeda » Thu May 09, 2013 8:50 am

buildit83 wrote:I've noticed over the past 2 weeks or so that trains have switched over to platforms 1-5 at Adelaide Railway Station, after these platforms being disused for awhile now since the Tonsley, Seaford and Belair lines have been out of action. There is some sort of construction happening on the ceiling above the tracks under the convention centre and deep into the station on platforms 6-9. does anyone know if this is work for overhead cabling for the electric trains coming later in the year or something else? if this is the case I would have thought they would be putting the cabling up on platform 1-5 first given the Tonsley and Seaford trains from memory usually depart/terminate on that side of ARS.
From my understanding this work under the bridge is to prepare for electric trains however since the Noarlunga Line and Belair Lines are currently closed the government has probably used this opportunity to prepare the other side of the ARS which services the west and northern lines under the bridge for electric trains as well since Adelaide Metro is only servicing half of the network so its easier for workers to upgrade the entire bridge since the south and eastern lines are currently closed. Im sure cabling on platforms 1-5 will go up first after works on the area from 6-9 are done. Keep in mind they still have plenty of time since they still have until July for the Belair Line and September for the Noarlunga Line and its entirely possible Adelaide Metro may only allow weekday services on the Noarlunga Line and have substitute buses running on weekend until all electrification work along the line is complete.

buildit83
Gold-Member ;)

#1948 Post by buildit83 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 am

okey that makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up

Xaragmata

#1949 Post by Xaragmata » Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Keswick, Wayville & Leader Street - last week:

[Shuz]

#1950 Post by [Shuz] » Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 pm

In the second pic it looks like a very tight squeeze for two tracks to fit in between the left hand showgrounds platform and the new island platform?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.